• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Buying DVC vs. Renting Points

chaomandy

Reaction score
We have some Wyndham points for every other year, and I am thinking about buying DVC. While doing my research, I found there are a lot of people on Youtube suggesting renting and claim to renting is better than owning DVC. What do you guys think?

PearlCity

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have some Wyndham points for every other year, and I am thinking about buying DVC. While doing my research, I found there are a lot of people on Youtube suggesting renting and claim to renting is better than owning DVC. What do you guys think?
So it depends on what you want. We bought resale years ago when prices were down (think the last recession) because i didnt like relying on a stranger for my reservation and we were going every year. We also live in Hawaii and aulani is nearby and a great staycation location so i could see us using our contract well into retirement. If you are a disney regular and plan to go every year or every other year look at your resale options. If you only plan to go once every 3 or 4 years, youll have to figure out if it really makes financial sense for you.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

jedimasterjem

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC SSR, AKL; Grandview Las Vegas; SVV - Bella; MGC
Just like @PearlCity suggested if you go every year or every other year it will make sense. We own 2 contracts 1 resale and 1 direct small enough to get the blue card. Pre Covid we were going 2-3 times a year to WDW and Aulani every other year. We live in CA so we don't utilize using it at VGC, unless we get lucky at 7 months out.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
When people ask me if they should buy DVC I ask three questions in return, "Do you plan on visiting WDW at least once every two years for at least the next 10 years?", "Can you plan at least 7 and ideally 11 months in advance", and "Do you really want to pay a premium to stay 'on property'?" Only if the answer to all of these questions is 'Yes' should you buy.

More recently I have added a new codicil. Don't buy at Riviera or at resorts with a Jan 2042 expiration unless you know exactly what you are doing.

Unlike MVC (sorry I am unfamiliar with Wyndham), there is a significant difference between dues (aka MFs) and rental prices. My BLT points which cost me $6.58/pt can be rented out very easily for $15/pt and more like $18/pt if I am willing to put a bit of effort into finding a 'buyer'.

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
This year is an anomaly, but most years, if I’m not going myself, I have no problem renting my Disney’s Beach Club Villas Resort points @ $17-$18 per point. One rental will pay all my maintenance fees and then everything else is gravy.

I have guests who had, with HAD being the operative word, rented from me yearly for years and years. I always wondered why they didn’t buy their own contract but I guess they had their own reasons.

This year I was able to rent out all my leftover points (banked from 2019) but I banked all my 2020 points into 2021.
What a horrible year for timeshares. But with my Disney Vacation Club points I wasn’t hurt —which was not the case with my rented out, and then canceled, Marriott points.

Last edited:

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
Keep in mind the changes in housekeeping for Wyndham and how it went into your favor as a Wyndham owner staying in Orlando:

1. Depositing into RCI no longer uses up housekeeping, so exchanging into SSR and OKW is an ever better deal.
2. Since all room sizes now use the same number of housekeeping tokens, staying at Reunion for part of your trip is an even better deal if you want to make use of their water park and 8 community pools.

On that note, adding a smaller sized DVC contract for the resort you need the 11 month ARP for doesn't sound like a bad idea, but using DVC points for every Orlando stay is just a waste of money IMO. I alternate my stays with RCI, Bonnet Creek and Reunion. DVC is low on my priority for that reason. It's the worst value. Wyndham is the best value, then Marriott, then DVC. I will probably eventually add on DVC, but only because I want it for 1-2 night stays since I live an hour away and Wyndham doesn't work for short stays. The 1 and 2 bedroom Presidential Reserve units at Bonnet Creek are nicer than most DVC rooms and 1/2 of the price or less. You pay for brand and theming with DVC. If that's worth the price for you, then go for it. Also, if you don't mind split stays, you can book DVC for the days you want to relax at the resort and book Bonnet Creek for the days you want to visit the parks. I just don't see why people waste money on DVC when they plan on spending most their time in the parks.

