• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Bank account hack

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am on an account with my sister and her account was debited $9700 wire transfer to Bangkok Thailand with the notation sending money to my maid. As soon as I saw the alert I called the fraud line and my sister went to the bank. Too late, the money was wired and I can’t believe bank would send it so easily. Sister had to file a fraud notice Is supposed to get money back in five days and closed the account

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Perhaps she needs to change passwords for the online banking? Any idea on how they gained access to be able to do a wire transfer?

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
No idea but it happened when she went online to check her account

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
What kind of alert did you receive? One would think that an alert would be in advance of the money going poof.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
What kind of alert did you receive? One would think that an alert would be in advance of the money going poof.
That an amount over &400 was deducited from account. It was pending at 2:03. Tried to stop it but bank claimed it was already sent

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I do a wire transfer with Schwab it requires two (2) step verification - password and a code in a cell phone message .
Good point

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
The bank should reimbursed your account in full. The bank should report this to their fraud unit. Please file a police report asap. Please change your password and your access codes to all your accounts with this bank.

I am sorry for your loss.

emeryjre

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can wire from my bank account using online login to bank’s website. I have set up account to notify me if request made to move anything over $1.00. It sounds like someone discovered password to access account. However it was done, phishing, malware, etc.,etc, assume all your email addresses and passwords are now compromised.
Sorry for the hassle. Hopefully bank can clawback the transfer from the bank receiving the funds. If you had two step verification set up, then your SIM card was hijacked.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
When I do a wire transfer with Schwab it requires two (2) step verification - password and a code in a cell phone message .

Same here regarding wire transfers. We have this set up with everything important.

Bill

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Best to setup two step verification for account login. This may be difficult with two people having access. Not sure what bank this is, but there are usually challenge/security questions required to be answered in order to login from a different computer or IP address. So it seems strange that someone simply having account credentials would be able to gain access.

mdurette

Sighting Expert & TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
The bank should reimbursed your account in full. The bank should report this to their fraud unit. Please file a police report asap. Please change your password and your access codes to all your accounts with this bank.

I am sorry for your loss.

Personally, I would take it one step further and close out the accounts. Appears someone has the routing/transit and account number already.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just talked to her. She says mcafee called her while she was online and the curser was moving. She got hacked big time. I told her she needs to change every password on a different computer and she’s bringing in computer to geek squad in morning. She worked for a bank for forty years. It us remarkable that they didn’t verify anything with her.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Sounds like a possible Refund Scam. Is it possible that she actually initiated the wire and is too embarrassed to say it? What these refund scammers do is they pretend they need to refund you money for something. They take control of the computer by having the person install some downloaded software. There is no way they could have controlled the mouse unless she downloaded this software. They then ask the person to enter the amount to refund and they make it look like the person accidentally entered a HUGE amount of money. But it is all faked by manipulating the appearance of the amount of money on the screen that they are controlling. They scammer then says they will be in a lot of trouble if they don't get the money back and they either have the person buy gift cards or wire money. The wire and gift cards are real, the amount of money used to manipulate the person is not.

Search YouTube for Scam Baiting and you will see lots of videos about how this works and people doing fine work by preventing these scammers (mostly in India) from ripping people off. Sadly it happens all too often.

emeryjre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Let me reiterate for all you reading this forum. I can log in to my bank account via the web using a browser and initiate a wire transfer. I have other safety measures in place to prevent the type of thing that happened to OP, but if you do not believe it can be done, I recommend you check your accounts tomorrow to see what transfers can be done online. Also recommend two step verification at the least.
I feel very sorry for people to whom this occurs. Special place in hell reserved for the people that do these types of theft.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Let me reiterate for all you reading this forum. I can log in to my bank account via the web using a browser and initiate a wire transfer. I have other safety measures in place to prevent the type of thing that happened to OP, but if you do not believe it can be done, I recommend you check your accounts tomorrow to see what transfers can be done online. Also recommend two step verification at the least.
I feel very sorry for people to whom this occurs. Special place in hell reserved for the people that do these types of theft.
I am not sure anyone is denying this fact. The question is however, how did they get the login credentials? Were they the same as other logins used for other things? Banks have pretty tough security and their username and passwords aren't often on the dark web. The problem comes up when someone uses the same login credentials for their bank as they do for something like Yahoo Mail, who has been hacked countless times.

