• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Bought the Vistana Flex, but I feel disgust from the salespersons.

itkwon

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am visited the Sheraton Vistana Village once again with 'Encore' program, and I purchased the Vistana Flex share because I liked the resort. In addition, I am not able to easily find the 'Mandatory' resale inventories with lower yearly maintenance fee, and that is the main reason to sign the deal. I purchased the one with around 20000 StarOptions yearly.
However, I felt so huge disgust from the salespersons, and this is the reason I may walk out from the deal at that time. In other words, I would not sign the deal because of their subtle disgusting attitude.

The saleswomen was initially so looking like indifferent, and I think it is because she thinks I am just asking questions without showing some interests in purchasing. Seems like she was using some sort of tactic based on her attractive looks and outfit, but it does not work because of her indifferent attitude. (Unfortunately, I did not feel any charm neither.) Then, after I decided to sign the deal, she showed some big grin on her face. She stated that she is paid salary, but she was not going to get some incentive from my purchase, but I don't think it is true.
Her supervisor is just defending my questions with some strong attitude, and he is just talking his own positions.

When I asked the saleswomen about how long it takes to sign the documents, she told me it is 20 minutes, but it did actually took around 1.5 hours or more.
When I asked her supervisor about recent complaints about reservation glitches, he dodged the question, but he just told me 'to plan and book in advance.'

I hear some chitchats about the customers, including calling someone as 'snob', and I heard some harsh words toward someone (probably some salespersons) before signing the deal. The words changed (toward some customer) somewhat positive after signing the deal.

In addition, she and her supervisor gave some information verbally, so I just wanted to ask your opinion about whether I can believe those or not. If those verbal answers are not founded well, I may choose to cancel.

Below are my questions.
1. I am still having several days to cancel, and I know that there is 10 day period of cancellation. Do you think it is better to cancel/rescind by sending some notice with express mail to Vistana?
2. The saleswomen stated that I can 'retro' resale timeshares, which would be purchased after purchasing this Flex share. Is that true?
The sequence of this 'retro' practice is reverse on her statement, so I am just asking.
3. Per her supervisor, he stated that there would no fee on booking rooms and banking points since 2023 except booking through II (Interval International). Is that true?
4. The saleswomen stated that I can elect to convert StarOptions to Marriott Vacation Club Points. Do you think this is true? Is there anyone tried that?
(Though the conversion rate is so small, and it seems like Marriott Vacation Club timeshares are expensive.)
5. The saleswomen stated that I can rent StarOptions or Marriott Vacation Club points from other owners. Is that true?
6. The saleswomen stated that I cannot rent (purchase) additional StarOptions nor Marriott Vacation Club points by the developer anymore. Is that true?
(It is about one-time rent with discounted rate. I know that they will sell more timeshare / Flex shares because they do need money.)

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
1. Rescind by following the instructions that are in the document. Send certified mail via USPS.

2. You cannot retro after the fact, unless it is documented as such and with delayed closing in the Vistana developer purchase, so that your resale purchase is closed and transferred into your account prior to the closing of the developer purchase.

3. Based on recent owner updates as reported by other owners: It will be paying one club fee per year based on ownership level and qualifed weeks/points, and internal bookings, banking and II trade back to MVC/Vistana will be free except for room size upgrade fees. You will still need to pay for trades to non-MVC/Vistana resorts.

4. We cannot try until the program is in place. There is nothing in place yet.

5. In MVC DC system, we can rent points from other owners in private arrangements.

6. Once the program goes live, owners have been told that Vistana will no longer sell Vistana Flex points and deeded weeks. MVC will continue to sell DC points and likely, bundled hybrid offering of a mix of points and weeks.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
You definitely need to rescind. There are so many great timeshares, you need to take your time about buying something resale. Resale is the only way to buy a timeshare.

5finny

TUG Member
Reaction score
1. Rescind by following the instructions that are in the document. Send certified mail via USPS.

2. You cannot retro after the fact, unless it is documented as such and with delayed closing in the Vistana developer purchase, so that your resale purchase is closed and transferred into your account prior to the closing of the developer purchase.

3. Based on recent owner updates as reported by other owners: It will be paying one club fee per year based on ownership level and qualifed weeks/points, and internal bookings, banking and II trade back to MVC/Vistana will be free except for room size upgrade fees. You will still need to pay for trades to non-MVC/Vistana resorts.

5. In MVC DC system, we can rent points from other owners in private arrangements.

6. Once the program goes live, owners have been told that Vistana will no longer sell Vistana Flex points and deeded weeks. MVC will continue to sell DC points and likely, bundled hybrid offering of a mix of points and weeks.

Rescind exactly as stated above

itkwon

TUG Member
Reaction score

Thank you for your answer. It helps.
I will definitely use 'Certified Mail via USPS' if I choose to rescind. I used same when I rescind HGVC timeshare at Las Vegas. (The fee of HGVC system is predatory.)

