• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Beware of BradP at Cabo Trade

J.Ramaj

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would be wary of doing any business with Brad at Cabo Trade. I responded to a listing on the marketplace for a Regal Vista floating timeshare. I asked him if it was still available and he said it was. We discussed the maintenance fees etc and he sent me a letter of intent to sign. I signed it and sent it back with my ID. I didn't hear anything for about 3 months so I emailed him. No response. Emailed again and he said paperwork was still processing. A different person emailed me like a week later from them saying they needed a phone number for the paperwork. Gave it to them and didn't hear anything else until one day when I logged into my Massanutten account I saw a new timeshare had been added. But it was a fixed week Woodstone during Shoulder season. Not what I wanted as I already have a Woodstone week and was looking forward to using the Regal. I emailed hem asking that happened as I signed a letter of intent for the Regal Vistas and no one communicated the change..I also never signed the new deed so I'm assuming my signature was forged on there. Of course with them delaying so much I was way past the rescind period.

I emailed them again but if course no one has responded. Stay far away from Cabo Trade as they will likely give you a timeshare you didn't want and theirs communication is non existent once you sign the paperwork

EJC

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, Vacation Internationale, Villa del Palmar, Dikhololo, Paradise Village, Lindo Mar
I would be wary of doing any business with Brad at Cabo Trade. I responded to a listing on the marketplace for a Regal Vista floating timeshare. I asked him if it was still available and he said it was. We discussed the maintenance fees etc and he sent me a letter of intent to sign. I signed it and sent it back with my ID. I didn't hear anything for about 3 months so I emailed him. No response. Emailed again and he said paperwork was still processing. A different person emailed me like a week later from them saying they needed a phone number for the paperwork. Gave it to them and didn't hear anything else until one day when I logged into my Massanutten account I saw a new timeshare had been added. But it was a fixed week Woodstone during Shoulder season. Not what I wanted as I already have a Woodstone week and was looking forward to using the Regal. I emailed hem asking that happened as I signed a letter of intent for the Regal Vistas and no one communicated the change..I also never signed the new deed so I'm assuming my signature was forged on there. Of course with them delaying so much I was way past the rescind period.

I emailed them again but if course no one has responded. Stay far away from Cabo Trade as they will likely give you a timeshare you didn't want and theirs communication is non existent once you sign the paperwork
I had a very good experience with them. It was a few years ago. Perhaps something has changed since then.

J.Ramaj

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had a very good experience with them. It was a few years ago. Perhaps something has changed since then.
That's actually what made me trust them. There were a few TUG posts from people saying they were great. I'm not sure what happened. They still haven't responded so it's looking like I'll be paying for a timeshare I don't want. I doubt I'll be able to give it away but I may try to next year.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
That's actually what made me trust them. There were a few TUG posts from people saying they were great. I'm not sure what happened. They still haven't responded so it's looking like I'll be paying for a timeshare I don't want. I doubt I'll be able to give it away but I may try to next year.
how was the deed recorded without your signature?

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
In most states, there is no need for the buyer (receiver) to sign a deed as they are not conveying anything. You should look into recording a disclaimer of conveyance.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@davidvel are you saying that anyone can just file a free deed in someone else's name?

If so, then why can't anyone simply file a deed in the developers name when they want to exit? Why would the developer incur legal fees to disclaim conveyance knowing that they will have to pay more legal fees for foreclosure since the outcome would be the same i.e. they get the deed back in their ownership.

Perhaps I am missing something here because I am not a lawyer.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
In most states, there is no need for the buyer (receiver) to sign a deed as they are not conveying anything. You should look into recording a disclaimer of conveyance.
Perhaps I am just misunderstanding things here, but im finding it difficult to believe that anyone could transfer ownership of any real estate much less have that ownership recorded by the county without a signature from both the buyer and seller.

not signing the ACTUAL deed perhaps, but a signature (other than a simple letter of intent) would most certainly be required for any legitimate transfer of ownership.

Id also want to see a copy of the "letter of intent" you signed.

