• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Booking Free Nights

Umpqua98

Reaction score
Hello, just joined this forum a few days ago. My wife and I are platinum members with HICV and get 5 free nights each year, but can't book the rooms more than 60 days out. We were recently told by a salesman at HICV that there is a way to get around this. He told us that if we book during the Open Access period and use Point Shield, we can call a counselor 60 days or less before our reservation, and have the counselor cancel the reservation and immediately re-book it using our free nights. This would cost us the $51 for Point Shield, but we would get the reservation fee and points refunded. I am a bit skeptical about this workaround or loophole to the 60 day rule for booking the free nights and am wondering if this is true.

Thanks!

Rdub79

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Holliday Inn Club Vacations
So I was also told this last year at an update also. And I tried it this year in March at Scottsdale. When I called in to cancel the reservation and then rebook with free nights the customer service rep told me that he couldn’t guarantee that the inventory would show back up in the system and allow him to rebook it. So it would be a huge risk. The only way this would really work is if the inventory is still available to book with points 60 days out.

Bmatrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV Elite
plus they wont refund your booking fee so it would actually cost you the additional $64

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
Bad advice from a sales rep

This has been circulating around the gossip circles, and I have no doughy it has worked on a few.
Not everyone gets the same treatment.

It’s just the way it works

Umpqua98

Reaction score
So I was also told this last year at an update also. And I tried it this year in March at Scottsdale. When I called in to cancel the reservation and then rebook with free nights the customer service rep told me that he couldn’t guarantee that the inventory would show back up in the system and allow him to rebook it. So it would be a huge risk. The only way this would really work is if the inventory is still available to book with points 60 days out.

Rdub79. I may call and try this in July for a 3 night reservation I have in early September, but doubt if anything will come of my call.

plus they wont refund your booking fee so it would actually cost you the additional $64
Bmatrose, they do need to refund the $64 reservation fee if you book with PointShield. The 1st few sentences on the $51 PointShield screen that pops up state this: "You may cancel your reservation within 24 hours of confirmation and receive 100% of your Points and a reservation fee refund. After the 24-hour grace period you will forfeit all reservation fees paid and Points per chart below unless POINTShield has been included in your reservation."

Bad advice from a sales rep
Oh No Tank! Say it ain't so!!:eek:o_O:D

Thanks all, I appreciate the replies!

golfman

TUG Member
Reaction score
After the 24-hour grace period you will forfeit all reservation fees paid and Points per chart below unless POINTShield has been included in your reservation."
Bmatrose is correct in what he stated. If you cancel within 24 hours of "Making" the reservation you get all fees returned. If you cancel after the 24 hours of "Making" the reservation you lose both the cost of making the reservation($64) and the point shield fee($51). This sales rep is wrong in stating that this will work, I've tried.

Umpqua98

Reaction score
Bmatrose is correct in what he stated. If you cancel within 24 hours of "Making" the reservation you get all fees returned. If you cancel after the 24 hours of "Making" the reservation you lose both the cost of making the reservation($64) and the point shield fee($51). This sales rep is wrong in stating that this will work, I've tried.
Looks like you and Bmatrose are correct about losing the reservation fee even if you have PointShield. I just looked at the PointShield portion of the membership guide and it says nothing about refunding the reservation fee. I think the text in the booking window is misleading, but oh well. Really not a big deal for me because cancellations for me should be few and far between. I am a professional planner (really...it's what I do for a living until I retire in 3 years) and hate changing my plans!