• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best section at Massanutten?

JMNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview Las Vegas
Once more I come to the well of knowledge to learn as much as I can before jumping in. I'm looking for insights at to the best places in Massanutten. From what I can see, Regal Vistas is the top of the line, but I haven't seen much for sale that woukd work for me there. Aside from RV, what are the next best sections to own at the Massanutten resort? I see a TON of Woodstone, Eagles Trace, and Summit units, but am not sure which are better. Thanks!

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Better in terms of a place you would like to stay at, a place you could rent out or one that would exchange the best in rci (most points or tpu's) Are you just looking for a stay at Massanutten or are you looking on buying a unit?

JMNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview Las Vegas
Better in terms of a place you would like to stay at, a place you could rent out or one that would exchange the best in rci (most points or tpu's) Are you just looking for a stay at Massanutten or are you looking on buying a unit?
Looking at buying a unit. The kids like the idea of having someplace to go that has stuff to do year round. So I'm looking for which sections are the best to stay for a family. I guess, the most recently updated and nicest accommodations and near the activities that they'll want to do. I personally still like the idea of picking up a VV Williamsburg or The Colonies unit, but these will be their vacations too, so I have to listen to their wants also lol.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
If you get a good trader and don't mind paying some fees, the right VV purchase would be good at letting everyone experience more of what they want every once in a while.

Prime summer weeks at Regal Vistas (#1) or Woodstone (#2) is where I would go in Massanutten for purchasing something. These are the top two Gold Crown at Massanutten in relation to your question.

If you want a trader ... I would go with the two options above AND make sure they are enrolled in RCI Points (can be a bit hard to find). If you want a "weeks" trader you will get more value from prime summer Colonies or VV units in Williamsburg versus buying at Massanutten.

The kids will get older and while I am a 47-year-old that enjoys Massanutten, the kids aging out of it would not surprise me.

Looking at buying a unit. The kids like the idea of having someplace to go that has stuff to do year round. So I'm looking for which sections are the best to stay for a family. I guess, the most recently updated and nicest accommodations and near the activities that they'll want to do. I personally still like the idea of picking up a VV Williamsburg or The Colonies unit, but these will be their vacations too, so I have to listen to their wants also lol.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
my kids aged out of more than a weekend at massanutten. I have a niece and nephew at 10 and 14 who are still loving it.

For a weeks trader I would get an every other year 4BR Summit, and expect to pay the MF's early to reserve the best weeks, and you would likely get an additional travel boost deposit that could be combined yearly. The other option would be summer Colonies or VV Williamsburg. There are 2 types of EOY 4 BR summit units, one where you get 1/2 unit every year and the other where you get the whole unit every other year. You have to decide which you want and then make sure the one you are buying is already set up that way. You can't change it if it is set up the other way. I think the 1/2 unit every year has an additional $25 fee per year added to MF's. In both cases you pay 1/2 MF every year.

If you want rci points you want a prime Regal Vistas or Woodstone.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
For a weeks trader I would get an every other year 4BR Summit, and expect to pay the MF's early to reserve the best weeks, and you would likely get an additional travel boost deposit that could be combined yearly. The other option would be summer Colonies or VV Williamsburg.

You can certainly pick up Summit cheaper. Most I see are "float" weeks. You may get one for free or less with someone paying transfer costs. Difficulty of getting out of one of these units is the main reason I do not own one.

I prefer staying at Summit over Woodstone.

Last edited:
Reactions: jc3

JMNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview Las Vegas
If you get a good trader and don't mind paying some fees, the right VV purchase would be good at letting everyone experience more of what they want every once in a while.

Prime summer weeks at Regal Vistas (#1) or Woodstone (#2) is where I would go in Massanutten for purchasing something. These are the top two Gold Crown at Massanutten in relation to your question.

If you want a trader ... I would go with the two options above AND make sure they are enrolled in RCI Points (can be a bit hard to find). If you want a "weeks" trader you will get more value from prime summer Colonies or VV units in Williamsburg versus buying at Massanutten.

The kids will get older and while I am a 47-year-old that enjoys Massanutten, the kids aging out of it would not surprise me.
Thanks. I picked up a points contract at Grandview for a one bedroom for free that I'm just waiting on the transfer to be done, so I would prefer a unit at Massanutten or one of the Williamsburg properties that are either already in points or that I could do a points for deposit on. I'm thinking that would be the best way to get the most flexibility and best bang for my buck. I know The Colonies can be found as points, but do they sell VV Williamsburg as points or no?

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you want to own something at Massanutten that you could either use or PFD, that would be an argument to go with Summit. But if you want to trade into other VV properties, I would go with putting it in RCI Weeks where you get a $160 exchange fee.

Thanks. I picked up a points contract at Grandview for a one bedroom for free that I'm just waiting on the transfer to be done, so I would prefer a unit at Massanutten or one of the Williamsburg properties that are either already in points or that I could do a points for deposit on. I'm thinking that would be the best way to get the most flexibility and best bang for my buck. I know The Colonies can be found as points, but do they sell VV Williamsburg as points or no?

JMNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview Las Vegas
If you want to own something at Massanutten that you could either use or PFD, that would be an argument to go with Summit. But if you want to trade into other VV properties, I would go with putting it in RCI Weeks where you get a $160 exchange fee.
Are the units at the Summit nice? I know they're 4 bed lock offs, but it seems some of the reviews are not all that flattering regarding the upkeep of the units there, but some of those reviews do seem to be a couple of years old, so I'm wondering if they've been doing any updating since. I have to take my son down to VA next month for a college visit, so I'm thinking of stopping at Massanutten on the way through to check it out real quick.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If they are not all newly refurbished, they have to be close to finishing. They are pretty similar to the Woodstone luxury units in appearance. To me in the winter, being on the mountain is a plus.

TUG Thread on the Refurbishment:
https://tugbbs.com/forums/threads/complete-refurbishment-of-the-summit-at-massanutten.278314/

Are the units at the Summit nice? I know they're 4 bed lock offs, but it seems some of the reviews are not all that flattering regarding the upkeep of the units there, but some of those reviews do seem to be a couple of years old, so I'm wondering if they've been doing any updating since. I have to take my son down to VA next month for a college visit, so I'm thinking of stopping at Massanutten on the way through to check it out real quick.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Some people love summit. Woodstone is like staying on a golf course (even when you aren't on the course) and Summit is on the mountain and more wooded. Summit can be more challenging for those with mobility problems. Not just because of the stairs (woodstone has some of those too) but because the streets aren't always level too. I like the refurbed Summit units. One thing I prefer about Woodstone is the greater abundance of grills outside especially in the areas near the Luxury units. With Summit, you don't get a grill if you have the full kitchen (unless you have the full 4 BR).

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I will also add one resource to avoid in determining the best section at Massanutten. While I usually like how RCI uses TripAdvisor ratings, it is screwed up for Massanutten. Woodstone is combined in with several lesser sections. If my Woodstone trading value was not locked in from points enrollment, I would be upset how they list it diminishes my trading value.

See below as an example of what I consider misleading:

1641588621785.png

Woodstone is "Gold Crown" and "Shenandoah Villas" does not earn any designation. Yet it is the same resort as far as TripAdvisor ratings go. Great Eastern was smart enough to fix this for Regal Vistas, so it does not get pulled down by the lesser sections.

JMNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grandview Las Vegas
Thanks guys, you've been really helpful. I am so happy I've found Tug and have been able to ask all of my dumb questions so I can make the best choice for us.

jc3

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am with @escanoe, I prefer being up on the mountain with the views. IMHO they did an amazing job with the Summit refurbs, we were there last year and I was very impressed. I'm staying in Woodstone this year because I wanted Friday to Friday stays but I'm already sad that I won't have the mountain views I'm used to.
I also own a floating week at Eagle Trace which I bought 20 years ago (I definitely do not recommend Eagle Trace today). I got it for free (at the time Summit and others cost $$) solely for gold cards for my family. We lived in northern VA at the time, and I always have a bazillion hotel points, so we would frequently stay in a hotel in Harrisonburg at night but spend the days at Massanutten using the facilities. Ultimately my son ended up attending James Madison, where he was able to use the gold card for his time there, so we have gotten great value from our gold cards.
What I normally do is get two weeks every Jan/Feb using Armed Forces Vacation Club...which is a great deal on space available condos. I start looking at Massanutten 6 months ahead for the unit and times and BRs that best meet my needs. Summit is at this point my #1 pick. Then in the fall we do a trek up and do our Eagle Trace week.