Last edited:

scootr5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista, Wyndham (points and Avenue Plaza Mardi Gras week)
not signing the ACTUAL deed perhaps, but a signature (other than a simple letter of intent) would most certainly be required for any legitimate transfer of ownership.

That is the key word right there bolded. But yes, there are very few instances where a buyer is required to sign the deed. It would certainly be easy to create and record a new deed with a new owner listed that did not know they owned the property.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Got a point there! I have no doubt that it would be possible to accomplish this task if someone didnt care about following the rules!

however that would make for a very simple dispute for the unsuspecting owner who didnt actually sign anything...Though probably not a quick or fun process to get things cleared up!

My first call would be to owner services at massanutten to start the process of unraveling this mess!

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
@davidvel are you saying that anyone can just file a free deed in someone else's name?

If so, then why can't anyone simply file a deed in the developers name when they want to exit? Why would the developer incur legal fees to disclaim conveyance knowing that they will have to pay more legal fees for foreclosure since the outcome would be the same i.e. they get the deed back in their ownership.

Yes, you sure can give a deed to someone else without their knowledge. All of the Wyndham deeds I have filed have required only our names as grantor. No grantee signatures required. I did have everyone sign a contract. That would be my proof that they wanted the points.

jules54

TUG Member
Reaction score

If you used your credit card it doesn’t matter if the rescission time is over. Go through the process of cancelling it on your credit card. Do this now don’t ask don’t get.
I think only the seller has to sign the deed in most states, not certain about that I’m probably wrong.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn

Perhaps I am just misunderstanding things here, but im finding it difficult to believe that anyone could transfer ownership of any real estate much less have that ownership recorded by the county without a signature from both the buyer and seller.

Id also want to see a copy of the "letter of intent" you signed.
I believe there may be some jurisdictions that require a recipient's signature, but this is not the norm. At the same time, almost (if not) every state requires a written agreement to make a transfer of property valid, and without one the transferor would be liable for fraud and likely a crime.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
I guess we need to see what was contained in this "letter of intent" discussed in the OP.

surely any purchase agreement that could be considered remotely legal or binding would have the exact details of the ownership included if not an estoppel to verify what was being agreed to!

hoping for an update on this!

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
If you used your credit card it doesn’t matter if the rescission time is over. Go through the process of cancelling it on your credit card. Do this now don’t ask don’t get.
I think only the seller has to sign the deed in most states, not certain about that I’m probably wrong.
I suspect it was a free timeshare. No money changing hands. In any case, disputing the credit card transaction won't reverse the deed.

J.Ramaj

TUG Member
Reaction score
how was the deed recorded without your signature?
That's what blew my mind. For the other timeshares I acquired they always sent me a deed that I had to sign. After I signed the letter of intent and sent my ID and phone number I didn't hear anything else which is what made me follow up later. I know the process can take awhile. But I definitely never signed the deed. I have to always go get it notarized and I never did for them.

J.Ramaj

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have attached the letter of intent and our original emails. Starting off it all sounded standard to me. Even the part about sending the documents to me. But they never sent anything to me other than the letter of intent..I still feel like they didn't send me the deed for my signature and to get notarized because it would have clearly said Woodstone and not Regal Vistas. If it was sold to someone else I have no issue with that, but at least tell me and give me the option to continue or cancel

Attachments

• IMG_2596.png
    IMG_2596.png
    316.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2597.png
    IMG_2597.png
    405.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2598.png
    IMG_2598.png
    496.9 KB · Views: 18

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
That's what blew my mind. For the other timeshares I acquired they always sent me a deed that I had to sign. After I signed the letter of intent and sent my ID and phone number I didn't hear anything else which is what made me follow up later. I know the process can take awhile. But I definitely never signed the deed. I have to always go get it notarized and I never did for them.
Unless you've purchased in Louisiana, you haven't signed a deed when you purchased a timeshare.

