• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Booking a longer stay to get access to dates ahead of 8-month window

Rinse82

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever done this?

Looking to book a room that is currently showing low availability, about a week away from my 8-month booking window.

Was thinking of booking an extended stay (starting earlier), to get access to those dates now. Would I be able to call in and have Vistana change the arrival date after the fact to my originally intended arrival date?

Have enough SO to do it so was just wondering if anyone else has tried this.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
You can't change a booking. You will have to cancel and rebook.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Has anyone ever done this?

Looking to book a room that is currently showing low availability, about a week away from my 8-month booking window.

Was thinking of booking an extended stay (starting earlier), to get access to those dates now. Would I be able to call in and have Vistana change the arrival date after the fact to my originally intended arrival date?

Have enough SO to do it so was just wondering if anyone else has tried this.
No they cancel and rebook and you better hope the availability Is there.

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
You can’t walk a reservation with Vistana or just drop part of your booking. It would have to be completely canceled and then you risk losing the dates you actually want. If you don’t mind losing the SOs you can always check-in late by letting the resort know, but you won’t get the SO back.

LobsterHunter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HRA, WMH, WDW, SDO, SMV, WLR, (WFlex-no more, sold)
Yes, I've done this and it works. Just call owner services to cancel & re-book the shorter stay. Even if the shorter stay dates do not come back, they will send it to resolution services and you are guaranteed your dates, it just may take a day or two to get the confirmation. The ONLY catch is that if your check-in day is blocked for new bookings, you will have to pick another check-in day. This has only happened to me a couple times at Harborside on a busy Sat check-in, but the Fri or Sun were fine.

ocdb8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I've done this and it works. Just call owner services to cancel & re-book the shorter stay. Even if the shorter stay dates do not come back, they will send it to resolution services and you are guaranteed your dates, it just may take a day or two to get the confirmation. The ONLY catch is that if your check-in day is blocked for new bookings, you will have to pick another check-in day. This has only happened to me a couple times at Harborside on a busy Sat check-in, but the Fri or Sun were fine.

You are not "guaranteed" your dates - as you mentioned, certain check in dates are blocked once fully booked due to business of a resort (and for high traffic periods, Fri/Sun checkin may not have a full week available). Certain dates may also be blocked by others on the waitlist. Short answer, it can be done but there are no guarantees.

LobsterHunter

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HRA, WMH, WDW, SDO, SMV, WLR, (WFlex-no more, sold)
You are not "guaranteed" your dates - as you mentioned, certain check in dates are blocked once fully booked due to business of a resort (and for high traffic periods, Fri/Sun checkin may not have a full week available). Certain dates may also be blocked by others on the waitlist. Short answer, it can be done but there are no guarantees.

Even if a person is waitlisted for a reservation within the window of your reservation, they will not get the reservation instead of you. Although I said the reservation was guaranteed, I included the exception if a check-in day was fully booked. And even if a Sat is locked out, I have never had an issue changing the check-in day to a Fri or Sun (or any day if you are within the 8 month window). So while it may not be a 100% guarantee (that you will get your exact dates) it is pretty close.

keepgoing

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I had to shorten my stays in multiple resorts (WKORV, HRA) by calling Vistana and had no issue getting the shortened reservation on the same call. I always ask the agent if he/she can't secure the new date, can I get the old reservation back, and they always say "yeap, but it will take a couple days".