• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best Washington DC Marriott

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake
We've given up hope of landing an August Spanish Marriott exchange so have cashed in our Avios points and booked flights to Washington and an exchange into the Manor Club in Williamsburg.

We aim to spend a couple of nights in DC and then drive down to Williamsburg on the Friday but not sure what Marriott to choose whilst we're in DC as there's so many to choose from.

Ideally we'd like a concierge lounge to take advantage of and as we'll be there midweek there's no worry about it being closed. Two kids to think about (11 & 9) so perhaps a suite or something more appropriate (can forego the lounge if needs be!)

Any advice greatly appreciated.

SkyBlueWaters

Reaction score
Can you book The Mayflower? It's got a lounge. Right up the street from the White House and National Mall. If not, all the hotels up from the Marriott brand tier (not the Residence Inn, Fairfield, etc. which offer free breakfasts) have lounges.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Can you book The Mayflower? It's got a lounge. Right up the street from the White House and National Mall. If not, all the hotels up from the Marriott brand tier (not the Residence Inn, Fairfield, etc. which offer free breakfasts) have lounges.

Forgot to mention....The Mayflower is not available for the dates we need.

spottie

Reaction score
I personally like Washington Marriott Wardman Park. It is right across from the National Zoo. My kids are similar age to yours and they enjoy very much visiting the zoo. The hotel is close to the metro and usually cheaper than the other Marriott downtown.
We had stayed at JW Marriott Washington, DC for Race for the Cure event for couple of years and it is pretty nice and steps away from White House & National Mall.
We also like to stay at Residence Inn or Fairfield Inn around DC on our way over to Williamsburg or Hilton Head. Residence Inn has kitchen facilities, so they are more like timeshares. As SkyBlueWaters mentioned, they offer free breakfast as well.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I personally like Washington Marriott Wardman Park. It is right across from the National Zoo. My kids are similar age to yours and they enjoy very much visiting the zoo. The hotel is close to the metro and usually cheaper than the other Marriott downtown.
We had stayed at JW Marriott Washington, DC for Race for the Cure event for couple of years and it is pretty nice and steps away from White House & National Mall.
We also like to stay at Residence Inn or Fairfield Inn around DC on our way over to Williamsburg or Hilton Head. Residence Inn has kitchen facilities, so they are more like timeshares. As SkyBlueWaters mentioned, they offer free breakfast as well.

Thank you.

Just had a look at the Residence Inn and the room layouts look much more suitable for us than the other hotels. I would consider the rooms as a more important feature than a concierge lounge particularly when considering the difference between US and non US lounges. Not so much interested in the zoo, animals in captivity doesn't do it for me but certainly the major sights and history.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd opt for either location and trade off room size or go the other way around.

Location: Renaissance Washington DC hotel, JW, Residence Inn Dupont Circle, Marriott Marquis, Marriott Metro Center

Size: Residence Inn Capitol Hill, Residence Inn by GW University, Residence Inn Roslynn (on other side of Key Bridge in VA, but right by Metro, Residence Inn Capitol View (in Crystal City, near metro).

Wardman is neither of these unless you get upgraded to a suite. I like the hotel a lot, but not in walking distance to much other than the zoo.

Consider the Residence Inn in old town Alexandria. Great spot near a Whole Foods and the metro.

SkyBlueWaters

Reaction score
I was at the Residence Inn four-five blocks away from the Mayflower to do my laundry as suggested by one of the tug members. It's not terribly far from everything tourist related if your children don't mind walking. Just a warning. It's nothing like the Mayflower or anything MVCI property. I, personally, would not stay there.

Mine were whining from the long walks (which my husband and I enjoyed). Or you could spend some dollars for the trolley for the 2 day special if they still offer that when you're there. Kids are half off.

I enjoyed the Metro until a homeless person screamed at me for not giving her money...everyone kept telling me to be careful in DC with the children and how it's not safe. :shrug:

P.S. I used to live at the Residence Inn at Bethesda, MD. Much better value for MR points (cheaper), bigger rooms and better environment. Metro stop is next block.

Last edited:

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Wow i was just at the Mayflower and tried to go use the laundry room to wash at the RI a few blocks away. I was told no bueno. When i asked for the location of the laundry room i was asked if i was a guest. Told them i was staying at the mayflower and was told i was not allowed to use the laundry facilities even though i was staying at a marriott property down the road. I believe marriott does not own this facility and it is independently owned and is licensing the RI brand. The lady at the counter was very stern in telling me the laundry was for their guests only. Explained that i was staying at a sister property and she told me it didn't matter as they were not marriott.
Glad you got to use it. I just took it to a laundrymat 2 metro stops away and dropped it off and picked it up that day. It was $15 for up to 16lbs of laundry or $8 for 8lbs minimum tax included. They also had washer and dryers if you wanted to do it yourself. I figured for the price difference we will use our time to see more of DC instead of spending a 2-3 hours doing laundry.

SkyBlueWaters

Reaction score
The washer and dryer were old, and I wouldn't recommend it. Truthfully, I don't think I was supposed to use it either, but lugging my luggage around, I looked legit and simply asked one of the staff to let me in the laundry room. I was careful not to let the front desk know I'm not a guest or announce my presence. I was a bit nervous but having arrived at the place and realizing that they might say no, I had to commit. We are not used to not having free laundry having been vacationing in timeshares for quite some time now. My family needed clean clothes pronto, so I couldn't have Mayflower do it either. They will take your clothes for laundry and dry cleaning, just don't know how long the turn around is.

One of the residents actually told me it's better to go down the road by a new mall, where you can park and it's only a dollar or something to run the wash. It took a loooong time to wash and dry at the RI.

jonmaiman

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed at the RI Foggy Bottom last summer (family of 3). We had a one bedroom suite with two queen beds which is great for a family. It is near a metro stop and in a nice neighbor area (GWU). I highly recommend it.

--Jon

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We stayed at the RI Foggy Bottom last summer (family of 3). We had a one bedroom suite with two queen beds which is great for a family. It is near a metro stop and in a nice neighbor area (GWU). I highly recommend it.

--Jon

Thanks Jon,

What was the suite configuration? Were the rooms separated with a door?

How close to the major sights was it?

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I was at the Residence Inn four-five blocks away from the Mayflower to do my laundry as suggested by one of the tug members. It's not terribly far from everything tourist related if your children don't mind walking. Just a warning. It's nothing like the Mayflower or anything MVCI property. I, personally, would not stay there.

Mine were whining from the long walks (which my husband and I enjoyed). Or you could spend some dollars for the trolley for the 2 day special if they still offer that when you're there. Kids are half off.

I enjoyed the Metro until a homeless person screamed at me for not giving her money...everyone kept telling me to be careful in DC with the children and how it's not safe. :shrug:

P.S. I used to live at the Residence Inn at Bethesda, MD. Much better value for MR points (cheaper), bigger rooms and better environment. Metro stop is next block.

Thanks.

Yes, my kids don't like walking either, even more so in August heat. I'll have a look at the Bethesda RI.

jonmaiman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Jon,

What was the suite configuration? Were the rooms separated with a door?

How close to the major sights was it?

Bedroom was separated from the living area by a door. Living area had a couch and a full kitchen. We didn’t cook in the room, but you could easily do so if desired. Approx. 5 minute walk to metro. 3 to 4 metro stops to most of the major attractions (e.g. < 15 minutes ride). Much closer to the DC Sites than RI Bethesda. There are nice restaurants, a Whole Foods, drug stores and pretty much anything you could need all within easy walking distance of the RI Foggy Bottom.

I have also stayed at RI Bethesda a long time ago. It is also a good property in a nice neighborhood. I don't remember the available suite configurations for that property. All RI's have one bedroom suites with a separate living area available. Bedrooms with two queen beds is less common. Anyway the big negative for RI Bethesda for visiting DC is that it is a much longer ride on the metro to the DC sites. We stayed there for a family event in Bethesda and it was great property for that purpose.

For us, the two queen beds in a bedroom separated by a door from the living area is great. It allows us to keep different hours than our 9 year old daughter. Only thing better would be a 2 bedroom suite, but I couldn’t pull that off on MR points for an award stay. RI Breakfast is nice and they do have light dinner/snacks in the evening a few days a week (including complimentary beer and wine at RI Foggy Bottom, don’t know about alcohol at RI Bethesda). We only partook of the evening offering once (dessert night). We were touring most of the time and not at the property during the dinner hour.

--Jon

Last edited:

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Look at the ones in Virginia too. Any RI that is near a metro would be a good choice in either Maryland or Virginia. Just read Tripadvisor and look at google maps. It shows the metro stops if I remember correctly.

Thanks.

Yes, my kids don't like walking either, even more so in August heat. I'll have a look at the Bethesda RI.

enma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last summer I stayed at RI Arlington Pentagon City. Had a big room with 2 queen beds and a sleeper sofa. Fairly close to metro station (very walkable) but they provide free shuttle there as well as to Reagan airport. Free breakfast is a plus. I'll be staying there again in May.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bedroom was separated from the living area by a door. Living area had a couch and a full kitchen. We didn’t cook in the room, but you could easily do so if desired. Approx. 5 minute walk to metro. 3 to 4 metro stops to most of the major attractions (e.g. < 15 minutes ride). Much closer to the DC Sites than RI Bethesda. There are nice restaurants, a Whole Foods, drug stores and pretty much anything you could need all within easy walking distance of the RI Foggy Bottom.

I have also stayed at RI Bethesda a long time ago. It is also a good property in a nice neighborhood. I don't remember the available suite configurations for that property. All RI's have one bedroom suites with a separate living area available. Bedrooms with two queen beds is less common. Anyway the big negative for RI Bethesda for visiting DC is that it is a much longer ride on the metro to the DC sites. We stayed there for a family event in Bethesda and it was great property for that purpose.

For us, the two queen beds in a bedroom separated by a door from the living area is great. It allows us to keep different hours than our 9 year old daughter. Only thing better would be a 2 bedroom suite, but I couldn’t pull that off on MR points for an award stay. RI Breakfast is nice and they do have light dinner/snacks in the evening a few days a week (including complimentary beer and wine at RI Foggy Bottom, don’t know about alcohol at RI Bethesda). We only partook of the evening offering once (dessert night). We were touring most of the time and not at the property during the dinner hour.

--Jon

Thank you Jon.

Unfortunately we've just tried to book the RI Foggy Bottom but they've sold out on the dates we need. We have managed to secure two interconnecting rooms at the Mayflower (Autograph hotel not MVCI) which does look a very nice hotel.

SkyBlueWaters

Reaction score
Great choice. Love that location, and there will be plenty of food for the kids at the lounge. You don't need a kitchen.