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I have attached the letter of intent and our original emails. Starting off it all sounded standard to me. Even the part about sending the documents to me. But they never sent anything to me other than the letter of intent..I still feel like they didn't send me the deed for my signature and to get notarized because it would have clearly said Woodstone and not Regal Vistas. If it was sold to someone else I have no issue with that, but at least tell me and give me the option to continue or cancel
While titled Letter of Intent, this reads like a contract. You do need to push back on the fact that what was conveyed to you is not what the Letter of Intent indicated.

EJC

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, Vacation Internationale, Villa del Palmar, Dikhololo, Paradise Village, Lindo Mar
Have you tried calling Brad? If they’re not responding to emails, then I’d try calling Brad. They really should straighten this out. The timeshare listed on the letter of intent is not what you agreed to purchase.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
seems very clear to me that what you signed states regal vistas week 7....and you got woodstone instead.

likely going to cost them a bit of time and money to sort this out but thats not your responsibility to set it right vs theirs.

would also agree to call vs email.

Last edited:

J.Ramaj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have you tried calling Brad? If they’re not responding to emails, then I’d try calling Brad. They really should straighten this out. The timeshare listed on the letter of intent is not what you agreed to purchase.
Yes. No one ever answers and the person on the voicemail never says a company name. He basically says "you have called" and then proceeds to call out the number you called. He never returns the call or voicemail. I also tried calling the other person I dealt with there but that number is no longer in service. I'm not sure what to do since they seem to have gone underground, disappeared etc. and I don't have any last names. Just the first name and an initial.

J.Ramaj

TUG Member
Reaction score
seems very clear to me that what you signed states regal vistas week 7....and you got woodstone instead.

likely going to cost them a bit of time and money to sort this out but thats not your responsibility to set it right vs theirs.

would also agree to call vs email.
Yep, not only that it said Week 7 floating. The Woodstone I have is a fixed week. I may travel there to ski in the future but I wanted the flexibilty that I have with my other timeshares and I feel the Regal Vistas are great for family trips with it being like a little house. I'm sure you've seen my other post. I have tried calling. The number that works and is labeled as "customer service" just goes to the voicemail of a guy that doesn't say a name or company name etc. he just reads the number you called. The other person I dealt with has a number not in service.

I'm a very patient person and try not to damage people's rep but after numerous attempts of trying to contact them once the Woodstone randomly showed up in my account I figured I should sound the alarm here, just in case they pop up again with more timeshares to sell, giveaway etc. Either way this looks like it will turn into an expensive thing. Either by fighting with the resort and seeing if they can release me from that contract without putting a black mark on my account (i already own at the Summit) which will affect my other weeks there, or by just sucking it up and paying the maint fees for something I didn't want and maybe trying to use it. I doubt a lawyer could do much with the limited info I have on Cabotrade and the people I dealt with there.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
would also suggest reaching out to massanutten to start this dispute process on that end as well...no doubt they are going to be involved in making this right in one way or another.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I believe there may be some jurisdictions that require a recipient's signature, but this is not the norm. At the same time, almost (if not) every state requires a written agreement to make a transfer of property valid, and without one the transferor would be liable for fraud and likely a crime.
Good point for a living person.

But what if upon death a will named the timeshare developer as recipient and the executor acted upon the wishes of the will by filing a deed. If asked they would say they didn't know the developer would not want it. By way of example, for most items in a will, heirs do not object to their inheritance. The executor was acting on the wishes of the will.

It still seems that the developer would not want to spend legal money fighting the estate for something that would be difficult (if not impossible) to prove, just to pay more money to lawyers to get it back in foreclosure. #justsaying

SteveinHNL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good point for a living person.

But what if upon death a will named the timeshare developer as recipient and the executor acted upon the wishes of the will by filing a deed. If asked they would say they didn't know the developer would not want it. By way of example, for most items in a will, heirs do not object to their inheritance. The executor was acting on the wishes of the will.

It still seems that the developer would not want to spend legal money fighting the estate for something that would be difficult (if not impossible) to prove, just to pay more money to lawyers to get it back in foreclosure. #justsaying

I think by the time someone dies and an estate is involved, the TS company will basically be happy to get it back. Under the circs you are describing, it's a no-pay situation already so a take-back is inevitable after a year or 2 of non-performance of MFs.