• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Banking and Borrowing StarOptions

Password is taco

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Barony Beach
SVV - Key West
Just want to make sure I understand something. When it comes to staroptions, when you bank and/or borrow, can you bank or borrow a portion of your options? For example, lets say you have 81,000 staroptions, can you use 67,100 this year and bank the 13,900 to use next year? So next year, you'd have 81,000+13,900=94,900?

Or vice versa, if you only have 67,100 this year, but want 81,000 total, can you borrow 13,900 from next year? and still have 53,200 to use next year?

Hope I'm making sense.

Thanks!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
You can bank any number of Staroptions for a flat fee of $99, each time you bank, and the deadline to do so is the last day of June of the usage year (for non-Elite owners.)

You can borrow Staroptions from the next year, but you have to pay the full maintenance fee for the deed, no matter how many you borrow.

You can only borrow to make a reservation. So let's say your timeshare is worth 148,100 Staroptions, and you need to borrow 100 for a specific reservation.

You would pay your full maintenance fee for the next year, and then call Starwood and make the reservation, and borrow the 100 Staroptions you need to make the reservation.

The remaining 148,000 Staroptions would stay in the next year.

When the actual MF bill came out, you would be responsible for any increase in the MF, over what you paid.

tklement

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you convert partial StarOptions to Starpoints? i.e. if you have 63,000 Star Options and will use 57,000 for a 6-day stay, can you convert the remaining 6,000 to Star Points? (I know it wouldn't be 6,000 Starpoints but otherwise seems like I may end up with a fraction of StarOptions to bank year after year).

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
Can you convert partial StarOptions to Starpoints? i.e. if you have 63,000 Star Options and will use 57,000 for a 6-day stay, can you convert the remaining 6,000 to Star Points? (I know it wouldn't be 6,000 Starpoints but otherwise seems like I may end up with a fraction of StarOptions to bank year after year).

No, you can only convert your entire unit -- or, in the case of lockoffs, an entire side of the lockoff -- to Starpoints.

The exception is Sheraton Flex, which allows you to convert to Starpoints in any increment.

Password is taco

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Barony Beach
SVV - Key West
No, you can only convert your entire unit -- or, in the case of lockoffs, an entire side of the lockoff -- to Starpoints.

This brings up another question. If you have a lockoff, is each individual unit worth a specific amount of staroptions? For example, if you only book one portion of your unit, would you then have some left over staroptions to use elsewhere?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Yes - with a lock-off, each side of the unit has a separate Staroption value.

Clarification on your StarPOINTS questions - resales do no have StarPOINTS - you have to buy from the developer for that.

sgtdesi

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own an EOY odd, do I have to wait until 2016 to borrow the options or can I borrow them now for use in 2016?

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I own an EOY odd, do I have to wait until 2016 to borrow the options or can I borrow them now for use in 2016?

You don't need to borrow if you intend on reserving in the same calendar as the StarOptions. For instance, I've already made a March reservation for WRORV using 2016 options.

Oops, sorry. Just read your post again and I think you're right, since you have an odd year. Others will know more...

Sent from my iPad

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score

I'm pretty sure you can only book one year ahead of your use year, so you can use your 2017 week to reserve anything it "sees" on Jan 1, 2016. It's very confusing. I own every other year (even), but Interval lets me search with units for every year.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm pretty sure you can only book one year ahead of your use year, so you can use your 2017 week to reserve anything it "sees" on Jan 1, 2016. It's very confusing. I own every other year (even), but Interval lets me search with units for every year.

Yes, but if you actually tried to do an off-year transaction, Starwood would not approve it, or they'd use the next year's usage for the deposit.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Denise, I've never tried to book an "off" year, so I'm not sure how Starwood would treat the reservation if I attempted it? I do know I can book anything I can see on Interval on Jan 1st, one year prior to my odd-year deed at SDO. On Jan 1, 2016, I can book anything between Jan 1, 2016 to Dec 31, 2019.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Let's say that you own an even year TS, and you already used the 2014 usage. If you tried to make another exchange right now, using the 2015 usage, it would not go through, because you don't have a 2015 deposit. If you tried to do it starting Jan. 1, 2015, II/Starwood would use your 2016 usage.