• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Cabs in Puerto Vallarta

mtwingcpa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
I'll be visiting Puerto Vallarta (by cruise ship) in a couple of weeks but can't find any city tours that interest me. Mostly I want to see the Malecon boardwalk area, and I don't want to be rushed for time.

So my question is, how easy or difficult is it to take cabs in Puerto Vallarta? Can I simply flag down a cab on the street to get back to the cruise ship dock? Can I pay in US currency? Do drivers understand enough English (I don't speak Spanish)?

I've never done cabs before in Mexico, so any other advice would be appreciated! :)

nickis

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can catch the local bus from most resort it's a fun ride and really cheap, little bit of a chicken run nevr now what you'll see on it. I remember passing my famillies fare down the line on a full bus and every cent of change made it back to us gave you that warm fuzzy feeling.
Taxis are easy to find always ask the fare before you get in so you don't get a surprise at the end.
Change some cash at the resort your in another country and when you get change you won't be trying to figure out what the exchange rate was the driver gave you.

Blondie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Raintree Blue, Raintree Resorts; Sudwala Lodge, SA; Hollywood Sands, Hollywood , Fla
Cabbies in PV widely accept and like American dollars. Do determine the cab fare before you get in. It will likely be around $6 each way. It is about 10-15 from cruise ships to malecon. Tell the cabbie to drop you at the beginning of the Malecon. Also, about halfway down and on your left is a bar called the Cheeky Monkey - it is three flights up (not two- that is the restaurant and you want the bar) and above a jewelry store. They have great buck margaritas and buck beers and you are above the malecon watching all the action! We went there often- great salsa sampler too.

Last edited:

Zib

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking you'll just get off the ship for one day, right? Then don't waste time trying to figure out the bus system. Cabs will be lined up waiting for you when you leave the ship. If all get taken before you get out, they will be right back, so just wait. Agree about the fare before you get in. Should be about $6.00 each way and they will take U.S. money everywhere (but no one will take COINS!!) Cab drivers there are notioious for telling you that they don't have any change (they really do). They are hoping you will just give in and over-pay, so take a lot of small bills with you when you get off the ship. Sometimes you can bargain with a cab driver to give you a personal tour for a few hours and then let you out on the Malecon for the rest of the time. Some drivers like to do this but be SURE to agree on the PRICE with him before you go. When ready to go back, just flag a cab down on the street. There are lots of them.
If you like Mexican food, go to PIPI'S. It's on a side street in town up a few blocks from the Malecon. Just ask anyone. Good food, HUGE portions and lots of fun! For a really nice dinner, our favorite restaurant is Le Bistro, on the river island in the center of town. Have fun in our favorite Mexican town!

Last edited:

Barbeque

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Another really good place that is very reasonable to eat is Cafe de Olla. I also like Robertos Puerto Nuevo. (I dont know if Robertos is open for lunch??) They are both on Basidillo Badillo (Restaurant Row)

pammex

TUG Review Crew: ELITE
TUG Member
Reaction score
Coming off a cruise ship I do not think I would bother with buses, might be confusing...cabs are plentiful and many speak English but not all.....the other posters pretty much gave you all the info you need.....have fun!!!

mtwingcpa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
I'm thinking you'll just get off the ship for one day, right? Then don't waste time trying to figure out the bus system. Cabs will be lined up waiting for you when you leave the ship. If all get taken before you get out, they will be right back, so just wait.

Yep, this is just a single daytime visit by cruise ship. Riding the bus would be fun, but I agree that if cabs are readily available (and fairly cheap) they would be the easier way to go.

Thanks to everyone for the advice! :)

Zib

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can just walk to the main street, less than a block away, and probably catch a bus right there. They come along every few minutes. Take the blue bus that says "Centro" Just say to the driver "Malecon?" when you get on to be sure you don't get on the wrong one. The busses are fun, safe and easy so you might like to try it. Coming back tell the driver you want to stop at the cruise ship dock because there is another Marina farther down. Have some pesos or u.s. dollar bills. They won't take us change. It should be about 50 cents, I think, and he will give you pesos back for your u.s dollar

EJC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, Vacation Internationale, Villa del Palmar, Dikhololo
OK. I suspect you don't want to deal with the bus. Can't say I blame you. However, if you DO take the bus, get off immediately after the bus takes its first left. That first left will happen right after a park of sorts. From there, walk toward the ocean about half a block. That will take you to the main drag. From there, head south for a block and you'll hit the Malecon. If I wasn't familiar with Puerto Vallarta, and if I was only going to be there one day, I think I'd just take taxis. What's six or eight bucks each way in the scheme of things?