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
The biggest problem is that 20,000 HomeOptions have very little utility. This is the smallest package that they sell that can be used to book a week in the smallest unit in the lowest season of only a small handful of resorts. Sure finding mandatory weeks isn't easy, but I suspect those 20,000 Flex cost a bundle. Finding the SVV resales is difficult, but Westin Kierland Villas come up a little more often and you are probably paying a big chunk of money that could instead go toward the $15K needed for WKV where you get 148,100 StartOptions.

itkwon

TUG Member
Reaction score
The biggest problem is that 20,000 HomeOptions have very little utility. This is the smallest package that they sell that can be used to book a week in the smallest unit in the lowest season of only a small handful of resorts. Sure finding mandatory weeks isn't easy, but I suspect those 20,000 Flex cost a bundle. Finding the SVV resales is difficult, but Westin Kierland Villas come up a little more often and you are probably paying a big chunk of money that could instead go toward the $15K needed for WKV where you get 148,100 StartOptions.
I agree with your opinion that 20000 StarOptions is smallest package with little utility. I saw that classified ad, but $1,800 maintenance fee is too huge for me though.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Westin has high maintenance fees - if $1,800 is too high, look at other resorts.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
How much is mfs on 20000 points?

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Whatever it is, the mf's plus the program fee for 1-3 nights is awfully high. What are your vacation expectations each year? If you vacation every 2 years doubling your fees plus paying the banking fees is even more.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
You said "if" you rescind. Definitely rescind. Buy resale or wait until you an afford what you are buying. Sounds like this is not a good time for you to buy anything, if you cannot afford maintenance fees each year.

itkwon

TUG Member
Reaction score
You said "if" you rescind. Definitely rescind. Buy resale or wait until you an afford what you are buying. Sounds like this is not a good time for you to buy anything, if you cannot afford maintenance fees each year.

Okay. Now I am thinking the logistics of sending rescind notice. I have already checked the terms with rescind instructions.
I can afford the maintenance of 20000 StarOptions, but I would like to buy more StarOptions with somewhat lower price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Okay. Now I am thinking the logistics of sending rescind notice. I have already checked the terms with rescind instructions.
I can afford the maintenance of 20000 StarOptions, but I would like to buy more StarOptions with somewhat lower price.

How can you afford the purchase price and not the MF's? I am the opposite. I cannot afford to buy developer but can afford to pay for my vacations annually by paying MF's.

Many of the timeshares that I used to find on ebay are no longer selling on ebay because the developers have chosen to take them back. It's a smart move for the developers because they know they can resell them as brand new. I was buying Sheraton weeks in Myrtle Beach for $1.00-$500, all closing costs included. There were sometimes ten a week on ebay. We own a lot, which our daughter rents to make some income.

You are making a big mistake by not rescinding. You had a bad feeling during the presentation. Now it's time for you to think about doing what's right for you. Rescind, Research, Resale. There are gems out there. If you cannot afford $1,200 in MF's, don't even take a free timeshare.

Ask questions. We are happy to help. But don't keep this contract. Rescind and breathe easier and really think about the commitment.

Ckhawaii

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ocean Tower HGVC
Westin Lagunamar plat 2bd 3x
Westin Aventuras
[Deleted: I believe that English is the OP's 2nd language, so let's cut them a break here.]

Last edited by a moderator:

itkwon

TUG Member
Reaction score
How can you afford the purchase price and not the MF's? I am the opposite. I cannot afford to buy developer but can afford to pay for my vacations annually by paying MF's.

Many of the timeshares that I used to find on ebay are no longer selling on ebay because the developers have chosen to take them back. It's a smart move for the developers because they know they can resell them as brand new. I was buying Sheraton weeks in Myrtle Beach for $1.00-$500, all closing costs included. There were sometimes ten a week on ebay. We own a lot, which our daughter rents to make some income.

You are making a big mistake by not rescinding. You had a bad feeling during the presentation. Now it's time for you to think about doing what's right for you. Rescind, Research, Resale. There are gems out there. If you cannot afford $1,200 in MF's, don't even take a free timeshare.

Ask questions. We are happy to help. But don't keep this contract. Rescind and breathe easier and really think about the commitment.
Oh, there was some small miscommunications. I can afford the timeshare I signed, but I don’t want to spend inflated price. Thank you for your advice anyway.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You need to stop asking us questions, if you don't care for the answers. I am done.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you look at eBay, which I did yesterday, there were 2 listings, one for $1 and the other with $299 starting bid for 95700 Sheraton Flex points, with no takers. MF is about $1800. If you want to take a week of vacation in prime location, it is going to cost about $1500 to $2,000 for a week of MF fee anyway.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
My suggestion is that you avoid making personal comments about people, and just discuss the deal you were offered. But it's OK to say the sales person was unpleasant, or overbearing, or something less personal.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
@itkwon
You are very lucky to be part of TUG, and I'm glad you posted your recent purchase.
I am happy that you have decided to rescind.
What part of the country do you live in?
I'm wondering whether an east coast or west coast home resort makes more sense for you?

itkwon

TUG Member
Reaction score
@itkwon
You are very lucky to be part of TUG, and I'm glad you posted your recent purchase.
I am happy that you have decided to rescind.
What part of the country do you live in?
I'm wondering whether an east coast or west coast home resort makes more sense for you?

I am currently living at Michigan, and I am mainly looking for timeshares useful for Las Vegas, Orlando, Myrtle Beach, and so on.
For me, I just wanted to visit and spend time at both coast with flexibility. This is the reason why I am looking for HGVC or Vistana Flex.