• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Blank space in posts

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know this has been addressed before, but is there a way to force a post to adhere to white space? Posting 'cut & paste' type charts is a chore when the blank space between fields gets compressed.

Thanks!

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
Web pages are written in a markup language called html. Consecutive spaces are ignored when html is interpreted. Try placing [pre] and [/pre] tags around your text to label it as pre-formatted text.

[Edited by mg to display correctly under current XenForo bulletin board software.]

Last edited:

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Web pages are written in a markup language called html. Consecutive spaces are ignored when html is interpreted. Try placing [pre] and [/pre] tags around your text to label it as pre-formatted text.

Great. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is this formatting aid ([pre]) still valid? Not working on a table I'm trying to post.

Last edited by a moderator:

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)
Is this formatting aid ([pre]) still valid? Not working on a table I'm trying to post.
That code was for the old vBulletin software we abandoned in November 2017. In our current XenForo bbs, there is no stock XF equivalent to [pre]. (You can get to a list of XF's bbcodes via the small "Help" link at the bottom of the page.)

I have now created a custom [pre] bbcode replacement for use here on TUGBBS.

The syntax is [pre]Text you wish to preformat[/pre], which will display the text in monospaced type, as you have formatted it, thus:

Text you wish to preformat

This not only displays in a monospaced font, but it prevents the concatenation of multiple spaces into single spaces as is done by normal HTML.

With this in place I've substantially revised the balance of this post.

If I enter this tabular data:
code1.JPG

It will actually display as:

Col 1    Col 2    Col3
a          b          c

Note that the column spacing is still off. That is because we're normally entering the text in the message composition dialog using variable spaced text where the spaces are thinner than most other characters, so you have to enter more of them to get your columns to line up the way you'd like. With the [pre] monospaced display where all characters are the same width those extra full-sized spaces shove things too far to the right. In the example above I needed 10 spaces between a and b, but when monospaced, only 8 are needed.

The easiest way to fix this for tabular data is to compose locally in a text editor using monospace type, then copy/paste it into the bbs composition window and surround the whole thing with [pre] and [/pre] tags.

But if you want to type tabular data into the bbs text editor directly, it much easier if you can view it in monospace type as you're doing it. Highlight your table text and use the
Button_font.jpg
font button in the editing toolbar to change the text to Courier New. Now you can visually adjust the spacing the way you prefer.

code2.JPG

It displays as:
Col 1    Col 2    Col3
a        b        c

Last edited: