• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Big Island trip #12

Harry

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Back to the BI my favorite. This time at Kings Land. Taking son and girlfriend, for a week. Any suggestions about unusual activities? Will be snorkeling and one day to volcano.

Harry

happymum

TUG Member
Reaction score
Was there recently with my son (27). He found doing the scuba with mantas an amazing experience.

ailin

TUG Member
Reaction score
+1 for the manta rays. We're not scuba divers, so we snorkeled. It was great, one of my most memorable travel experiences. I was very jealous of the scuba divers though. :)

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
If you head down toward Kailua-Kona, listen to live music while eating breakfast and watching waves at Island Lava Java.

2015-02-26%2007-27-04-M.jpg

Take a tour through the Hawaiian art in the lobby of the King Kamehameha's Kona Beach Hotel.

89%20King%20Kamehameha%27s%20Kona%20Beach%20Hotel%20-S.jpg
90%20King%20Kamehameha%27s%20Kona%20Beach%20Hotel%20-S.jpg
91%20King%20Kamehameha%27s%20Kona%20Beach%20Hotel%20-S.jpg
92%20King%20Kamehameha%27s%20Kona%20Beach%20Hotel%20-M.jpg

Sample craft beers at the Kona Brewing Pub.

100%20Kona%20Brewing%20-M.jpg

Last edited:

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
We went on a horseback ride thru Waipio valley on the NE side.
Also drove up to Hawi on north side, to the lookout at the end of the road. Then down the spine of the Kohala mtns to Waimea. Nice drive, with views of rolling fields down to the ocean.

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
We went on a horseback ride thru Waipio valley on the NE side.
Also drove up to Hawi on north side, to the lookout at the end of the road. Then down the spine of the Kohala mtns to Waimea. Nice drive, with views of rolling fields down to the ocean.

If they are into horseback riding, I would suggest Paniolo Adventures on Kohala Mountain Road. Horses and guides are top-notch, open range riding with beautiful views of the ocean and Maui.

Last edited:

slip

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I second Arts post. We have done all those he listed and all were great.

taffy19

Reaction score
Star gazing on the BIG Island

We took twice the tour with the same company but there are others too to choose from. Just Google "Star Gazing on the BIG Island" and you will find them. We were disappointed with our second time around so no longer recommend them.

We had quite a bit of snow one year and saw locals skiing down the mountain, Mauna Kea, in HI. :D

It has to be dark to see the "Milky Way". In other words no moon at all and it has to be a clear night too. Our first trip was perfect. We had friends with us from Europe. They loved it plus the volcano being active, of course.

It is very cold on top of Mauna Kea so be prepared. They will give you Parkas to wear and gloves but your feet are cold if you wear sandals without any socks. Woolen hiking socks will keep you warm even with open sandals as that is what I wore. :eek:

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
We took twice the tour with the same company but there are others too to choose from. Just Google "Star Gazing on the BIG Island" and you will find them. We were disappointed with our second time around so no longer recommend them.

We had quite a bit of snow one year and saw locals skiing down the mountain, Mauna Kea, in HI. :D

It has to be dark to see the "Milky Way". In other words no moon at all and it has to be a clear night too. Our first trip was perfect. We had friends with us from Europe. They loved it plus the volcano being active, of course.

It is very cold on top of Mauna Kea so be prepared. They will give you Parkas to wear and gloves but your feet are cold if you wear sandals without any socks. Woolen hiking socks will keep you warm even with open sandals as that is what I wore. :eek:

Star gazing is very cool.

Is lava visible now?

PDXGolfer

TUG Member
Reaction score
For those who are there right now, what are you hearing about the Dengue fever outbreak? Last I heard, it has grown quite a bit but still appears to be confined to certain areas on the island -- and Waikoloa is not one of those areas. We have a trip planned to Kings' Land but not until next year. In the meantime, we were curious about the status of the outbreak.

(Sorry for introducing a not-so-pleasant topic to this thread. :eek: :ignore:)

xzhan02

TUG Member
Reaction score
For those who are there right now, what are you hearing about the Dengue fever outbreak? Last I heard, it has grown quite a bit but still appears to be confined to certain areas on the island -- and Waikoloa is not one of those areas. We have a trip planned to Kings' Land but not until next year. In the meantime, we were curious about the status of the outbreak.

(Sorry for introducing a not-so-pleasant topic to this thread. :eek: :ignore:)

Website for update
health.hawaii.gov/docd/dengue-outbreak-2015/

Waipio valley is closed:
http://hawaiitribune-herald.com/new...efense-shuts-down-access-because-dengue-fever

cgeidl

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
For engagement meal

Do the one fifty club. Just go to Costco and do like the locals and get the $1.50 lunch. New engagements call for an economical lifestyle.
Seriously for a fun local place with friendly service go to Jackie Reyes. We go several times each trip.

Kel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the engagement. For romance… Dinner at sunset at the Canoe House Restaurant at the Mauna Lani Bay Hotel. Have a great trip!