• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Bought in Hawaii but going to rescind

cnote72

Reaction score
New buyers in May of 2019 at Nashville. Just bought more in Hawaii while on vacation there, got us to 400,000 points so we would be Silver VIP. We are regretting it now since we don’t need to extras that come along with Hawaii ownership. Going to rescind the Hawaii contract but still want to get the additional 200,000 points to be at Silver VIP, or whatever the new term will be. Just was wondering where would be a good place to buy the additional points, or does it matter? Since we are new members our price per 1,000 is locked in for 12 months. Could possibly go to Branson, Vegas, or Austin within the next year, if one place is better to buy at than the other let me know.
Thanks in advance.

mjc775

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Waikiki Beach Walk + DRI/HVC
About 5 years ago we got introduced to timeshares in Honolulu. We had purchased a small every-other-year contract for around $17K. I spent a good part of the rest of our vacation reading the TUGBBS website, and ultimately rescinding before we left. A few weeks later I bought about double the amount of points on a yearly basis from an eBay seller for around $3K. I would suggest the same if you’re wanting more points. However I’m not familiar with if a resale purchase qualifies for VIP levels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
New buyers in May of 2019 at Nashville. Just bought more in Hawaii while on vacation there, got us to 400,000 points so we would be Silver VIP. We are regretting it now since we don’t need to extras that come along with Hawaii ownership. Going to rescind the Hawaii contract but still want to get the additional 200,000 points to be at Silver VIP, or whatever the new term will be. Just was wondering where would be a good place to buy the additional points, or does it matter? Since we are new members our price per 1,000 is locked in for 12 months. Could possibly go to Branson, Vegas, or Austin within the next year, if one place is better to buy at than the other let me know.
Thanks in advance.

We do recommend you buy resale. My go to source is TSN at https://www.timesharenation.com/resort/Wyndham-Points. TSN is out at the moment. You need to check at least daily, sometimes several times a day.

Although I’m not a VIP, I got 434k pts for $200. Grand Desert can be bought cheaply with low MF. I uploaded a good Wyndham MF chart. What was the price of your Hawaii Ts?

Attachments

• 9CAE6362-3D96-470A-8AD5-1F2253CF2EA3.jpeg
    9CAE6362-3D96-470A-8AD5-1F2253CF2EA3.jpeg
    51.7 KB · Views: 73

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks in advance.

Mf is a little in the atrocious side. But this is an example of a free Wyndham Ts. https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...-wyndham-governors-green-williamsburg.294400/

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We who?

He said that he wants to be VIP silver. That isn't happening with resale.

What and where did you buy? Low MF beats out a high MF CWA contract in the long run.
We = @mjc775 @dgalati and general TUG advice.

If you must know, I have
1) 158k Grand Desert for $0 including free transfer and closing costs.
2) 128k Star Island for $0 plus $200 closing costs. MF plus PF are $6.5/1k, but I want the 13 month ARP for FL winter. If I change my mind, I will give back via Ovations.
3) 84k Ocean Walk $0 including free transfer and closing costs. MF plus PF are $6.65/1k, but I want the 13 month ARP for FL winter. If I change my mind, I will give back via Ovations.
4) 64k CWA for $0 including free transfer and closing costs. MF and PF at $6.6/1k but I want the 13 month ARP for FL winter. If I change my mind, I will give back via Ovations.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks in advance.
If you are dead set on VIP, buy at Canterbury SF. Lowest MF. Even resale, a 200k Canterbury can resell for $2k.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
Only developer points count toward VIP, so if silver VIP is what you want, you will have to buy from Wyndham directly. It is my understanding that purchasing from Wyndham telesales is cheaper than purchasing from a salesman at a resort. I’ve never done that so someone else may be able to give more information about that.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks in advance.
Buying up to silver VIP may not be worth the additional cost for only a 25% discount in the 60 day window. Minimum of $28000 to purchase if buying at $140 per 1000. I personally would just buy resale and save at least $25000. If you really desire VIP benefits look into going VIP the PIC Plus or express route info in member directory pages 360-361.