The moving of the mouse on the screen comment leads more to a refund scam than just someone having unauthorized access to the account.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a possible Refund Scam. Is it possible that she actually initiated the wire and is too embarrassed to say it? What these refund scammers do is they pretend they need to refund you money for something. They take control of the computer by having the person install some downloaded software. There is no way they could have controlled the mouse unless she downloaded this software. They then ask the person to enter the amount to refund and they make it look like the person accidentally entered a HUGE amount of money. But it is all faked by manipulating the appearance of the amount of money on the screen that they are controlling. They scammer then says they will be in a lot of trouble if they don't get the money back and they either have the person buy gift cards or wire money. The wire and gift cards are real, the amount of money used to manipulate the person is not.

Search YouTube for Scam Baiting and you will see lots of videos about how this works and people doing fine work by preventing these scammers (mostly in India) from ripping people off. Sadly it happens all too often.
No I talked to her and this didn’t happen because I questioned her carefully. She isn’t bright but she is very cautious and careful

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Definitely calling my bank and making sure two-step verification is initiated. Many years ago my email was hacked. My broker called and said he received an email from me requesting 38000 wired to a certain account. This is truly frightening

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Many times these hacking issues can become PERMANENT history by directing the Financial Institution to NOT authorize any such wire transfer activity, ever.

Go back forty years where you have to present yourself in person to do any financial transactions...... Not the best or convenient solution for many, however it usually is a safe solution, and very advisable for any customer who may be experiencing memory issues.

Keep the bank activities off the "net" and these potential problems disappear! Could be easier said than done.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
I just talked to her. She says mcafee called her while she was online and the curser was moving. She got hacked big time. I told her she needs to change every password on a different computer and she’s bringing in computer to geek squad in morning. She worked for a bank for forty years. It us remarkable that they didn’t verify anything with her.
McAfee called her? Then what did she do?

rboesl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
Before I retired I worked for a major international bank. I helped design and implement wire transfers across country borders and to exchange currencies. I will agree the OP should implement 2 factor authentication for their account. But, the bank has some culpability here as well. There's a series of checks that need to be passed before the transfer is allowed to be executed. One of those checks includes profiling the customer's "typical" account activity. Based upon the OP's description this type of activity would be outside their typical account activity. The OP should have been contacted by the bank to verify the transaction was initiated by them before processing.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Personally, I would take it one step further and close out the accounts. Appears someone has the routing/transit and account number already.
Anyone you write a check to has your routing and account number. This is meaningless to the situation here.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I don’t think McAfee calls people, that sounds like the scammer taking over her computer. Similar scams claim to be Microsoft or Apple, etc. My brother in law almost got taken like this, luckily my sister came in the room in time and turned off the computer. I had to assist removing the malware they had him install.

I am most wary of my retirement savings, Fidelity has an automatic 30 day lock if the disbursement account is changed, and the send mail to verify.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Before I retired I worked for a major international bank. I helped design and implement wire transfers across country borders and to exchange currencies. I will agree the OP should implement 2 factor authentication for their account. But, the bank has some culpability here as well. There's a series of checks that need to be passed before the transfer is allowed to be executed. One of those checks includes profiling the customer's "typical" account activity. Based upon the OP's description this type of activity would be outside their typical account activity. The OP should have been contacted by the bank to verify the transaction was initiated by them before processing.
Yes this checking account was used only for her Florida home expenses. Auto pay for hoa fees, electric, and insurance, and occasional repair bills.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
I don’t think McAfee calls people, that sounds like the scammer taking over her computer. Similar scams claim to be Microsoft or Apple, etc. My brother in law almost got taken like this, luckily my sister came in the room in time and turned off the computer. I had to assist removing the malware they had him install.

I am most wary of my retirement savings, Fidelity has an automatic 30 day lock if the disbursement account is changed, and the send mail to verify.
I agree, lots of facts missing as to what actually happened. Scammers don't magically get your credentials necessary to initiate a wire transfer. Never heard of McAfee calling, and what they said is undisclosed by OP.