• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Best Exchange Company - Good and Bad

Nolathyme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is there a thread that summarizes the different exchange companies? I am familiar with RCI and II , but would like to expand my horizons. I am looking for 3-5 highlights and low lights on each of the companies. If there isn't a thread , I'll start one.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
There are many threads about the other exchange companies, but you will have to use the search function and search for them by name - http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51125

There really is no best exchange company - it just depends on what you have to deposit, and where you want to go.

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Denise, hopefully there is no problem with there being a thread on this subject? I wouldn't mind hearing a bit of a description of pros & cons of the various exchange companies, without having to search multiple threads. Hopefully more will feel the same way!

I'll make a stab at my impressions:
II: Exchange company with the most hotel-chain TS, which translates into TS with the most hotel-like amenities (a huge plus to us). Good variety of available locales in mainland US, Hawaii, Mexico & Caribbean. Lots of opportunities for uptrades and bonus weeks, can leverage one week into two or more if savvy. Ability to book, search, request exchanges on-line. Cheap Getaways.
CONS: Poor availability in cities (New York, London), Europe, and Asia (although II does have Marriotts in Thailand). Many reps poorly trained. Glitchy computer system.

SFX: Good access to resorts in Mexico, including high end resorts, and decent
access in NYC, London & SF. Semi-cheap to cheap sell-off weeks. Frequent deposit specials with bonus weeks which may be booked up to a year in advance. Can search & book online, although most good exchanges are booked via on-going search.
CONS: Bonus weeks subject to numerous fees, making them comparable to the cost of a rental in some cases. Although SFX states they deal in only "high end" timeshares, if you search their resort directory I would say the emphasis is actually on midrange resorts (many Tripadvisor 3 star properties, Hawaii properties that are off the beach, units with no a/c, etc)- it is my strong impression that their availability of high end resorts is not as strong as
II's, Generally studios not available (except cities). Way less available weeks than II at any given time. Weak in Hawaii, East Coast, Europe (except London), Asia. Real danger if you make a high-end deposit of not getting a comparable exchange unless you are interested in a Grand Mayan resort.

RCI: I only have a passing familiarity- best range of locales, greater proportion
of low-mid range resorts than II, but still some very nice inventory (Hilton, Disney, Tradewinds). Can search & book online. Rent many weeks, sometimes in a manner which seems to be to the detriment of exchangers (??).

Independents: Often touted as THE answer for exchangers, but every time I try to look into them, I get them impression that many deal with more low-end resorts. Because they hold less inventory, there is frequently little opportunity for bonus weeks/exchanges. Sometimes exchanges may be cheaper.

Bottom line: If you own a high-end TS, your best bets are in II & RCI, maybe SFX in some circumstances. If you own a mid-range resort, II, RCI, & SFX would all provide ample opportunity for like-for-like exchanges or uptrades. If you own a low-end resort, you should be able to get a like-for-like exchange from any of the exchange companies and maybe an uptrade. Since II & RCI hold the most inventory, there is also the most opportunity. Some people here feel like the big exchange companies are the devil and they recommend the independents, but I think sometimes they may be cutting off their nose to spite their face.

I really have NO first hand experience with the smaller exchange companies or RCI. I would love to have any of my misperceptions set straight by more experienced TUGgers.

Note: When I say "high-end" timeshare, I am talking about the posh, freshly updated, super-location (on beach, ski slope, etc), with extensive amenities, great landscaping, etc. When I say "mid-range" I am talking about the traditional TS- few amenities, maybe a simple pool with plastic strap loungers, decent decor, but frequently in an excellent location and well-maintained. When I say "low end" I am talking about that same traditional TS property, but maybe dated, or with maintenance issues, or with indifferent staff, or with a less desirable location.

Cheers,
H

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
No problem at all - thanks for you input!

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation

funtime

TUG Member
Reaction score
We like II the best and when talking to some folks who solely use RCI, it is surprising what a different (and sometimes worse) experience they have with timesharing. I know a lot of folks like RCI and they are definatelys stronger in Cabo than II is. What I suggest, however, is for folks to "mix it up" if they can because it might just put a new lease to your timesharing life. I am not an SFX fan fur if you want to use SFX, we probably have 30 threads on the good, bad and ugly with respect to SFX on the board so I would do a search. Funtime

Carolinian

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have used a mix of exchange companies for years. DAE has been prominent in that mix for a while, as I have done well with them with requests and found some good stuff online from time to time. I think one independent is too llimiting, and am now also depositing with SFX. I have joined Donitas Vacations Unlimited as she was great in sourcing requests when she was at DAE and will give her my first deposit soon. I am also considering joining UKRE. Ever since they started renting exchange inventory to the general public and giving an unfair advantage to Points members for Weeks inventory, I have limited my deposits to RCI but generally kept one week on deposit there as I just did not trust them any more. RCI used to be a great exchange company, but that has definitely changed. Since Points Lite reared its ugly head, I am now cold turkey on RCI and they do not get any of my deposits. I am however expanding the number of independents I use to make up for not using RCI any more. Oh, I do still use RCI for cheap rentals.

ronandjoan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Telemark, Townhouses at St Augustine Beach and Tennis Club, Stoneridge Resort (ID)
The magazine Timesharing Today has an annual and updated extensive listing of all the exchange companies, and I would suggest going there for unbiased info.
You can also read the postings on the individual exchange companies right here on TUG. You can learn a lot, both pro and con about each one, especially when people have complained and then received answers. I myself use 6 exchange companies I would say extensively and by necessity!!!! In order to go where we need to as well as where we might like to.

We keep a chart that lists the different exchange companies and the number of weeks we have deposited in each one and most importantly, the expiration dates of the bonus weeks! The smaller companies offer great bonus opportunities.

ampaholic

TUG Member
Reaction score
The magazine Timesharing Today has an annual and updated extensive listing of all the exchange companies, and I would suggest going there for unbiased info.
You can also read the postings on the individual exchange companies right here on TUG. You can learn a lot, both pro and con about each one, especially when people have complained and then received answers. I myself use 6 exchange companies I would say extensively and by necessity!!!! In order to go where we need to as well as where we might like to.

We keep a chart that lists the different exchange companies and the number of weeks we have deposited in each one and most importantly, the expiration dates of the bonus weeks! The smaller companies offer great bonus opportunities.

And that is the definitive answer - use several.

We use 4 (RCI Points, RCI Weeks, Platinum Interchange and VRI*ety) and usually can get what we want. I'm thinking about adding II next.

We are not even close to full timers (yet?) - so I could see needing 6 or more to be able to full time.