Exclusive Vacation Planning Benefits
CLUB WYNDHAM Silver Owner
400,000 - 699,999 Points
CLUB WYNDHAM
Gold Owner
700,000 - 999,999 Points
CLUB WYNDHAM Platinum Owner
1,000,000 Points or More

Points Discounts within 60 Days of Check-in1 25% 35% 50%

cnote72

Reaction score
Sorry, I guess I forgot some important details. We bought 200,000 points in May at Nashville, since it has only been 4 months, less than a year, they said we could do a swap basically. We bought 400,000 points in Hawaii for the price we bought at in Nashville. It was right around $80,000 total for the 400,000 points to put us at Silver. We also got enrolled in TPI, Plus Partners, Premier Access, and Outrigger.

Thinking there are some advantages to being Silver, but maybe not. You get X amount of reservation transactions, X amount of guest confirmations, and unlimited housekeeping credits. Supposedly, when the new levels roll out they are adding more benefits, according to sales guy in Hawaii.

I’m sure we could have done better on pricing the first time around, but we didn’t.

Last edited:

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sorry, I guess I forgot some important details. We bought 200,000 points in May at Nashville, since it has only been 4 months, less than a year, they said we could do a swap basically. We bought 400,000 points in Hawaii for the price we bought at in Nashville. It was right around $80,000 total for the 400,000 points to put us at Silver. We also got enrolled in TPI, Plus Partners, Premier Access, and Outrigger.

Thinking there are some advantages to being Silver, but maybe not. You get X amount of reservation transactions, X amount of guest confirmations, and unlimited housekeeping credits. Supposedly, when the new levels roll out they are adding more benefits, according to sales guy in Hawaii.

I’m sure we could have done better on pricing the first time around, but we didn’t.

Which Wyndham is your Hawaii? Bali Hai? What is the MF? If it’s Bali Hai and you’re dead set on Silver, you may want to stay. Otherwise, could you swap with Canterbury?

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
I would honestly just buy another 105,000 points and get two 3 bedroom PICs before you purchase the other 105,000. It will give you permanent VIP Gold for less money. Gold is the best status for the money spent if you care to be VIP. This is mainly because you can chose your room, get an extra 10% off, be second in line for upgrades and have unlimited transaction tokens (great to cancel and re-book if there's still availability)

305 Retail points + 508 PIC points = 813,000 points. 800,000 points is the new point requirement for Gold, so there's no rush for you to find two 3 bedroom PICs to enroll. Make sure they qualify before purchasing them.

You can easily rent out what you don't use for profit with a Gold account. For example, Bonnet Creek is in the value season during Epcot's food and wine. If you check daily, people always cancel within the 2 month window and you can book a 2 bedroom at 35% off and sell it on Redweek or VRBO for $1200 when it costs only $478 using CWA points during the discount window.

I personally decided to always stay resale mainly because I like the WorldMark and Marriott locations just as much. With only Club Wyndham points, you can't exchange with II and you don't get ARP with Worldmark so all the good inventory like Yellowstone and Fiji is gone by the time Club Wyndham owners can book.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
If you are dead set on VIP, buy at Canterbury SF. Lowest MF. Even resale, a 200k Canterbury can resell for $2k.

There is currently no developer inventory available for Canterbury, or at least there wasn't as of last Sunday when I inquired via a sales manager at another Wyndham resort where we were vacationing. There is some inventory available at NH and possibly Midtown 45, but not Canterbury. Canterbury is hard to find even on the resale market compared to most of the other resort properties.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
I would honestly just buy another 105,000 points and get two 3 bedroom PICs before you purchase the other 105,000. It will give you permanent VIP Gold for less money. Gold is the best status for the money spent if you care to be VIP. This is mainly because you can chose your room, get an extra 10% off, be second in line for upgrades and have unlimited transaction tokens (great to cancel and re-book if there's still availability)

305 Retail points + 508 PIC points = 813,000 points. 800,000 points is the new point requirement for Gold, so there's no rush for you to find two 3 bedroom PICs to enroll. Make sure they qualify before purchasing them.

You can easily rent out what you don't use for profit with a Gold account. For example, Bonnet Creek is in the value season during Epcot's food and wine. If you check daily, people always cancel within the 2 month window and you can book a 2 bedroom at 35% off and sell it on Redweek or VRBO for $1200 when it costs only $478 using CWA points during the discount window.

I personally decided to always stay resale mainly because I like the WorldMark and Marriott locations just as much. With only Club Wyndham points, you can't exchange with II and you don't get ARP with Worldmark so all the good inventory like Yellowstone and Fiji is gone by the time Club Wyndham owners can book.

