• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Call from RCI

Reaction score
Helo, I got a call from RCI last night, the jist of which I apparently have 6 free weeks of vacations that I can use with them in lieu of my Wyndham points. The man told me I can book them and sell them off if I wanted to or use them for my personal use. Have any of you ever heard of this before???

Reaction score
Yeah. Im gonna call the guy back later and find out whats going on. Seems too good to be true.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Yeah. Im gonna call the guy back later and find out whats going on. Seems too good to be true.

You might try using the numbers for RCI on their site instead of whatever number the guy gave you. This would be a good way to see if it was really RCI, which isn’t too likely.

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
Helo, I got a call from RCI last night, the jist of which I apparently have 6 free weeks of vacations that I can use with them in lieu of my Wyndham points. The man told me I can book them and sell them off if I wanted to or use them for my personal use. Have any of you ever heard of this before???

I get these calls all the time. Not from RCI. They say they are 'calling on behalf of RCI' and other similar language.

I keep trying to catch them in an actual lie, but they 'dance a little sidestep' and repeat the same lines. Extremely misleading, but not an outright lie.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
They typically tell you they can get you big bucks for these weeks. I tell them "Okay, sounds great! I only want $800 for each week. So how many weeks do you want and what is the email address I can send a PayPal invoice to for you to pay me for these weeks to get this started?" They hang up on me every single time. Lol.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
It’s a scam. I received a call telling me I can sell RCI getaways for a profit.

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
*Smh "i got a call out of the blue offering me a great timeshare deal" posted for the 1000th time

Sent from my SM-A505G using Tapatalk

Xcalibur

Reaction score
*Smh "i got a call out of the blue offering me a great timeshare deal" posted for the 1000th time

Better to ask for clarification than to get suckered. We've all known or possibly been suckered ourselves at one point or another. I for one am glad the OP posted.

goaliedave

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree, Diamond (bought by Hilton), Shell (bought by Wyndham), Sheraton (bought by Marriott), Palace Resorts, a few independants
Better to ask for clarification than to get suckered. We've all known or possibly been suckered ourselves at one point or another. I for one am glad the OP posted.
Oh post away. Better though to read the back threads to learn that there has never been such a call that was a good deal. Just hang up, as others have said.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Don’t call, Fake. Call back and they probably will keep calling you with other scams.

Do a reverse phone lookup. It will probably confirm this unless they changed their phone number recently which I assume they do often.

ginah777

TUG Member
Reaction score
I received the call, as well. I wondered how they knew I had an RCI membership.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
From RCI‘s Fraud Alert Page (link)

Consumer Alert: Telemarketing Frauds
From time to time, RCI becomes aware of third party companies attempting to defraud RCI Members and timeshare owners. Recently, RCI has learned of several trends in consumer telemarketing frauds relating to the timeshare and exchange industry that we feel is important to bring to your attention.

The scams vary, but all of them seek either personal information or money. Here are some examples:

• Caller claims to be calling about your recent or past RCI vacations or resort vacations.
  • Caller asks you to take a survey regarding your timeshare ownership.
  • Caller invites you to an RCI update, dinner or meeting.
  • Caller offers to rent your "getaway weeks", "bonus weeks" or otherwise rent your timeshare week with the promise of sharing the rental profits with you, but requires payment of an upfront fee.
  • Caller poses as RCI, claims you have RCI weeks left over and offers to purchase them back on behalf of RCI, but requires payment of an upfront fee.
Often these callers are fraudulently stating or implying that they are RCI, authorized by RCI to make offers, or they are somehow affiliated with RCI. These companies use the name of the RCI exchange programs, or refer to RCI terminology and products, to legitimatize the offer.

Many of these calls originate from "spoofed" or fake telephone numbers. Sometimes the calls give the appearance that RCI is calling when in actuality RCI is not the caller. "Neighbor spoofing" is also used where the calls show up on your “Caller ID” using your same area code and telephone number prefix, leading you to believe it is a local call.

Please know that these calls are not from RCI, and RCI does not approve or in any way endorse these calls or offers.

What should you do if you are contacted with one of these offers?
  1. Be Cautious. Be wary of upfront fees. Typically, legitimate resale and listing companies do not collect an upfront fee or request your credit card or bank account information on a call.
  2. Ask Questions. Gather specific information about the company calling you, including the name of the company, the full name of the individual, the number they are calling you from and the day and time of the call(s).
  3. Know Your Rights. Often these companies are calling you in violation of do-not-call rules. If your number is on the national Do-Not-Call Registry or the Do-Not-Call list in your state of residence, and you do not have an established business relationship with the calling company, you may have reason to file a complaint against the company with federal and/or state regulators.
  4. Check the Validity of the Offer. Check various complaint board websites, including the Better Business Bureau, Federal Trade Commission and American Resort Development Association websites, to gauge the legitimacy of the company and the offer. And, please know that RCI can always validate any special offers that may be active by calling 1-800-338-7777 or 317-805-8000. Don’t hesitate to ask! This will allow you to have confidence in knowing it is RCI calling.
We are here to help you plan and enjoy the vacation of your dreams. If you need any further assistance, please don’t hesitate to visit us at RCI.com or call us at 317-805-8000 or our toll free line at 1-800-338-7777.