• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Buckle Up. Here comes the Big One.

sun&fun

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Been monitoring the weather for two days now in between trips to the grocery!
This blizzard will likely be record-breaking for East coast. I just can't predict how many days to expect to be without passable streets or power :(

falmouth3

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hang tough. Boston's mayor has offered their street cleaning capabilities. We have a bit of experience with snow. :p

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
Stock up with plenty of water and canned goods that don't need to be cooked and good luck.

Ironwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unless you have winter tires, just stay off the road. These storms are a regular occurance north of the 49th, and while I have been through them countless times, they are always a challenge! Hang in there east coast!

sun&fun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Stock up with plenty of water and canned goods that don't need to be cooked and good luck.

I was hoping to make chocolate and coffee my survival kit. :) DH thinks scotch and beer are priorities.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
From the fun and sunny West coast of Mexico, what you folks are facing doesn't look or sound a bit pleasant. I hope your supplies are all laid in, the power stays on and the storm blows over quickly, with little inconvenience. The best way to assure this is to be prepared.

Jim

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
Unless you have winter tires, just stay off the road. These storms are a regular occurance north of the 49th, and while I have been through them countless times, they are always a challenge! Hang in there east coast!

I would add that in addition to winter tires, experience in driving in snow is a must. It doesn't matter what kind of SUV & winter tires you have if you don't know how to drive in snow -stay off the roads until it is gone!

A few years ago we had a family move into our subdivision from Victoria BC (born & raised). Mr. had no experience driving in snow so he immediately went out and bought a big SUV with snow tires at the first snow fall. Our subdivision is at the top of a ski hill and you cant go anywhere without going down hill. On his way to work Mr. did a 4 wheel drive skid right off the road and down the side of the hill the 2nd week he had the vehicle. He was so far off the road the tow truck had a tough time winching him out. He just kept saying "but its an SUV & I put snow tires on it"! :doh: Just slow down! Just because the speed limit is 50 doesn't mean you can do 50 in the snow!

~Diane

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I was hoping to make chocolate and coffee my survival kit. :) DH thinks scotch and beer are priorities.

Scotch and Beer will be great unless the heat goes off then you won't want alcohol. Oh, you'll want it but your priority will be to keep warm. Make sure your BBQ grill is gassed up so you can do some cooking if all else fails.

We get snowed in once in a great while but not like what your area is expecting. In the winter we keep plenty of water on hand and things like chocolate to give us a burst of heat if we need it.

I'm lucky in that I have a wood burner that I can use without electricity and a gas log fire place for heat.

I can see electric and phone going out but water and gas should be good.

We have plenty of flash lights and battery operated lanterns and food and wood to last a long time.

I worry about a medical emergency where the responders won't be able to get to me.
I pray that this won't be happening to those in the areas where this is supposed to hit.

Stay dry, stay warm and know that it will end eventually.

sun&fun

TUG Member
Reaction score
From the fun and sunny West coast of Mexico, what you folks are facing doesn't look or sound a bit pleasant. I hope your supplies are all laid in, the power stays on and the storm blows over quickly, with little inconvenience. The best way to assure this is to be prepared.

Jim

Sunny coast! What a lovely concept. We were planning to leave Saturday for 2 weeks in St. Kitts, but by Tuesday, I knew this wasn't happening. Even if we could get a flight out before Sat., the pet sitter called to cancel (understandably) and no one (understandably) wanted to house sit with the furbabies.

As type, I hear the ominous sound of my neighbor's generator-- firing up to ensure it's working. Locally, gas stations reportedly have run out of gas; grocery shelves empty of bread and milk. This is going to be pretty rough.

Ironwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would add that in addition to winter tires, experience in driving in snow is a must. It doesn't matter what kind of SUV & winter tires you have if you don't know how to drive in snow -stay off the roads until it is gone!

A few years ago we had a family move into our subdivision from Victoria BC (born & raised). Mr. had no experience driving in snow so he immediately went out and bought a big SUV with snow tires at the first snow fall. Our subdivision is at the top of a ski hill and you cant go anywhere without going down hill. On his way to work Mr. did a 4 wheel drive skid right off the road and down the side of the hill the 2nd week he had the vehicle. He was so far off the road the tow truck had a tough time winching him out. He just kept saying "but its an SUV & I put snow tires on it"! :doh: Just slow down! Just because the speed limit is 50 doesn't mean you can do 50 in the snow!