Agreed, if you want to get to VIP levels, PIC is the only way to fly. :) It's also the least costly method to do so, and if you choose the right PIC properties, you'll pay lower MFs when compared to just about any Wyndham MF rate in comparison. My two PICs cost:

$753 CY 2019 for 254k points - with fees (60 cents per 1000 and $89): $994.40 / 254 = $3.91/1000
$859 CY 2019 for 254k points - with fees (60 cents per 1000 and $89): $1100.40 / 254 = $4.33/1000

Only Canterbury, Bali Hai and Shearwater have lower or comparable rates net fees.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Garden at Waikiki
If Canterbury isn’t available, Bali Hai would be good and valuable. Still recommend you buy resale but if you are dead set in VIP, you might be able to buy Bali Hai on telesales.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks in advance.
You may also try renting from a VIP that will rent for less then you can pay maintenance fees on a ownership less then a platinum Vip. Always nice to rent a room within the 60 day discount window at a 50% discount. What is even better is recieving the room upgrade at no additional cost.

dgalati

TUG Member
Reaction score

The 40k additional may not be money well spent to only have Silver VIP. Pic your way to VIP for much less. Or use the 40k and rent from a VIP for less then paying maintenance fees on a Silver ownership. Add in the cost of not paying maintenance fees on the
200,000 additional points. This maybe a less costly option without the sunk cost or commitment to the monthly maintenance fees.

MaryBella7

TUG Member
Reaction score

I currently own about 700K that I paid a total of 2,500 for. I have never run out of housekeeping credits, and the few guest confirmations and reservation transactions I have paid for haven't even come close to the 10K mark, much less 80K. Resale is a good way to go, and you can get low MF properties for much less than developer prices. If you really need that VIP, try going the PIC route explained above, but I have never felt like I was missing out on anything. Been a Wyndham member for 10ish years.

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
You may also try renting from a VIP that will rent for less then you can pay maintenance fees on a ownership less then a platinum Vip. Always nice to rent a room within the 60 day discount window at a 50% discount. What is even better is recieving the room upgrade at no additional cost.
312D35A2-6791-4427-8498-4F4962B42A7A.png

Yep, renting is the way to go!! Someone was taken for $2,900 from a scam renter right here on TUG

I’d rather put the $2,900 towards owning

Maybe some of you pushing rent-rent-rent should think twice

cnote72

Reaction score
How can you tell if a resale qualifies as a PIC contract that would count towards VIP status?

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
View attachment 14281
Yep, renting is the way to go!! Someone was taken for $2,900 from a scam renter right here on TUG

I’d rather put the $2,900 towards owning

Maybe some of you pushing rent-rent-rent should think twice

There are plenty of ways to rent without getting scammed. Is there some level of risk- sure I suppose. But if you just do your due diligence, its very easy not to get scammed. In this case the person that was scammed said they emailed back and forth and then made a payment, personally I NEVER make a payment without having an actual phone call with the person I am renting from. Actually speaking to someone on the phone tells you a lot. I have done 10 or so timeshare rentals in the last 3 years, from TUG with 1 from Redweek as well, and I have never had any kind of issue whatsoever. You just have to be cautious and do your due diligence and you will be fine renting.

spackler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Quarter House, Jean Lafitte House, Bali Hai
If Canterbury isn’t available, Bali Hai would be good and valuable.

Yep; Bali Hai UDI & Canterbury have nearly identical MFs. 3 of the last 5 years Bali Hai was cheaper; but for 2019 Canterbury was a few cents cheaper.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
How can you tell if a resale qualifies as a PIC contract that would count towards VIP status?
I’m not a VIP. I’m sure if you stick around, some TUG member will show you how to do it. As I understand it, you can either: 1) buy telesales at $134/1k pts, 2) buy resales then PIC. Correct me if I am mistaken as I just have resale points.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
I’m not a VIP. I’m sure if you stick around, some TUG member will show you how to do it. As I understand it, you can either: 1) buy telesales at $134/1k pts, 2) buy resales then PIC. Correct me if I am mistaken as I just have resale points.

I'd work with a rep in telesales to qualify potential PIC properties. Beyond the core prerequisite criteria - that the timeshare is RCI integrated and that it's a weeks based timeshare (cannot be points based for PIC Plus).

Beyond the prerequisites, the answer to this question changes over time, so there's no one answer. For instance, both of the PIC resort properties I own at, Wyndham is no longer taking more inventory from those two resort locations. There are ratios that they track internally for PICs that dictate eligibility for any one timeshare resort location.