• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Beach Chairs in HHI

mcsteve

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara - Las Vegas
Southwind, Egret Point & Waterside by Spinnaker - HHI
Vacation Village @ Weston
We sometime drive, and sometime fly to HHI. Driving always affords us with bringing many items we do without when flying, for the obvious issues of limited baggage. While I can get by with needing to purchase “all” of our food items, I struggle with the beach chairs. I like comfortable chairs on the beach and have long since given up on the cheap seats found in the Walmart and Piggly Wiggly. A couple of years ago my better half and I found a great set of beach chairs at Sam’s Club and after a great deal of use they still look and feel as new as the day we bought them.

For our trip in June this year we have decided to fly again and are trying to decide what to do about Beach chairs. The rentals are quite expensive when you think about almost daily use for two weeks. A few years ago we purchased one of those beach sails and it is fantastic for shade and so we don’t need the umbrella rental either. The DW is firmly against just buying a set of the same chairs from Sam’s Club ($80/pair) and leaving them behind when we leave.

What suggestions do you have to solve this issue? We need two beach chairs for 2 weeks in Shipyard. Are there alternatives to the on shore rentals? Is there a forum/group for trading/passing on beach chairs or such items? I tried searching Facebook but was unsuccessful (likely because I’m not good with Facebook) and the last time I posted about giving stuff away for people checking in went unanswered and the front desk staff took the items.

TIA for any and all suggestions.

Steve

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you check them individually as luggage? Not sure if you get free bags or not, but that would be one solution. There are also TUGgers that live full-time on HHI--maybe they could help out?

mcsteve

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara - Las Vegas
I have looked into the checked bag idea as DW suggested that first. I thought they couldn’t cost much to check but wow was I wrong. We are flying Delta and the rep said they would be classed as oversized and the cost Calc was based on size at about $300 each way. o_O.

The Colorado Kid

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Riverfront
Christie Lodge
Apollo Park
Grand Timber Lodge
Indian Palms
Massanutten
Park Regency
Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Marriott Surfwatch
Even tho I see DW is against buying a set of chairs and then leaving them behind...this is actually an amazing thought as you could start a Hilton Head Island TUG Beach Chair Pass Along group - also $80 per chair pair is about $6 per day which seems like a bargain.

Family_travel

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
$80 per chair pair is about $6 per day which seems like a bargain.
It sounds wasteful to buy chairs then leave, but if it's cheaper than renting then it being frugal.
Not sure if there is a Goodwill (type) near , but you could donate them on your last day to get a tax deduction (if applicable).
Funny, I was looking for chair rental in Pompano, and I did not think of this last week.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
A lot of people use TS in HHI (we're there 2X this year). Maybe start a swap thread? There's already one for Hawaii.

JerseyDeb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Access
While staying at Clearwater a few years ago I figured out it was cheaper to buy 2 chairs at Walmart instead of renting them each day at the beach. Didn't get the top of the line chairs and granted not as nice as what we have home but they did the trick for a week. On the day we were checking out I saw a family checking in and offered them to the dad. Also offered the Mom a bottle of wine we never got to drink and didn't want to lug home on the plane. They were surprised and thankful. I just told them to pay it forward when they left. LOL not the wine of course!

mcsteve

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara - Las Vegas
A lot of people use TS in HHI (we're there 2X this year). Maybe start a swap thread? There's already one for Hawaii.
I did try to post items we had left over at the Big Island a few years back but didn’t have any takers then. Maybe it was just not the right time and place.

I do like the idea of passing things along for other TUG members as I think most would do the same to keep the concept going. We don’t make our first trip to HHI till June but maybe I’ll start the thread sooner to see what reaction I get.

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
We need two beach chairs for 2 weeks in Shipyard. Are there alternatives to the on shore rentals? Is there a forum/group for trading/passing on beach chairs or such items?
I do like the idea of passing things along for other TUG members as I think most would do the same to keep the concept going. We don’t make our first trip to HHI till June but maybe I’ll start the thread sooner to see what reaction I get.