~Diane

Diane.... you are absolutely right! Having experience driving in snow is equally important to having winter tires and 4 wheel drive. You certainly need winter driving experience getting safely up and down the big hill at Horseshoe during a storm, as you would well know. And speaking of a winter wonderland day, we are planning to get out for a trek on snowshoes up your way this afternoon for our first outing of the season

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
As I type, I hear the ominous sound of my neighbor's generator-- firing up to ensure it's working. Locally, gas stations reportedly have run out of gas; grocery shelves empty of bread and milk. This is going to be pretty rough.

Our thoughts (and the only English news channel) are with you. We are struggling along with gigantic Mexican style shrimp cocktails and cerveza on the beach. A glorious sunset followed by dinner of scratch made mom & pop Mexican including alcohol for two, totaling about $7. Hoping this woolybugger of a storm blows out to sea leaving just a memory.

Take care, all.

Jim

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So far it is beautiful and quiet where I live. Getting deep, but it is powdery and there is no wind. Since it is a weekend, it helps. Not as many people have to get out. The neighbors are in round 1 of shoveling or snowblowing. We hired a plow service this year, and I told them not to come until this is over. We are hunkered down with chili, coffee and all the essentials. As long as there is power, we are good.

sun&fun

TUG Member
Reaction score
The good news is that while the big snow delivered 18 inches in my yard, the winds stayed reasonable so there is drifting but not the severe gusts that bring limbs down on the lines. Still snowing and lots of snow removal needed but it can be done in stages while the pot of chili stays warm.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So far it is beautiful and quiet where I live. Getting deep, but it is powdery and there is no wind. Since it is a weekend, it helps. Not as many people have to get out. The neighbors are in round 1 of shoveling or snowblowing. We hired a plow service this year, and I told them not to come until this is over. We are hunkered down with chili, coffee and all the essentials. As long as there is power, we are good.

Snow is much harder to plow the deeper it gets. If it gets too deep it's impossible to move with ordinary plow equipment. We like to get out before it gets over 4". Our contracts dictate that we plow once it hits 2". I would not hold them off too long.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
even snowing here this morning in florida...hope everyone keeps warm!

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
It started snowing an hour or so ago up here south of Boston. We're not in for the 15+ that the mid-atlantic is getting so that's good, but the wind is fierce and it's cold.

Hope all TUGgers are safe out there! Passepartout, be careful and take small bites of those giant shrimp. :)

irish

TUG Member
Reaction score
15and 1/2 hours later and it is still going strong here on long island

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Snow is much harder to plow the deeper it gets. If it gets too deep it's impossible to move with ordinary plow equipment. We like to get out before it gets over 4". Our contracts dictate that we plow once it hits 2". I would not hold them off too long.

The street crews have not even been out. As an individual household, I am at the end of the list for the company anyway. Because we are a wider driveway, he planned to use a truck instead of a snowblower. We should be good. The crew will be dealing with this with all of their customers.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Charleston

We had flurries here in Charleston, SC, this morning but nothing stuck. It's been a dreary afternoon and looks like a snow day! My mother would love to see snow! Having lived in FL all her life before moving in with us, she's only seen snow four times in her 94 years.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just spoke with my brother in Upper Marlboro, MD he had 18 inches in his backyard this morning and the snow is still coming down.

It is so nice to live in Coastal Virginia.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hope all TUGgers are safe out there! Passepartout, be careful and take small bites of those giant shrimp. :)

Yes, you all be careful. We don't want to be hearing of accidents, or heart attacks brought on by snow shoveling.

Thanks for the warning, Susan. Forewarned is forearmed. And I will wash them down with plenty of margaritas.

onenotesamba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Sea World, HGVC Boulevard/Strip
We're safe, warm and dry in Brooklyn. There's at least 20" of snow outside, now, and it's not supposed to taper off until later today. We've tried to shovel a path for the dogs to go out, but they don't want to go out in the weather, even for a minute.

Miss Marty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ocean City Maryland - Damage Report - Vacation Resort

News From Ocean City Government:

The support structure for the pier at the southernmost gateway to the beach and amusement parks took a dive into the ocean Saturday morning (Jan 23) in 35-mph winds that whipped along the boardwalk in the region's popular resort. The incident, along with moderate-to-minor flooding were the bulk of weather-related issues facing Ocean City overnight Friday and early Saturday.

The landmark giant ferris wheel nearby was not damaged.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think, I spoke too soon, it is now snowing in the Coastal Virginia areas.