• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Buying resale and adding to portfolio

rockedge

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had a legacy property and added points option then bought another week at same resort after the transition where they no longer recognize the ability to convert to points? If so, does Marriott recognize this as a multiple weeks owner or as separate weeks where they have to be booked separately? I'm thinking of buying a second week on the secondary market for the same resort and want to see what the experience has been with Marriott.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Has anyone had a legacy property and added points option then bought another week at same resort after the transition where they no longer recognize the ability to convert to points? If so, does Marriott recognize this as a multiple weeks owner or as separate weeks where they have to be booked separately? I'm thinking of buying a second week on the secondary market for the same resort and want to see what the experience has been with Marriott.
Not exactly sure what you're asking. If you own multiple weeks, Marriott allows you to make consecutive or concurrent reservations with those at 13 months, regardless of when you bought them or from whom.

My confusion is your reference to DC points, which doesn't seem pertinent to this issue.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I haven't bought a resale week in addition to our legacy weeks, but buying a resale week will not have any impact on your ability to convert your already enrolled week to DC points. Also, by buying the second week it will give you the opportunity to book your weeks 13 months out as long as you are making consecutive or concurrent reservations with your weeks.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I haven't bought a resale week in addition to our legacy weeks, but buying a resale week will not have any impact on your ability to convert your already enrolled week to DC points. Also, by buying the second week it will give you the opportunity to book your weeks 13 months out as long as you are making consecutive or concurrent reservations with your weeks.
And this is just what we and I am sure many other owners do very successfully.
I only wish we could also enrol our Resale weeks for a "reasonable" rather than an "extortionate" fee.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
And this is just what we and I am sure many other owners do very successfully.
I only wish we could also enrol our Resale weeks for a "reasonable" rather than an "extortionate" fee.

I can understand why MVCI doesn't want to allow post 6/20/2010 resale weeks to be enrolled. If they did allow one to do so for a "reasonable" fee, it would decimate their trust point sales. Why buy trust points for $12 a point or even resale at $7 a point, when you can buy a resale week for what equates to $1 per point?

I wonder if they allowed resale weeks to be enrolled, if it would actually prop up resale prices to make them worth the equivalent of about $5 per point?

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can understand why MVCI doesn't want to allow post 6/20/2010 resale weeks to be enrolled. If they did allow one to do so for a "reasonable" fee, it would decimate their trust point sales. Why buy trust points for $12 a point or even resale at $7 a point, when you can buy a resale week for what equates to $1 per point?

I wonder if they allowed resale weeks to be enrolled, if it would actually prop up resale prices to make them worth the equivalent of about $5 per point?
One of our Resale weeks is pre 6/20/2010.
It is in Phuket Beach Club though, so I am awaiting with quite some anticipation the DC/AP integration to understand the options for weeks owners.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
One of our Resale weeks is pre 6/20/2010.
It is in Phuket Beach Club though, so I am awaiting with quite some anticipation the DC/AP integration to understand the options for weeks owners.

Gotcha, since we don't know any details on AP yet, it is going to be a wait and see. Not sure how they will price out enrollment for them. If one is already enrolled, they should be allowed to add AP weeks and points at no additional cost. If one isn't enrolled, I would expect the regular enrollment fee to apply.

rockedge

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resale week,

You answered my question, I want to buy a second week at same resort on secondary market. It sounds like they will put those together with my present week for multi week reservation which I was hoping to do since I don't want to buy points. But out of curiosity, do they link resale points to points people already own?

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Points are points

sent from my cell phone...

davidn247

TUG Member
Reaction score

If I am not mistaken, European Marriott joined DC after that date (6/20/2010) and these resort weeks were able to join DC very recently.

Apart from that, I am not aware of other resale weeks joining post 6/20/2010. Maybe Asian resorts will follow

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
If I am not mistaken, European Marriott joined DC after that date (6/20/2010) and these resort weeks were able to join DC very recently.

Apart from that, I am not aware of other resale weeks joining post 6/20/2010. Maybe Asian resorts will follow

I beleive Marriott beought European weeks in to the DC fold in June of 2012. Those that bought developer or bought resale weeks prior to June 2012 were allowed to enroll those week at the then current, and still current, enrollment price.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
I beleive Marriott beought European weeks in to the DC fold in June of 2012. Those that bought developer or bought resale weeks prior to June 2012 were allowed to enroll those week at the then current, and still current, enrollment price.
Yes correct.
So European resort owners missed out on the initial much lower enrolment cost, as eligibility came 2 years later.
For us, having already previously enrolled our US/Caribbean weeks at the initial cost, we could subsequently enrol our European weeks with no further charge.