• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best Way to Make Reservations?

NWL

TUG Member
Reaction score
I learned another newbie lesson the other day when trying to book for 2010. Must call at 7am:D What is the best way to contact the advisors - log on to the web site and have them call you, or call the main VA phone number?

Also, what's the best way to find out when your dates open up? I've just been using the "call me" feature on the web site.

Thanks for your input!

larue

TUG Member
Reaction score
I learned another newbie lesson the other day when trying to book for 2010. Must call at 7am:D What is the best way to contact the advisors - log on to the web site and have them call you, or call the main VA phone number?

Also, what's the best way to find out when your dates open up? I've just been using the "call me" feature on the web site.

Thanks for your input!

You must own multiple weeks? My 2010 use is not available to me yet. I think the best way to check for available dates is to use the website.

NWL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes larue, I do have multiple weeks. Last year I called at the beginning of March and had no problem booking 3 weeks for Jan. 2009. Needless to say I didn't think I would have trouble this year with the same dates, so I didn't call until noon my time. I was very surprised to learn the dates I wanted were all gone.:eek:

How do people without multiple weeks ever get what they want?

Thanks for your input!

larue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes larue, I do have multiple weeks. Last year I called at the beginning of March and had no problem booking 3 weeks for Jan. 2009. Needless to say I didn't think I would have trouble this year with the same dates, so I didn't call until noon my time. I was very surprised to learn the dates I wanted were all gone.:eek:

How do people without multiple weeks ever get what they want?

Thanks for your input!

Check again periodically between now and 12 months out, as people make and then change/cancel reservations all the time. Also check again at 12 months. They only release 50% of the inventory at 13 months, so there are another 50% of the weeks you want that will come available at 12 months out. If you log in on the website using your username and password, you can check availability starting at 9:00 a.m. eastern time zone on the first check in day of your desired vacation week. For example, if your resort allows check in on Thursday, Friday and Saturday, and you want to check in on Saturday, you need to call at 9:00 a.m. on Thursday to see if it is available. Marriott's site says the following:

"Please remember, the reservation calendar will display any availability as early as 9 a.m. Eastern time 12 months before the first check-in day of your desired vacation week and for arrival on any of that week's check-in days."

NWL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the great information larue! I was not aware that I could call on a Friday to book for a Sunday arrival. I got various release dates from the VAs I talked to, with most saying my date would open on a Monday. One actually said Friday, but changed it to Monday.

Thanks to you, I may get my dates. :whoopie:

larue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the great information larue! I was not aware that I could call on a Friday to book for a Sunday arrival. I got various release dates from the VAs I talked to, with most saying my date would open on a Monday. One actually said Friday, but changed it to Monday.

Glad to help!

aka Julie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shadow Ridge (platinum)

Just goes to show how "valuable" the VAs are.

You'll get your best advice right here on TUG.

Dave M

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I got various release dates from the VAs I talked to, with most saying my date would open on a Monday.
Generally, you can call on a Monday or a Tuesday when calling for reserving 13 months in advance for resorts that have Friday (but not Thursday) check-ins. However, as discussed in the FAQs for this Marriott forum (located at the top of the list of topics), the calculation is easy.

There are exceptions to the Monday/Tuesday general rule for 13-month reservations when calling in February or in a leap year. Thus, best advice is to ignore the day of the week and look at the date (e.g., the 15th) of the month for the first possible check-in date for the month you want to reserve. It's that date in the month either 12 months or 13 months in advance when you can call.

The two easy calculations demonstrated:

Look at a 2010 calendar for the month you want to reserve and look at the first check-in date for the first of your weeks that you want to reserve. I'll assume it's Friday, January 15, 2010.

For 12-month reservations, you can call exactly one year (12 months) in advance: Thursday, January 15, 2009.

For 13-month reservations, you can call exactly 13 months in advance, which would have been Monday, December 15, 2008.

NWL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Generally, you can call on a Monday or a Tuesday when calling for reserving 13 months in advance for resorts that have Friday (but not Thursday) check-ins. However, as discussed in the FAQs for this Marriott forum (located at the top of the list of topics), the calculation is easy.

There are exceptions to the Monday/Tuesday general rule for 13-month reservations when calling in February or in a leap year. Thus, best advice is to ignore the day of the week and look at the date (e.g., the 15th) of the month for the first possible check-in date for the month you want to reserve. It's that date in the month either 12 months or 13 months in advance when you can call.

The two easy calculations demonstrated:

Look at a 2010 calendar for the month you want to reserve and look at the first check-in date for the first of your weeks that you want to reserve. I'll assume it's Friday, January 15, 2010.

For 12-month reservations, you can call exactly one year (12 months) in advance: Thursday, January 15, 2009.

For 13-month reservations, you can call exactly 13 months in advance, which would have been Monday, December 15, 2008.

The light bulb has finally been lit!:doh: Thanks to all who took the time to educate a newbie! :cheer:

NWL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Still No Reservation.

