• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Buying Resale - week already converted to points

SoNew2TS

Reaction score
Hello All,
My wife and I attended a TS presentation and were offered a week 52 at Massanutten that will automatically have RCI points deposited each use year (odd years) but we can opt to use our week instead. I asked why we should buy through them and not resale. They said that if we buy a resale that has points we would be entitled to the remaining points that were deposited but would have to pay the developer to convert any future weeks into points...at a fee near $10,000. My question is: when buying a week that has already been converted, does the new owner have to re-convert the week to points?

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
My question would be

Why would I pay you for a points contract that I cannot sell with points?

Someone with more experience in that resort can answer your question specifically. I thought I have heard conflicting posts about this also. I would be interested in the definitive answer to that question also.

I would also question that 10k figure. I have never heard one that high. Even the normal 3000 or so is a complete ripoff as they are reselling you what you already own.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Hello All,
My wife and I attended a TS presentation and were offered a week 52 at Massanutten that will automatically have RCI points deposited each use year (odd years) but we can opt to use our week instead. I asked why we should buy through them and not resale. They said that if we buy a resale that has points we would be entitled to the remaining points that were deposited but would have to pay the developer to convert any future weeks into points...at a fee near $10,000. My question is: when buying a week that has already been converted, does the new owner have to re-convert the week to points?

Don't think that's how the transfer would work. I've heard of points weeks at Massanutten being transferred. IIRC, @Synergy just bought a Massanutten points week in Regal Vistas. Also, the $10K is too high.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Massanutten always says points won't transfer but they seem to. I think everyone in Sales and owner services at Massanutten really believes that they won't. I think that if they can find a way to prevent them from transferring they will.

What section were they selling you- Woodstone or Regal Vista and what was the price for the EOY purchase?

SoNew2TS

Reaction score
Massanutten always says points won't transfer but they seem to. I think everyone in Sales and owner services at Massanutten really believes that they won't. I think that if they can find a way to prevent them from transferring they will.

What section were they selling you- Woodstone or Regal Vista and what was the price for the EOY purchase?
It was Woodstone - Casa, 2 bedrooms...$11,000 with 76,500ish points

Synergy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview, Massanutten
@Eric B is right, legit Massanutten estoppels indicate that the points conversion transfers at resale. I believe the 'deconversion' warning is a sales scare tactic. I would seriously bet a good bottle of whiskey that someone else has heard the SAME sales agent assuring a conversion 'fish' that the points will transfer to the next buyer upon resale - perhaps 'only' if they convert at the full initial conversion cost, without negotiating ::eyeroll:: I don't buy that they don't know any better.

There is the (legitimate) argument that converted high season weeks aren't exactly common on the resale market. If that is something that moves you to make a purchase right now, I will happily offer you my (better resort, better rental potential, better mf to points ratio) ownership for half what they're asking. Then, with your $5000, I'll drink away >$4000 and wait patiently for an identical converted week to show up on the market for <$1000.

SoNew2TS

Reaction score
@Eric B is right, legit Massanutten estoppels indicate that the points conversion transfers at resale. I believe the 'deconversion' warning is a sales scare tactic. I would seriously bet a good bottle of whiskey that someone else has heard the SAME sales agent assuring a conversion 'fish' that the points will transfer to the next buyer upon resale - perhaps 'only' if they convert at the full initial conversion cost, without negotiating ::eyeroll:: I don't buy that they don't know any better.

There is the (legitimate) argument that converted high season weeks aren't exactly common on the resale market. If that is something that moves you to make a purchase right now, I will happily offer you my (better resort, better rental potential, better mf to points ratio) ownership for half what they're asking. Then, with your $5000, I'll drink away >$4000 and wait patiently for an identical converted week to show up on the market for <$1000.
Thank you for the info. We really loved the resort and the MFs seem to be less expensive than other timeshares that people I know own...but we haven't done much research yet. Still new to this, hopefully timeshares will work for us.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Try renting first there are lot of Massanutten owners on TUG . I also see lot of availability to exchange thru RCI.
Don’t buy from the developer, try out the place and buy resale if you decide you want to own.
Good Luck!
Silentg