• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Buying groceries on Oahu

nygiants11991

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can someone give me some advise on buying groceries on Oahu. We will be staying at the Imperial of Waikiki. Our plan was not to rent a car, because they charge $25 valet. We were going to use a shuttle service to get to and from the airport. Then I started thinking about groceries, so maybe it would be a good idea to rent a car to get from the airport since there is going to be 6 of us, it would almost pay for itself. Which then made me think Where is the grocery store?

So any advise on where you buy your groceries would be appreciated.

nonutrix

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can someone give me some advise on buying groceries on Oahu. We will be staying at the Imperial of Waikiki. Our plan was not to rent a car, because they charge $25 valet. We were going to use a shuttle service to get to and from the airport. Then I started thinking about groceries, so maybe it would be a good idea to rent a car to get from the airport since there is going to be 6 of us, it would almost pay for itself. Which then made me think Where is the grocery store?

So any advise on where you buy your groceries would be appreciated.

There are a Sam's and a Walmart located in the same building, on different floors, two blocks from Ala Moana Mall. This is the closest, least expensive place to buy food near Waikiki.

nonutrix

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
Food Pantry
2370 Kuhio

In the heart of Waikiki.

When we've bought groceries, that is where we've gone too. It is literally two blocks from the resort we own so it is convenient even through we always do rent a car. It's easier to leave the car parked in the garage and go pick up some things.

Also in that area, there are some great breakfast spots. We found that it was almost the same price to dine out as to buy and cook . . . without the vacation hassles of cooking and doing dishes.

Dinner is another story, however. You can keep your dining costs down using discounts . . . but it's been a few years for us in Waikiki so I'm not sure what's available in the Entertainment Book or through Restaurants.com. I'll be doing that research in early 09.

nygiants11991

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yvonne

I will try to keep track of any super good deals eating out when we are there. We will be there the middle of Jan

cgeidl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Costco

Not far away and very inexpensive. We also are retired military and sometimes go to the commissary.The radio station every Friday at 9;00 Hawaii tyime has 50% restaurant coupons. Also entertainment card.
On Sunday and Monday there are 50% off early dinners at several Waikiki rest.

pacheco18

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not far away and very inexpensive. We also are retired military and sometimes go to the commissary.The radio station every Friday at 9;00 Hawaii tyime has 50% restaurant coupons. Also entertainment card.
On Sunday and Monday there are 50% off early dinners at several Waikiki rest.

If you qualify DO NOT MISS the commissary and especially the Navy Exchange - we buy a lot Tommy Bahama clothing there at a discount with no tax. It is perhaps the best Exchanges we have even been to with a lot of high end apparel.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don Quijote (formerly Daiei) has the absolute best prices. It is a Japan based supermarket so not a lot of American tourist know about it. It is about a block away from Walmart. You can walk there (1 mile if you're a walker) and take a cab back. There are always cabs waiting outside. About $8 to Hilton Hawaiian Village.

Costco is always my first and favorite choice but I still can't bring myself to buy 16 sticks of butter.

I

islandgroceryservice

deleted post

Advertising is not permitted on these forums.

Last edited by a moderator: