• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Bay Club & Penthouse?

Sunshine Wanted

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been reading through ads (lots of ads), and I'm a bit confused (as well as a bit overwhelmed). In looking at the 2 bdrm units, some ads say penthouse/top floor. However, when you look at the ad carefully - it is still worth 7000 points (no difference between a non-top floor 2 bdrm unit). So, is it true that you can purchase a unit with a guaranteed view and/or top floor? How would one verify that? I thought you could only put in a request. As you can see - I'm still a newbie to be sure. Any help to clear up my confusion would be appreciated!
Patty

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
So, is it true that you can purchase a unit with a guaranteed view and/or top floor?
I think the only way to have the unit guaranteed is to buy a fixed week, fixed unit. You would have the same week in the same unit every year.

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hi Patty,

Yes, you can guarantee a purchase of a top floor unit. Last month, I bought two 1 BR 1.5 bath units which are "penthouse" units on the third floor (meaning no one is walking around above me). The point value of each unit is 4800.

Hope this helps.

Sunshine Wanted

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Patty,

Yes, you can guarantee a purchase of a top floor unit. Last month, I bought two 1 BR 1.5 bath units which are "penthouse" units on the third floor (meaning no one is walking around above me). The point value of each unit is 4800.

Hope this helps.

How would you go about verifying this information? I would love a penthouse unit, but would want to make sure I was really getting one.

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
How would you go about verifying this information? I would love a penthouse unit, but would want to make sure I was really getting one.

Contact The Bay Club and ask them if they can provide you with a floor plan of the resort. When you see a listing (either on eBay, TUG, Redweek, or wherever the seller is listing their unit for sale), write to the seller and ask for the unit number you'd be purchasing. Then you can match it up to the floor plan to ensure the location.

Sunshine Wanted

TUG Member
Reaction score
Contact The Bay Club and ask them if they can provide you with a floor plan of the resort. When you see a listing (either on eBay, TUG, Redweek, or wherever the seller is listing their unit for sale), write to the seller and ask for the unit number you'd be purchasing. Then you can match it up to the floor plan to ensure the location.

He did send me the floor plan; site plan; description of the unit. It looks like it is on the sides of the buildings (if that makes sense). The A floorplans are on the back of the buildings, and are the larger of the 2 bedrooms w/ bigger lanais.

Does anyone know if being on the side of the building, if you are just looking at another building, or do you have some type of view?

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Yes you will still have some partial views of the golf course. If you are going to end up in a B floor plan, I personally like building 1 because of the angle of the building, the unit that faces out over the hole on the golf course and across the road is the Hilton Waikoloa is unit 6, but unit 2 isn't bad either. So Unit 1X6 or 1X2. Where 1 is building 1, X is the floor number 1, 2 and 3 for penthouse, and 6 or 2 is for the unit number.

The penthouse units have vaulted ceilings instead of flat ceilings. If you turn your unit into HGVC points you still only get 7000 points. But if you booked BC via HGVC you could call the BC as request a penthouse unit. They do give a bit of preference of owners over RCI exchangers.

This is however one property were I would definitely try to book via RCI instead of HGVC. Reason price or points are cheaper via RCI.

You would pay 7000 for a 2 BR platinum week via HGVC, but you would only pay 4800 for the same week via RCI, plus the exchange fee. There are plently of deposits of the BC via RCI, as not all owners converted to HGVC. Saving 2200 points might be worth the exchange fee. However going via RCI it is a luck of the draw for what type of unit you get. Calling the resort and making a request is your best bet.

Last edited: