• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Bah humbug!!

tmoscola

TUG Member
Reaction score
Recently found out that we are unable to use our reserved August week at OceanWatch. :bawl: :bawl:
Just got off the phone with Marriott and now we can only get an April week during my gold season. I am so sad at the thought of missing our Myrtle Beach week next year. I guess I am off to Red Week to see if we can rent it out.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
You won't be the first person to rent out their week and then take the money to rent out what they can use instead of trading or booking a less week.

Good luck --- you might enjoy a locale which is not timeshare related. ;)

Last edited:

puckmanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
good afternoon...

Why not try a request first trade with II. You might get a nice trade for a primo Summer week at OW... No harm if you don't as it is "request first"...

just sayin'

Life gave you a lemon,make some lemonade!!!!

tmoscola

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I really didn't even think about putting in a request through II. I will do that tonight when I get home. II has been sending me mail about bonus weeks for my unit but I am not sure how that all works out and if it worth the money. Still mad at my brother in law for ruining my annual voyage to Myrtle. Of all weekends to plan a wedding in California. Lol!! Although as the previous poster indicated, I need to just make the best of it.

gottspd

Reaction score
Recently found out that we are unable to use our reserved August week at OceanWatch. :bawl: :bawl:
Just got off the phone with Marriott and now we can only get an April week during my gold season. I am so sad at the thought of missing our Myrtle Beach week next year. I guess I am off to Red Week to see if we can rent it out.

I have a grande ocean week for the week of the 19th to 26th (of August). Which week do you have at OW?

tmoscola

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a grande ocean week for the week of the 19th to 26th (of August). Which week do you have at OW?

Lol!!! Thanks but that is the same week we have at OW. We need to be in California for a wedding on the 25th. My husband is the best man too so we will probably need to fly out a few days earlier. We have been to Grande Ocean though and we def go back for the right week.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Since you're going to be in California anyway, why don't you consider posting an ad on Tug for a direct exchange and possibly go to Hawaii or NCV since you'll be on the West coast already- just a thought.

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Like m61376 suggested, why not try for a direct exchange the same time you're trying with II? I have looked for owners through rental ads on redweek and TUG and emailed them asking if they'd rather do a direct exchange with their week. There is also the website ownertrades: http://www.ownertrades.com/

If your work schedule prohibits Myrtle Beach in April the offer through Owner Services doesn't help much. However, if you can go during that time, April is one of my favorite times for South Carolina. We begin our winter break to Florida in Feb. and then follow Spring back to Michigan by stopping on Hilton Head and then Myrtle Beach in April. It's perfect for us.

Hope you find a good solution so you can really enjoy that wedding :)

tmoscola

TUG Member
Reaction score
Like m61376 suggested, why not try for a direct exchange the same time you're trying with II? I have looked for owners through rental ads on redweek and TUG and emailed them asking if they'd rather do a direct exchange with their week. There is also the website ownertrades: http://www.ownertrades.com/

If your work schedule prohibits Myrtle Beach in April the offer through Owner Services doesn't help much. However, if you can go during that time, April is one of my favorite times for South Carolina. We begin our winter break to Florida in Feb. and then follow Spring back to Michigan by stopping on Hilton Head and then Myrtle Beach in April. It's perfect for us.

Hope you find a good solution so you can really enjoy that wedding :)

Thanks! I have contacted a few owners through ownertrades but haven't had luck yet. Either no response or they are not interested in trading. It has just been crazy this month with the holidays so have had little time to really research my options.

I did look one day on II and they had a good week available but I am a little spoiled by my oceanside villa and would like to keep owner status if possible by finding another owner to trade with. Part of me thinks I should just snatch up that week before it's gone.

I have no experience trading on II and it makes me a little nervous. I was going to place a request first so I could narrow down the timeframe we want to go but I see there is a cost associated with it. Not sure if one week pops up and it meets my criteria, then it's mine? Do I get to say yes or no?

jdunn1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Be careful when trying to trade back into Oceanwatch with II for anytime in the summer. If you want a late August week, like the last week in August, you should be fine but anything from June till very end of August is all but impossible, even for platinum owners trading back in.

There are many posts from tuggers about not being able to trade back into oceanwatch and even more posts from other marriott owners trying unsucessfully to trade into there for the summer.

I think your best bet is renting on redweek. I just bought a platinum plus week at oceanwatch so I will have first hand knowledge about this resort, soon. For now, I am just letting you know things I have heard second hand, but I wanted you to be aware.

Personally, I have tried for almost two years to get in there for the summer, and I am a Marriott owner but have had no success. Others have had success getting in for shoulder summer season, but I've yet to hear from anyone who traded into OceanWatch for say mid June through mid August.

tmoscola

TUG Member
Reaction score
jdunn1 - you are going to love, love, love owning at OW!!! It is our all time favorite resort and we have been to quite a few of the vacation club properties. Congratulations on your purchase! Wish you many years of safe travels to a great resort.

We do know about the challenges with reserving at OW though! If you have been there, you know why. If not, you will soon know why.

Last edited:

jdunn1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Such a nice note. THANK YOU. I cannot wait to stay there for the first time. I grew up going to MB as a kid and now that tradition can continue for my family and at the Marriott, which make it all the more better.

Owning a Willowridge week, it was impossible to get OW for anytime in the the summer, but in talking with other tuggers, it doesn't seem to matter where you own, even Hawaii owners and other OW owners can't get into OW in the summer. That is why I bought in. Just spoke to Marriott two weeks ago and they said it would take about 4 weeks for me to actually be in their system, but my week is fixed so I don't need to worry about booking sooner verses later.

In my long quest to exchange into OW I found out hardly anyone gives up their summer week to II. They rent them, which still makes me scratch my head. When I heard from a tugger who happens to own a platinum OW week and he had been waiting a year to trade back in through II, that sealed the deal for me in terms of never using II as an option to get back into OW in the summer. Looks like renting on Redweek or myresort network or renting points from a DC member and having them book a reservation for me is the only way to go these days.

Good luck figuring something out. If you can settle for Hilton Head, maybe II will come through with a summer week for you. It is not MB, not by a long shot but it is still very nice and if I couldn't get MB I would be happy with Hilton Head.

jdunn1 - you are going to love, love, love owning at OW!!! It is our all time favorite reason and we have been to quite a few of the vacation club properties. Congratulations on your purchase! Wish you many years of safe travels to a great resort.

We do know about the challenges with reserving at OW though! If you have been there, you know why. If not, you will soon know why.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
That is why I bought in.

I don't know what view category you bought but as a platinum plus OS owner myself I think you will find it to be a great resort to own from number of perspectives.

Not only is it a fabulous resorts and it sounds like you'll enjoy using it frequntly but you'll also be happy to know it rents like gangbusters if you can't use it one year.

For me its the highest net profit rental unit for us exceeding both the Aruba Surf Club and Maui Ocean Club.

jdunn1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Joe. I was only able to get Ocean View. Would have loved ocean side or better yet, ocean front but I am most happy about getting platinum plus. I figure I can (sometime in the future) rent my week and perhaps rent an ocean side or ocean front unit for a different summer week. Maybe. The woman I bought from owned that week from day one and she just loved the ocean view buildings. I'm concerned about the walk to/from the beach. I do not mind the walk one bit but I get the impression it is not a quick walk back and forth from the beach for say lunch or a nap or whatever. I guess there are golf cart rides available from those buildings to the beach, but I'm not sure how that works.

I don't know what view category you bought but as a platinum plus OS owner myself I think you will find it to be a great resort to own from number of perspectives.

Not only is it a fabulous resorts and it sounds like you'll enjoy using it frequntly but you'll also be happy to know it rents like gangbusters if you can't use it one year.

For me its the highest net profit rental unit for us exceeding both the Aruba Surf Club and Maui Ocean Club.

NJMOM2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Abound Club Points
Marriott Harbour Lake
Marriott OceanWatch
It's not that bad a walk. The back building were on the other side of Woodsy pool right across the driveway from the three front building. We were there in Nov. for the first time on an OW Gold trade back into a Silver week. We own a Garden View and were placed in an Ocean Front in the lobby building.

https://www.my-vacationclub.com/common/respages/pdf/resorts/ow/ow_siteplan.pdf

Due to the timing of the sun that time of year were spent most of our afternoons in the Woodsy pool area. Which we even found the pool water to be warmer but I don't think you will have that problem 4th of July week. By the end of the week we figured out we can go through the garage area to avoid walking up the stairs back to the lobby.

The only problem was our guests had to park there car in the garage on the other side of the gardenview/oceanview building. The front garage had plenty of empty spots in it - my husband told them he lost the hang tag for our car and got them a tag to use for thier car in the front garage.

We thought it was kind of quiet that time of year. The weather was okay but it could have been a few degrees warmer. One day when we don't have to worry about school sports of departures for college we will enjoy going the end of Aug. to mid Sept.

For what we paid for it resale - we are happy with it

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
From what I've heard OV plat +, although in the back, still rents very well. As for the walk to the beach, its nothing to be concerned with. Sure its a 3-4 minute walk but its not a big deal to do it a few times a day.