We are staying in Shipyard (Port O’Call) at least one week this summer. They have storage rental areas under their beach access area. I would be willing to help pay for a storage compartment and donate some beach items if a TUG group wants to form.

This is not usually a big deal to us as we bring the family minivan, but it is a lot of stuff to lug around.

mcsteve

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara - Las Vegas
We are staying in Shipyard (Port O’Call) at least one week this summer. They have storage rental areas under their beach access area. I would be willing to help pay for a storage compartment and donate some beach items if a TUG group wants to form.

This is not usually a big deal to us as we bring the family minivan, but it is a lot of stuff to lug around.
We stay at the Spinnaker properties (Southwind, Egret and Waterside). I use the storage rental at the Shipyard Beach Access for $10/ week but Spinnaker said they don’t have long term locker rentals. Where is the Port O’Call storage?

escanoe

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Flamingo & Anderson Ocean Club
Vacation Village: Woodstone at Massanutten and Grandview (RCI Points) & the Colonies
When we have stayed at Spinnaker Waterside, that did not come with access to Shipyard.

I have assumed Port O’Call guests also have access to the storage at the beach access, but never asked about it.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I bought this set off Amazon for our next few trips. We recently used them at Waikiki and othe Oahu beaches. Both of them fit in a checked bag. The umbrellas work well until it gets windy. They sit low to the ground but are easy to get in and out of. I plan on taking this chair set to Mexico with my fishing gear in a soon.

Bill

https://www.amazon.com/WGOS-Detacha...pY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1

legalfee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Limetree Resort STT
VRI FoxRun Lake Lure, NC
We have an owners group for our resort on Facebook and people are always posting food and drink they have leftover. One person even left a toaster oven.

Laurie

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It sounds wasteful to buy chairs then leave, but if it's cheaper than renting then it being frugal.
Not sure if there is a Goodwill (type) near , but you could donate them on your last day to get a tax deduction (if applicable).
There must be about a hundred thrift stores on HHI, supporting a variety of non-profit causes, most with convenient drive-around drop-off areas in the back. Many are church groups, and one huge one is called the Litter Box which supports Pet Rescue. It's on the north end of the island, so you could drop off on your way out of town. There's even a booklet listing them all. Google for and check hours, especially if you want a receipt.

legalfee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Limetree Resort STT
VRI FoxRun Lake Lure, NC
There must be about a hundred thrift stores on HHI, supporting a variety of non-profit causes, most with convenient drive-around drop-off areas in the back. Many are church groups, and one huge one is called the Litter Box which supports Pet Rescue. It's on the north end of the island, so you could drop off on your way out of town. There's even a booklet listing them all. Google for and check hours, especially if you want a receipt.
The Church Mouse is one my wife likes. And Off Island in Bluffton.

mcsteve

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara - Las Vegas
When we have stayed at Spinnaker Waterside, that did not come with access to Shipyard.

I have assumed Port O’Call guests also have access to the storage at the beach access, but never asked about it.
Yes, when we stayed at Waterside the Shipyard access was not included but is at the others inside Shipyard.

Last time we flew to HHI we did check some of the Thrift stores (2 I think) in Blufton and they did not have any beach chairs but maybe it was simply because we were too late and others had already Gotten there. The chairs we bought that time we simply left in the unit’s utility room hoping the next people would find them useful.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
It's all about perspective......
I think you could find two nice beach chairs for less than $80 once you arrive at Hilton Head, but whatever you spend on "your own personal chairs",
the enjoyment and convenience would be worth it.....Just consider that expenditure to be a "Unit upgrade".
Have fun, take a hat.

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Check on the cost of shipping them round trip or for just buying there and shipping home. I usually drive myself nuts about these seamingly impossible problems to solve. Usually it involves me being cheap or not. My wife doesn't understand why a couple of hundreds of dollars stands in my way, and in the scheme of things it probably shouldn't.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
That's a great resource! I wish they were open for longer, at least through the shoulder seasons (March-Columbus Day.)