Thanks to everyone who provided advice in this thread. Unfortunately, I still have no reservations. :( I called at 9am eastern on the dot this morning and waited 15 minutes to talk to an advisor. (I called a few times before 9am and the system would not take the call) My resort was booked solid again at 13 months out. I tried to get through using the web call link, but it was not working at the time. I had 2 phones in use at 9am on the dot using 2 different phone numbers. I plan on doing a test run at 12 months out using the web site for a week I don't want just to see if it is easier.

Any more words of wisdom for a frustrated newbie?

Thanks!

ciscogizmo1

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Shadow Ridge, Timber Lodge & Waiohai
Westin: Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Villas
Disney: Beach Club Villas & Bay Lake Towers
Thanks to everyone who provided advice in this thread. Unfortunately, I still have no reservations. :( I called at 9am eastern on the dot this morning and waited 15 minutes to talk to an advisor. (I called a few times before 9am and the system would not take the call) My resort was booked solid again at 13 months out. I tried to get through using the web call link, but it was not working at the time. I had 2 phones in use at 9am on the dot using 2 different phone numbers. I plan on doing a test run at 12 months out using the web site for a week I don't want just to see if it is easier.

Any more words of wisdom for a frustrated newbie?

Thanks!
I actually call and use the website to make my reservation but I'm making most of my reservations at 12 months. For 13 month reservations I believe you have to call there are no online options.

I would just try again at 12 months.

Another thing I do when I call is to pre-dial the number at 8:55 am EST and then, I keep hitting redial and I use two phones my cell and home phone. Also, I skip over the annoying prompts by knowing which prompts to hit. So, pre-dial and figure out how to get through the system. When you get prompted don't listen to the entire message just hit the number you need.

Good luck!!!

NWL

TUG Member
Reaction score
I actually call and use the website to make my reservation but I'm making most of my reservations at 12 months. For 13 month reservations I believe you have to call there are no online options.

I would just try again at 12 months.

Another thing I do when I call is to pre-dial the number at 8:55 am EST and then, I keep hitting redial and I use two phones my cell and home phone. Also, I skip over the annoying prompts by knowing which prompts to hit. So, pre-dial and figure out how to get through the system. When you get prompted don't listen to the entire message just hit the number you need.

Good luck!!!

Thanks for your advice. Unfortunately that's exactly what I did. I had to wait for the system to come on-line before I could hit the number I needed. One VA suggested I use the "Click to Call" feature on the web site, but it was not working at the time. It worked fine later in the morning, so I assume they disabled the feature because all VA were occupied. Another VA speculated that Marriott didn't build enough units.

Suffice it to say I'm very frustrated with the system, and I am feeling like a complete idiot for coming anywhere near a timeshare.

Thanks for letting me rant.

NWL

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Vacation Club web site says your Maintenance Fees have to be paid before you can make a reservation. My MF is due 1/23 and I don't plan on paying them until after Jan. 1. A VA today said that would not prevent me from making my reservations. Was she right, or am I being told there's no availability because I haven't Paid my MF? I would hope if it's because I haven't paid my MF they would say so when trying to make a reservation.

Any thoughts?

Michigan Czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club Annual, 2 x Marriott's Maui Ocean Club Odd
The agent was correct, this is not a factor. I just reserved week 51 a week ago and I haven't paid my 2009 MFs yet.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Vacation Club web site says your Maintenance Fees have to be paid before you can make a reservation. ...
Not true. I booked my 2009 week in June 2008 and just got my Apri 2009 exchange confirmed. I will pay my 2009 MF around 1/15/2009.

NWL

TUG Member
Reaction score
The agent was correct, this is not a factor. I just reserved week 51 a week ago and I haven't paid my 2009 MFs yet.

Might you tell me your strategy for securing such a prime week 12 months out? ;) I've tried everything. :confused:

aka Julie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shadow Ridge (platinum)
Where do you own that you are trying to book? This may help in getting some advice from the seasoned veterans.

NWL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Where do you own that you are trying to book? This may help in getting some advice from the seasoned veterans.

Shadow Ridge Enclaves in Palm Desert. One VA speculated that I had an easier time last year because Marriott had not sold many units at that point, so no one to compete with when making reservations. More sales during the year resulted in more competition. Makes sense to me.

Folks, don't get me wrong. I have no problem jumping through hoops to secure a reservation. We bought this as a winter getaway to use every year. My frustration stems from not being able to book my home resort when it serves me best.

Thanks again for your input! :cheer:

ciscogizmo1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shadow Ridge Enclaves in Palm Desert. One VA speculated that I had an easier time last year because Marriott had not sold many units at that point, so no one to compete with when making reservations. More sales during the year resulted in more competition. Makes sense to me.

Folks, don't get me wrong. I have no problem jumping through hoops to secure a reservation. We bought this as a winter getaway to use every year. My frustration stems from not being able to book my home resort when it serves me best.

