• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 31 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 31st Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best Strategy buying HGVC?

FilthyForever

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Anderson Ocean Club, HGVC On The Boulevard
The best way to not have left over points is to always be borrowing. We are booking 2024 right now with 2025 points.
I completely agree. I also borrow every other year and never save/rescue to avoid the fee. I just do it in a way that is perfectly divisible :]

FilthyForever

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
As someone newly interested in all of this and working out how to maximize the system, I really appreciate this thread a lot. Also, I wish so much that points didn't expire; vacations shouldn't need so much strategy!
It also motivates you to plan ahead for vacations and take vacations regularly. I thoroughly enjoy the planning process and optimizing the math problem (if you all couldn't tell ha).

rc51

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kings Land
optimizing the math problem
That's exactly it right there; regarding strategies it has jumped out that you basically want the whole-number-per-night-divisible point totals so as to not leave anything on the table. Sounds awesome, but now I'm seeing some different (close, but different) values of points that add some additional complication to the plan. Places like Kings Land, Trump Vegas, and New York will have, for example, points of 11,520 for some kind of 1BR, but other places have 11,200 for the 2 bed. SO close in terms of flexibility for intermixing things.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
It also motivates you to plan ahead for vacations and take vacations regularly. I thoroughly enjoy the planning process and optimizing the math problem (if you all couldn't tell ha).

This! We all discuss where we are going a year before so we can book right at 9 months! We never took yearly vacations until we started our membership. Maximizing the seasons and days of the week is fun and getting as much out of our points as we can is fun for me.

Also, looking forward to the vacation helps me stay sane during the rough parts of the year.

HuskerATL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at Boulevard and Craigendarroch Lodges
I completely agree. I also borrow every other year and never save/rescue to avoid the fee. I just do it in a way that is perfectly divisible :]
The other method is to be elite premier and then it is free to save, convert, book, etc.

rc51

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kings Land
The other method is to be elite premier and then it is free to save, convert, book, etc.
Are these pre-Max statuses or post-Max statuses? I gather that Max has added it's own, but I haven't yet learned to differentiate between them. For me, I don't know that it will ever matter as I don't see myself working toward a status, but the more you know...

HuskerATL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Are these pre-Max statuses or post-Max statuses? I gather that Max has added it's own, but I haven't yet learned to differentiate between them. For me, I don't know that it will ever matter as I don't see myself working toward a status, but the more you know...
Elite Premier is part of the non-Max HGVC Legacy Elite program so either folks who were in HGVC before Max and have chose not to join it or new folks who only buy resale. They are classified by HGV as Legacy members. Legacy member that then join Max are HGV Max Legacy members, and new folks who buy retail are automatically in Max and labeled as HGV Max members.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard

Honestly, my humble opinion is that the best deal is Vegas at The Boulevard or Paradise. They have some of the lowest standard MF's in the system. There are some that are lower, but either they cost more upfront (Hawaii with a large point total) or fluctuate with the US Dollar vs Sterling Pound (Scotland). While I would have no problem purchasing at Craigendarroch, the purchase with the least amount of hassle is an HGVC developed resort. The Boulevard, Paradise, The Flamingo and the HGVC Elara deeds all fit that bill. They are generally on the cheaper side to buy upfront (Flamingo being the cheapest and The Boulevard being the most expensive) and still have a great MF to point ratio (Boulevard being the cheapest and Flamingo being the most expensive). Being in the dry climate of Vegas, the upkeep is much less than other places and the property taxes are almost nothing. The real estate tax on my Boulevard and Flamingo 2 bedroom platinum deeds for 2023 were $38 and $47. Just for reference, a 2 bedroom at Sea World (same size and points as mine) has taxes of $240 for 2023.

rc51

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kings Land
Honestly, my humble opinion is that the best deal is Vegas at The Boulevard or Paradise. They have some of the lowest standard MF's in the system. There are some that are lower, but either they cost more upfront (Hawaii with a large point total) or fluctuate with the US Dollar vs Sterling Pound (Scotland). While I would have no problem purchasing at Craigendarroch, the purchase with the least amount of hassle is an HGVC developed resort. The Boulevard, Paradise, The Flamingo and the HGVC Elara deeds all fit that bill. They are generally on the cheaper side to buy upfront (Flamingo being the cheapest and The Boulevard being the most expensive) and still have a great MF to point ratio (Boulevard being the cheapest and Flamingo being the most expensive). Being in the dry climate of Vegas, the upkeep is much less than other places and the property taxes are almost nothing. The real estate tax on my Boulevard and Flamingo 2 bedroom platinum deeds for 2023 were $38 and $47. Just for reference, a 2 bedroom at Sea World (same size and points as mine) has taxes of $240 for 2023.
You've kind of hit on my point with respect to strategy: as far as I can tell the Vegas properties you've listed are kidna the bees knees for MF to points maximization. For example, you end up with 7680 points for a 1 bed platinum at a pretty decent MF price. But the New York, Trump, and Kingsland (phase 1/3(?)) properties have this weird 'premium' tier that sites at 11,520 points for a 1 bedroom, which doesn't really divide all that nicely with the other options out there. Yes, you can do 7680 at Kingsland in platinum season for a 1 bed, but you'll be having your coffee next to the parking lot (this is the thing I bought and rescinded a week or so ago). Strategy-wise, it's hard to figure out a plan for points that doesn't leave extra points on the table once you start looking at exchanging into other properties if you are at 11,520. I'm still trying to figure that part out, and I don't know how borrowing works when it's every other year.

FilthyForever

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You've kind of hit on my point with respect to strategy: as far as I can tell the Vegas properties you've listed are kidna the bees knees for MF to points maximization. For example, you end up with 7680 points for a 1 bed platinum at a pretty decent MF price. But the New York, Trump, and Kingsland (phase 1/3(?)) properties have this weird 'premium' tier that sites at 11,520 points for a 1 bedroom, which doesn't really divide all that nicely with the other options out there. Yes, you can do 7680 at Kingsland in platinum season for a 1 bed, but you'll be having your coffee next to the parking lot (this is the thing I bought and rescinded a week or so ago). Strategy-wise, it's hard to figure out a plan for points that doesn't leave extra points on the table once you start looking at exchanging into other properties if you are at 11,520. I'm still trying to figure that part out, and I don't know how borrowing works when it's every other year.
The "Kingsland issue" you've brought up a couple of times is annoying but not as much of a deal breaker as you might think.

I own at Boulevard and stay in a combination of Bay Club and Kingsland each year. Bay Club is a "classic" property with the same point structure as Boulevard so it perfectly swaps with no wasted points. You can do the same in Kingsland in the Phase 2 style units (which myself and a lot of regulars on this forum prefer because of the layout and walkout lawns). The standard (first floor) 2-bedroom phase 2 units are the sweet spot in Kingsland for value to points. And if you do prefer a 1-bedroom, the ones in the Bay Club are much spacious (825+ sq ft) with oversized lanais (325+ sq ft). I'd definitely take that over the 600 sq ft parking lot phase 2 ones in Kingsland.

This same sort of thing exists in Waikiki with Lagoon Tower vs Grand Waikikian/Grand Islander.

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
and I don't know how borrowing works when it's every other year.
If you own every even year, you won't be able to borrow from the old year (because you don't have any points to borrow). Personally, I don't like every other year contracts because of that reason. Now, if you have several deeds, then it doesn't matter.

BingoBangoBongo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Elara, Kings Land, Valdoro Mountain, the District
It seems like you’re overthinking having extra points. If for some reason you end up with 400 points at the end of any year that would be about $40 left on the table. To your EOY question, while three of the four deeds I own are EOY’s, I wouldn‘t recommend that be your only deed, unless it’s a sizable one (15,000 points+). To me a great combo involves at least an 11,000 point EY deed and maybe supplement it with an EOY deed.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
If you always borrow and stay ahead you should never have to worry about leftover points, or pay a Save fee.

I preferred to own one large point contract, should be easy to sell when the time comes.

yodaDaenerys

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Orlando
HGV Max
Yeah I almost never do full week trips. Usually do Sunday to Friday if I can help it. Saves a ton of points (and crowds) avoiding weekend stays. And five days is usually plenty for CONUS trips. We can always go back!
what's CONUS?

HuskerATL

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Contiguous US (lower 48) so just the mainland not places like Hawaii or Alaska

Last edited:

rc51

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kings Land
Also strategy related; our sales guy mentioned that you could "buy" points at some rate that I don't recall if you were short on points. I haven't really seen this mentioned yet. Is this a total fiction or is it actually true?

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: W. 57th, Vegas Strip
DVC: Boardwalk Villas, Beach Club villas
Definitely this. We're in the midst of something like 10 trips in 2 months (a couple are driving). Just retired and the floodgates opened,

I'm the mathematician for travel. Optimal times for buying plane tickets. maximization of impact of the flights on our FF status. Optimization of paid and points hotel stays for status as well. Book HGVC at 276 days, DVC at 11 months.

The actual point ratios don't matter to me (although optimization with weekdays does). But given my OCD nature with the rest of the game, I totally get this.

I have spreadsheets with complex formulae for FF and DVC point usage tracking. Multi-line equations and such. Love the game.

Cheers.

BingoBangoBongo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Elara, Kings Land, Valdoro Mountain, the District
Also strategy related; our sales guy mentioned that you could "buy" points at some rate that I don't recall if you were short on points. I haven't really seen this mentioned yet. Is this a total fiction or is it actually true?

Fiction.

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
our sales guy mentioned that you could "buy" points at some rate that I don't recall if you were short on points. I haven't really seen this mentioned yet. Is this a total fiction or is it actually true?
It was on the HGVMax tier levels initially (prior to implementation) but I don't see it on the current implemented program. The cost to purchase points was astronomical.

drucifer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Enclave
I generally agree with this, but did recently buy a Gold. The price was so low that it would be about 20 years before the MF differential caught up with the likely price difference to a Platinum (of course, a more detailed search can get some good Platinum pricing). But Gold can be worth it in some cases. I'd not suggest going lower, though.

Cheers.
I have to agree. My wife and daughter want to go to W57 in NYC for a week every summer (gold season). If that's the pattern of usage, then a gold 1BR+ or 1BR PH deed is about $20k less than the same in Platinum. For the point differential, making up those costs by a better points/MF ratio would take forever.

Alwaystravelling

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui ocean club, Marriott shadow ridge, Westin Kaanapali villas, Hyatt San Antonio, Williamsburg Plantation, Ocean Landings
This forum is great. We've successfully purchased into (resale) Hyatt, Westin and Marriott and very happy with everything we have. I'm intrigued by the Waikiki properties and the Big Island. Don't see myself going elsewhere. If I bought 50,000 HGVC points do I have any realistic expectation of being able to use those points to get prime Hawaii weeks or is it a pipe dream?

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
This forum is great. We've successfully purchased into (resale) Hyatt, Westin and Marriott and very happy with everything we have. I'm intrigued by the Waikiki properties and the Big Island. Don't see myself going elsewhere. If I bought 50,000 HGVC points do I have any realistic expectation of being able to use those points to get prime Hawaii weeks or is it a pipe dream?
It's not a pipe dream as long as you are willing to book as soon as allowed, 276 days before check out. 50k points is a huge amount to buy in at. Waikoloa is easy to get, some of the lower point units in Waikiki have greater demand.

You have to remember, Tug members are a very small percentage of the owners, and we know and use all the optimal strategies. Some owners try to treat it like hotel booking at 6 months or less.

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Lagoon, W57th, MarBrisa, Paradise
I have to agree. My wife and daughter want to go to W57 in NYC for a week every summer (gold season). If that's the pattern of usage, then a gold 1BR+ or 1BR PH deed is about $20k less than the same in Platinum. For the point differential, making up those costs by a better points/MF ratio would take forever.
but a STP Plat is cheaper still, has lower MFs, and still gives you more than a week per year in a 1 BR in gold season (albeit not a plus or penthouse unit).