• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Better Toll Road Transponder

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Quick question, we will be driving from Michigan to both Chicago and Orlando this year and would like to use a transponder. Both E-ZPass and Sun Pass Pro work in both trips (might use in Ohio and Indiana in the future). Which would be the best choice or most cost efficient, especially if we might not use it every year.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
The first thing I'd look for is to make sure there are no ongoing fees when you aren't otherwise using it. After that, see if one or the other will discount tolls in Illinois or Florida.

callwill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also look to see if there is a user discount in the state of primary use before obtaining one.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Also look to see if there is a user discount in the state of primary use before obtaining one.
I’ve checked the E-ZPass and there is a yearly fee. Ohio is the cheapest at $6. I have not found out anything about Sun Pass Pro.

callwill

TUG Member
Reaction score
My NY EZ pass has no fee and i get a discount on NYS tolls.
I picked mine up at a grocery store for 25 bucks, that 25 bucks goes towards tolls. Need to link it to a bank account or credit card to automatically refill and use the net to look at statements to avoid fees.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Uhhh. What's a 'transponder'? Wassa 'toll road'? Don'tcha pay for the roads at the gas pump? WassamattaU?

Reaction score
Uhhh. What's a 'transponder'? Wassa 'toll road'? Don'tcha pay for the roads at the gas pump? WassamattaU?
As a 40 year resident of the Orlando area, Florida toll roads are a waste of money. Wherever you need to go, take local roads and/or I-4. There are always alternate routes. Paying tolls so you can save an 5 extra minutes isn't worth it. I know in New Jersey and Pennsylvania, it's almost required to pay tolls, same with northern Ohio, Indiana, and Chicago.

TS

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
As a 40 year resident of the Orlando area, Florida toll roads are a waste of money.
So you don't think it is worth $2.94 to take the 4-lane, I-75 across Alligator Alley (about 75 miles) vs. the 2-lane US 41? Or a lousy $1.07 to cross the Sunshine Skyway bridge vs. driving clear around Tampa Bay? These were just two of our most recent toll charges on our SunPass account. Florida has very reasonable tolls vs. many parts of the country. For example, in Colorado it can cost you up to $40 to drive in the Express Lane for 13 miles on I-70 west of Denver (dynamic demand-based pricing).

Thanks for the opinion, but I think there are many places in Florida where the tolls are a bargain.

Kurt

Last edited:

Brett

Reaction score
As a 40 year resident of the Orlando area, Florida toll roads are a waste of money. Wherever you need to go, take local roads and/or I-4. There are always alternate routes. Paying tolls so you can save an 5 extra minutes isn't worth it. I know in New Jersey and Pennsylvania, it's almost required to pay tolls, same with northern Ohio, Indiana, and Chicago.

TS

sure, there are alternate routes but if one values their time Florida road tolls can be worth it.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

TS
Tolls in Ohio are mostly a northern Ohio thing. We never paid a toll in Ohio when we lived in southwest Ohio for nearly 20 years. We Have a Sunpass now living in Florida and love the I4 Express Lanes when going from Jacksonville to the WDW area. While we could drive in the non toll lanes, we avoid most of the crazies by taking the Express Lanes. Did the same thing on a drive up from Miami yesterday. The Express Lanes are worth the few bucks. A bill was signed in December to provide a 50% rebate for those that use their transponder to pay 35 or more tolls in a month. That won't help us, but I certainly won't go out of my way on traffic ridden side roads to avoid a few cents or even a buck on tolls. I couldn't imagine the path I would have to take to get from south of Orlando to the beaches (Cocoa) without taking the Beachline (toll).

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have the NC Quick Pass. It has no annual fee, and the transponder cost less than $10 to purchase. Works in NC, GA, FL and all the EZ Pass states.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I think there are many places in Florida where the tolls are a bargain.
I concur.
The Sanibel Island causeway is not a bargain, but worth it, nonetheless.
--------------------
OTOH, you can do quite well w/o tolls in Orlando, if you know the roads.
Much less nerve wracking, too.

5finny

TUG Member
Reaction score
Glad I saw this post
I have the Illinois I-Pass
Turns out it can be used on all Florida toll roads
Most may already have known that but I did not

louisianab

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV and Vacation Village at Williamsburg.
An enthusiastic YES to using the E-ZPass or other valid transponder if going to Chicago city proper, on the 80/90 thru Indiana and over the Skyway. Much less important if you want to just take 94/294 around to the suburbs or Wisconsin or are just going to O'Hare.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks everybody for the input. I bought a Sun Pass Pro. It was $25 ($15 for the transponder and $10 prepaid tolls). I do not see a yearly fee as the E-ZPass states do. They are sending it in the mail and will be here next week in time for our Chicago trip at the end of the month.

JudyH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everybody for the input. I bought a Sun Pass Pro. It was $25 ($15 for the transponder and $10 prepaid tolls). I do not see a yearly fee as the E-ZPass states do. They are sending it in the mail and will be here next week in time for our Chicago trip at the end of the month.
Good decision. I have the Florida one and it came in handy going thru Boston onto Cape Cod.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Last year we replaced our Sun Pass transponder with a Sun Pass Pro. The Pro worked in more states for an extended trip we were taking.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have an E-Pass Xtra, which is the predecessor of the Uni from the Central FL Expressway. $15 for the device, no other fees beyond the tolls. It is portable, and works pretty much everywhere, though I suspect I'll need to upgrade the transponder eventually. You do need to manually register it to each car as you move it, though. If you forget to move it off of your rental car, you'll be paying for the next customer(s) tolls. (I speak from experience here.)

Patricia9

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fisherman's Sunset Resort, Playa Del Carmen, MX
I hate tolls, last time I went to Chicago they had changed things so much I missed 2 of them and had to pay when I got home. I'm just going the stay here in the 906 where there are none.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I hate tolls, last time I went to Chicago they had changed things so much I missed 2 of them and had to pay when I got home. I'm just going the stay here in the 906 where there are none.
Love me the 906! So many cool locations in the UP, but Marquette will always be my favorite. Proud NMU grad who got to play in the Yooper Dome. Portside Inn was my old haunt, but Blackrocks (the park and brew house) are fun as well. Cliff dove into Gitchee Goomie several times as a younger person.

Michigan has hardly any toll roads. The only toll even close to the UP is the on The Mighty Mac.

dago

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’ve checked the E-ZPass and there is a yearly fee. Ohio is the cheapest at $6. I have not found out anything about Sun Pass Pro.
The annual fee for Ohio E-ZPass is $9.00. $.75 a month. At least, that's what I pay.

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have two free E-ZPass transponders from New York.

Late January, we drove from Panama City Beach to Pompano and the transponder worked fine on the Florida Turnpike replacing Sun Pass.
It was a pleasure avoiding our usual route in FL from CT, I-95. I didn't even bother to total the cost of the tolls.

bankr63

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana Resort Orlando (2BR, Deeded Wk10) , Silver Lake Resort Orlando (3BRLO)
I don't think I've seen one of the OPs question answered. There are no annual fees for Sun Pass Pro. We've had Pro for over a year now (had regular SP for several years) and there are no fees. But you do end up with a bit of a balance sitting in your account between uses. Ours topped up using it on the US to Canada toll bridge on the way home last March, so there's been a few bucks sitting there for the past year - we drive south again next Friday. And yes, you get better discounts on some of the Florida tolls - depends who operates that section. Works seamlessly with EZ-Pass for us mostly. We did have one toll on the Charlotte NC stretch do a toll by plate instead of transponder, but the rest of the gantries picked up the transponder fine and it looks like they charged us the transponder fee.