chaomandy

Reaction score
THANK YOU SO MUCH!! I spent quite a bit of time looking for information trying to help me decide. It only take me minutes to read through all your messages and I pretty much know what I want to do. :)
I just have one more question: can you book Disney hotels/resort in foreign countries like Japan? I honestly don't think that I will be going to Disney every year, probably not even every other year. But if I can book Disney hotels or resorts in Japan or Paris then that is definitely useful.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
THANK YOU SO MUCH!! I spent quite a bit of time looking for information trying to help me decide. It only take me minutes to read through all your messages and I pretty much know what I want to do. :)
I just have one more question: can you book Disney hotels/resort in foreign countries like Japan? I honestly don't think that I will be going to Disney every year, probably not even every other year. But if I can book Disney hotels or resorts in Japan or Paris then that is definitely useful.
No DVC resorts in Paris or japan. Also, if you can’t plan atleast 12-7 mo in advance some say it’s not worth owning. Another option you can do is buy a small contract and bank the points to use the years you do go. Another idea would be buy a high value RCI point contract and trade into old key west or Saratoga springs when they pop up in RCI

chaomandy

Reaction score
No DVC resorts in Paris or japan. Also, if you can’t plan atleast 12-7 mo in advance some say it’s not worth owning. Another option you can do is buy a small contract and bank the points to use the years you do go. Another idea would be buy a high value RCI point contract and trade into old key west or Saratoga springs when they pop up in RCI
There we go.....DVC is not for me then.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
In case you revisit as many do, DVC is a great option ONLY for DVC resorts if and only if you value staying on property if one can plan 7-11 months out consistently. DVC is a horrible choice to buy for RCI exchanges or cash type exchanges like DCL, ABD, etc. IF you can make do with a 1 BR, are OK with SSR and a full week or close works for you AND you are flexible enough to go when an exchange comes up, that is often the best of both worlds. I would agree that owning DVC points just for DVC stays is a great option for many. Owning is cheaper than renting long term if you buy resale and make good choices and it gives you control.

chaomandy

Reaction score
In case you revisit as many do, DVC is a great option ONLY for DVC resorts if and only if you value staying on property if one can plan 7-11 months out consistently. DVC is a horrible choice to buy for RCI exchanges or cash type exchanges like DCL, ABD, etc. IF you can make do with a 1 BR, are OK with SSR and a full week or close works for you AND you are flexible enough to go when an exchange comes up, that is often the best of both worlds. I would agree that owning DVC points just for DVC stays is a great option for many. Owning is cheaper than renting long term if you buy resale and make good choices and it gives you control.
It is really a shame that DVC does not include Japan and other foreign countries because it will get them a lot more customers.
For me, I do like Disney but not enough to travel every year. The most recent visit to WDW was last year, and the trip before that was 2008.
Is there a timeshare group that is great for foreign countries travelers?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It is really a shame that DVC does not include Japan and other foreign countries because it will get them a lot more customers.
For me, I do like Disney but not enough to travel every year. The most recent visit to WDW was last year, and the trip before that was 2008.
Is there a timeshare group that is great for foreign countries travelers?
I know in some situations they've looked at it and abandoned the idea. I suspect the regulations and limited returns would make it not worth doing. They looked at France and sold off the resort. They announced Newport Coast and then sold the land also to Marriott. They had contracts for options in NYC, HI & CO early on and abandoned those as well. They did target Japan somewhat for Aulani though IMO they did so less than some think they did. As for travel abroad of the US, it depends on where you want to go. Marriott has some resorts in Spain, 1 in France, and several in the Far East & Australia. Wyndham/Worldmark has a fairly broad array of resorts across the globe but not Europe or Africa. Diamond probably has the best international coverage, esp for Europe. Hilton has a few in Scotland, 1 in Italy and a couple of others. There are a some that are more in certain places that I am less familiar with.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It is really a shame that DVC does not include Japan...Is there a timeshare group that is great for foreign countries travelers?
As Dean said, there is no real globetrotting timeshare company. I would note that HGVC has a bunch of affiliate resorts in Japan (that are more or less impossible to book) as well as one bHC resort, The Bay Forest Odawara, which is difficult but not impossible. If you are interested in every other year or so travel to Japan you could look into buying at one of the Japan affiliate resorts at which you could trade in your week for HGVC points. But I have no idea what the resale market is like for those Hotel Harvest resorts.