Thanks again for your input! :cheer:

Okay... there has gotta be some other issue. I own at Shadow Ridge and I've never had to call at 9 am EST to reserve my week. It is not like a Maui week. In fact, I just reserved week 51 last week online with no problems and I did not do it at 9 am EST (I believe I went online around 11 am EST). Also, I could see the calendar online and there were many weeks available in all the months. I think, there were only hand full of check-in weeks that were gone. Off the top of my head it looked like spring break was booked and President's week was booked for Fri & Sat check-in but I could still see a Sunday Check-in.

I know, it isn't the same resort but they are right next to each other. Palm Springs isn't like reserving at Maui and I don't think January would be the popular time. I think, Feb/Mar/Apr during spring break, the Indian Wells tournament, etc... I know the Bob Hope Classic can get popular.

How many units are available for reservation?

I've own at Shadow Ridge for 6 years and never once had a problem reserving in fact I don't go at 9 am EST.

So, I'm confused why this would happen here :shrug:

NWL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Okay... there has gotta be some other issue. I own at Shadow Ridge and I've never had to call at 9 am EST to reserve my week. It is not like a Maui week. In fact, I just reserved week 51 last week online with no problems and I did not do it at 9 am EST (I believe I went online around 11 am EST). Also, I could see the calendar online and there were many weeks available in all the months. I think, there were only hand full of check-in weeks that were gone. Off the top of my head it looked like spring break was booked and President's week was booked for Fri & Sat check-in but I could still see a Sunday Check-in.

I know, it isn't the same resort but they are right next to each other. Palm Springs isn't like reserving at Maui and I don't think January would be the popular time. I think, Feb/Mar/Apr during spring break, the Indian Wells tournament, etc... I know the Bob Hope Classic can get popular.

How many units are available for reservation?

I've own at Shadow Ridge for 6 years and never once had a problem reserving in fact I don't go at 9 am EST.

So, I'm confused why this would happen here :shrug:

Ok, now I'm really confused. :confused: (not that that is unusual :) ) Right now I'm going with number of units compared to number of owners (assuming the MFs are not an issue).

Agree? Disagree? :shrug:

Michigan Czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club Annual, 2 x Marriott's Maui Ocean Club Odd
I own at Maui and I start calling around 8:55 am Est and I get online too and make the reservation with whichever option opens up first. I only received a Sunday check in as Saturday was gone already but I was still very happy.

Ggatorgirl

Reaction score
Canyon Villas

We own a Plt week at Canyon Villas and for the last 6 seasons have tried to book a March week (Spring Training)at MCV. We were successful only once. We have been able to trade into Westin and Sheraton Vacation Clubs through II, but it frustrates me no end that I have to pay the fees to II to stay in Phoenix when I paid big bucks to MVCI!!

I go through the whole dance of using multiple phones, multiple computers, starting at 8:55...but to no avail!!!

I truly believe that there ought to be a way for owners who want to actually stay at their home resort to have some preference over those who make the reservations only for trade or to rent out. Isn't that part of the Marriott sales pitch...to buy where you want to stay??? Why do they make it so hard for me to stay where I have bought??

NWL

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own a Plt week at Canyon Villas and for the last 6 seasons have tried to book a March week (Spring Training)at MCV. We were successful only once. We have been able to trade into Westin and Sheraton Vacation Clubs through II, but it frustrates me no end that I have to pay the fees to II to stay in Phoenix when I paid big bucks to MVCI!!

I go through the whole dance of using multiple phones, multiple computers, starting at 8:55...but to no avail!!!

I truly believe that there ought to be a way for owners who want to actually stay at their home resort to have some preference over those who make the reservations only for trade or to rent out. Isn't that part of the Marriott sales pitch...to buy where you want to stay??? Why do they make it so hard for me to stay where I have bought??

I am with you on that Ggatorgirl!!!!!!! I checked II and there seems to be 3 Enclave units (1 full and 2 lock-offs) in the mix already. I too just want to stay at my home resort.

ciscogizmo1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Honestly.... you are trying to reserve a DIFFICULT week and you should have problems. If you didn't want a floating week system you should have bought into a fixed week system. I did not want a fixed week system so, I choose Marriott. The week the OP is trying to reserve is not a difficult week. So, there is another issue and it has to be with her account or something like that. I just don't believe those weeks are already reserved. Maybe if she was trying for Spring Break or the Indian Well Tournament then, I'd be more incline to understand but January.

And, I totally disagree with your last statement as an owner I feel I have the right to do whatever I want with my week. There should be no priority given to owners based on how they want to use their week. Besides how would you determine what you want to do with your week 12 months out. There have been many times I've reserved my week 12 months out and then, decided at 6 months we are going to rent. That is the joy of owning a Marriott I have other options if I don't want to use the week I reserved. That's why I like Marriott.

Last edited: