• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best Rental Car Co on Maui

nygiants11991

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have always in the past rented from Hertz. I am having some problems witht my reservation for January. If I they don't honor my original confirmation I may have to make another reservation. And at this late date it is quite expesnive with Hertz. What I am looking for is personal experiences with other rental car companies on Maui?

TIA

philemer

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Schooner; Dikhololo, S.A.; Club Wyndham; Worldmark.
Are you talking about national co. like Alamo, Avis, National, etc or companies that only rent in Maui? My renting experience has been the same on Maui as it has been anywhere. Renting is renting. Sometimes you have good experiences and sometimes not. I'd try hotwire.com and priceline.com for last minute rentals. When are you renting?

nygiants11991

TUG Member
Reaction score
Phil

I am talking about on Maui. I am sure you are right there are going to be horror stories with all of them I am sure, but what company took care of their customers in a timely manner? I understand there can be problems, but I don't want to spend hours of my time on Maui dealing with a car rental company. I want to spend it sipping Mai Tai's on the beach.

We are going in January 09

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I tend to be a cheapskate when renting cars, and consistently rent from Alamo in Maui who has the best pricing when booked through Costco with a suffient lead time.

Some here have had bad experiences with Alamo on Maui but generally I have not. If I have a complaint with them it's there cars typically aren't as clean in Maui as they could be and they hold onto their fleet a bit longer than others. In Maui its as if they ran them through the car wash but didn't spend much time detailing them once they come out as others do. I usually book through Costco because they include a second driver for no extra cost and usually have the best price. Nationwide this year I've rented from Alamo, Budget, Dollar and in about a week, Avis.

Phil is correct that Priceline and Hotwire are your best bet for last minute rentals.

Icarus

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have always in the past rented from Hertz. I am having some problems witht my reservation for January. If I they don't honor my original confirmation I may have to make another reservation. And at this late date it is quite expesnive with Hertz. What I am looking for is personal experiences with other rental car companies on Maui?

TIA

Did you try hotwire?

A rental car is a rental car, once you give up using your #1 Club Gold thing, which doesn't really make a huge difference on Maui anyway.

-David

pcgirl54

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
We rented a Jeep and splurged as I normally book other cars. I also am Hertz Gold but for this trip playing with all coupon codes (II,Hertz.AAA,RCI,Marriott)and varying agencies Dollar was the lowest and there were no hassles.

When we noticed Day 2 that the Jeep had a frozen zipper issue we went to the other Dollar site near Ka'anapali so they could write it down and enter it in the computer. We also take pics of cars before we drive it away as we had a major issue with Enterprise that was not our fault.

Also try.......

www.rentalcarmomma.com

Lawlar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Dollar

I've rented from all of them over the years. They were all good. But I keep going back to Dollar. I've had good experiences with them.

JoeWilly

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've used Alamo via Costco on Maui and it was fine. No problems.

Werner

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Budget doesn't charge for a second driver, if that matters. Thrifty does.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
We always go with the cheapest mid-size, which is usually, but not always, Alamo, and we've never had a problem with any of our Hawaii rentals.

erm

TUG Member
Reaction score
I went to the Alamo site yesterday and found that they are having a special on Hawaii rentals. I booked a standard size convertible (Sebring) for half the price I found on the dollar site.

baz48

TUG Member
Reaction score
I went to the Alamo site yesterday and found that they are having a special on Hawaii rentals. I booked a standard size convertible (Sebring) for half the price I found on the dollar site.

That must explain it. I booked a 16 day rental on Kauai for March with Alamo on Monday through Costco (using the free upgrade option) for $407 total for a Standard size. Today I thought I'd check again and it is now $547 for the exact same rental!! Wow, I'm glad I happened to book on Monday.

One time with Alamo on Maui we didn't notice until we were half-way to Ka'anapali that we only had 3/4 of a tank of gas. Rather than go all the way back to the airport, we stopped at the Alamo location in Ka'anapali and told them about it. They were very accommodating and made a note in our file so we wouldn't be charged for the gas when we returned it at 3/4 full.

Barbeque

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
We used Budget through Costco in August and we had a full sized car It was somewhere around $ 200 for the week.

gejone

TUG Member
Reaction score
I booked a mid-size in Sep. for our Dec. 13th arrival on Maui for $153/week with Avis. That's the cheapest deal I've had. Booked it thru Southwest.com.