• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Backing Up Photos

waffles77

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Our external hard drive was purchased many years ago and doesn't have any space left.

What do you use for backing up files? Is an external hard drive still the preferred method? I know we could backup to the cloud, but I am not sure how secure that would be.

With all the hacking going on out there, I don't need more personal items hanging out there for some teenager or 'angry with the world group' to get it.

Thanks!

Phydeaux

TUG Member
Reaction score
Buy another external hard drive, larger capacity. They're cheap.

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
You might get by with an flash drive or SD card. 32 GB cards are cheap. But if you need a lot of memory, agree that another external drive is better.

JimmieJames

TUG Member
Reaction score
I purchased a 128 Gb jump drive on sale and keep it in a pouch in my pocked along with an extra key to the van and an extra tooth pick. I don't know which is the most handy LOL

Jim

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I use a NAS. Very convenient, accessible to all computers / users in the house, and can be used for much more than just a backup device. You can also make it a "personal cloud" device and have access to your files from your mobile devices, while traveling, etc.

Kurt

Bill4728

Reaction score
The difference between a flash drive of 32 gigs and a external hard drive (likely 1 tera) are huge. The flash drive will fail maybe not for a long time but it will fail the hard drive may fail but could last for 10 or more years. That doesn't even take into account the huge difference in storage size

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
I use Google Photos. It syncs my photos to all my devices, iPhone, iPads and Desktop while storing the in the cloud. I figure if Google goes kaput or their storage system blows up, it's the end of the world anyway. :D

Cheers

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
External drive prices have come down so much, I bought two. One stays in the safe deposit box. About once a year I swap them. If the house burns down, I'll lose less than a years worth of data. Music important too, since I spent so much time ripping CD's.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score
The difference between a flash drive of 32 gigs and a external hard drive (likely 1 tera) are huge. The flash drive will fail maybe not for a long time but it will fail the hard drive may fail but could last for 10 or more years. That doesn't even take into account the huge difference in storage size

I'm curious as to why you think the flash drive will fail?

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
I'm curious as to why you think the flash drive will fail?

Here's an article on storage media lifespan:

https://www.storagecraft.com/blog/data-storage-lifespan/

Summary:
Magnetic data (tapes) 10-20 years
Nintendo cartridge Up to 10 years
Floppy disk 10-20 years
CDs and DVDs 5-10 unrecorded, 2-5 recorded
Blu-Ray Not certain, probably over 2-5 recorded
M-Disc 1,000 years (theoretically)
Hard disk 3-5 years
Flash storage 5-10 years or more (depends on write cycles)

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I use a NAS. Very convenient, accessible to all computers / users in the house, and can be used for much more than just a backup device. You can also make it a "personal cloud" device and have access to your files from your mobile devices, while traveling, etc.

Kurt
So do I. With two drives mirrored if one fails I still have a local backup.

Additionally I backup photos to Amazon glacier with free inbuilt software. Huge amount of dslr photos backed up there. 20000+ for $3 a month.

Summary:
Magnetic data (tapes)10-20 years
Nintendo cartridgeUp to 10 years
Floppy disk 10-20 years
Hard disk 3-5 years
Those seem low on the silver discs.

I just sliced up 10-15 year old CDs now all is NAS/Glacier stored.

Found some DVDs with disc rot though.

MichaelColey

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's also a good practice to have a second hard drive that you back up to. A combination of hard drives and cloud storage is even better.

Do you really want to risk losing a "lifetime" of photos if a single hard drive crashes? Hard drives DO crash. So many of us only have digital copies of photos anymore.

Don

TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess I'm over protective. Here's what I have:
1 1T external HD that back up on a continual basis.
1 1T ext HD for manual backups.
1 328G solid state HD for the Windows Libraries (My Documents, My Photos, My Music).
When I bought the second 1T drive, I went to get one just like the first. I took the empty sample to the counter, a floor clerk had to get it from the back, I paid for it. When I got home, I found out that I was given the wireless model (almost $100 more expensive).

I don't trust "the cloud".

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
I like SmugMug for pictures.

I use Carbonite for our church computer because it backs up continuously.

We also have several portable hard drives that we back up to - each of us has a Terabyte one that we keep near our laptops to back up on Friday afternoon. Each month we do a Mirror Image on a 2 Terabyte one that we keep in a fire-proof safe. We always make a Mirror Image before leaving on vacation with our laptops.

We have always backed up our data, but when I became the volunteer church administrator for records and financials, it became imperative. This past year we did purchase a dedicated laptop for all the church information and chose to use Carbonite so that we knew for sure it was backed up. Whenever we do hire someone to do this job, it will already be set up to back up and we will not lose data if/when the computer crashes. Everyone is not great at backing up.

Elan

TUG Member
Reaction score

Summary:
Magnetic data (tapes) 10-20 years
Nintendo cartridge Up to 10 years
Floppy disk 10-20 years
Hard disk 3-5 years

The reason flash memory "wears out" is due to the oxide degradation that takes place as electrons tunnel during write and erase cycles. Given that we're talking about backing up data here, write cycles (to the same address) should be minimal. Effectively, the flash is serving as a "write once, read many" memory in this application, which is very low stress.

Kburns3761

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Wall Street Journal recommended a cloud backup company called Code42. Software is called CrashPlan. It actually reaches down to your computer every 15 minutes (when computer is connected to internet) and backs up any new files. There's an app too. You have access to all of your files from any app or browser. In addition to being a good backup solution, access from anywhere is very handy.