• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Back from Barony and LOVED it!

andrea t

TUG Member
Reaction score
We absolutely loved this resort! We had an oceanside unit...very convenient to everything. Thought the grounds were very pretty. We've been to HH many times before but always stayed at Disney. Now that the kids are "tweens" and teens, being on the beach was perfect. The resort has a quirky set up with the Westin in the middle! We had 2 units... Our traded ocean view and a rented garden view. Couldn't upgrade one or downgrade the other because the resort was full. That was a bit of a hassel but it was a last minute decision to take a 2nd unit. Oh well.

We had 2 1/2 days of rain but made the best of it. Spent several hours one day at the spa for a massage and facial. Very nice. Went back the next day for a pedicure. Does anyone know if other Marriott time share locations have spas? I know the hotel next to the Jersey one has a Red Door Spa.

The indoor pool was also a plus factor during crummy weather. And I was surprised by the amount of activities the resort runs. Always something going on. Build a Bear, tatoos, and hair braiding were hits!

Thank you ptravel for the heads up on the beach wheel chair. It was perfect and I would have never thought to ask about something like that. Also, thank you Deb for the rental info on wheel chairs. We rented one for the week and it made things so much easier for mom!

Next year...Newport Coast!

pcgirl54

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
Love it also. This is the only one with a spa on HHI. I have been to the Red Door Spa in NJ.

Davey54321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just arrived at Barony - so far so good...

(FYI - we own at Fairway Villas in NJ and the Red Door Salon there is on property there - not in the hotel - and it is great! Good to hear the spa here is nice - will have to check it out!)

Anyhow, we arrived yesterday at 1:30PM and had lunch at the grill by the main pool; when we checked back around 3:00, they said our room was ready. We were put in Live Oak building on the 3rd floor (with view of heated pool and not too bad access to the beach and Water Feature pool). After unpacking the car and settling in, we went for a swim in the pool and checked out the resort and beach. Then we got ready for dinner (and food shopping). The concierge set us up at Aqua Grill and offered us a presentation too (we've never been to HHI though we own three Marriotts and have certainly done these presentations before.) We are doing it at SurfWatch on Wednesday morning so if anyone has any questions they want answered, send them our way :whoopie:

The weather is beautiful here, but we heard the last few days (Thursday-Saturday) were unusually rainy (due to Fay - hope that is over!).

Anyhow, any tips for things to do here off the resort? We have an 8 year old girl, who generally loves the Kids Night, crafts, bike riding and swimming, which can all be done on property... We were thinking about doing a dolphin tour, or a water taxi ride to Savannah and a tour there; any suggestions for either of these excursions?

Anyhow (again) we are happy to be here on HHI; we have been to OceanWatch in Myrtle beach and wanted to see how this compared (drive down from CT felt further/longer than we thought it would frankly!)

Cathyb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just back from Newport Coast and used the spa. Had the custom massage which is 3 kinds -- depending on your requirements. This massage was totally different than any I have had -- which includes Thailand, Harborside in Bahamas and JWMarriott in Palm Desert, CA. Recommend it when you go to Newport. :)

pcgirl54

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
duplicate post

Last edited:

pcgirl54

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
Davey
How was the Aqua Grill? I have reservations for our upcoming sta in 3 weeks. We try different places each trip. We fly into Savannah. I did the drive from south of Boston once and that was enough for me. 18-20 hrs is just too long!

andrea t

TUG Member
Reaction score
Davey...We did a fireworks cruise on the "Vagabond" out of Harbour Towne on the Tuesday night. Saw dolphins, heard some great island history, and enjoyed the Shelter Cove fireworks from the water. We all enjoyed it.

Also played mini golf at Lost Lagoon / Hidden Falls and Pirates Island. They were all fun.

Cathy...I will try the spa next year at Newport Coast. Thanks for the tip.

Davey54321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the information/suggestions re cruise & mini golf...

We had a full day including morning bike-riding to Surfwatch and more pool/beach fun in the afternoon today. We setup our calendar for the next few days (doing the Savannah tour on Wednesday and family golf at Shipyard Platation tomorrow. We went to dinner at The Crazy Crab at Harbor Point tonight and went up to the top of the lighthouse there afterwards - highly recommend both! Harbor Point was happening - with music and family fun too and was just a charming experience (loved the rocking chairs on the boardwalk).

There seems to always be lots going on back at the Barony Beach resort and we are really enjoying our stay here so far.

As for Aqua Grill last night - our dinner was great (I had She-crab soup and Surf and Surf (crabcake and lobster tail) and my husband had New England clam chowder and blackened tilapia. Service was very good (unhurried but attentive) and the ambience in the room upstairs was fun - daughter loved the aquariums/fish and view was good. The restaurant had a more elegant (less casual) feel than the Crazy Crab tonight - though it was billed as kid-friendly and it did have a kids menu (daughter had fish and chips - also excellent!

I will keep you all posted as to how the rest of our trip goes - as I said in a previous post - so far so good!

(Vicki - using husband Davey's login!)

pcgirl54

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
There are horse stables in Sea Pines. Lawton Stables. Pony rides and 1 hr trail rides.

We really enjoy Sticky Fingers BBQ next to Red Fish on Palmetto Bay Rd. SP circle. If you sign up online for the BBQ club you can print a coupon for a free appetizer or dessert. We choose the wings. You can print in the business center area.Casual family dining. http://www.stickyfingersonline.com/location_detail.asp?restID=5

We enjoy Stacks on WM Hilton Pkwy for breakfast. We eat breakfast in the unit most of the week but go here once.

Also love the gourmet grocer Fresh Market on WM Hilton Pkwy. I do not buy everything there but it is worth a stop to see. Meat market,prepared food and desserts are what we buy. Fruit and drinks we buy elsewhere. http://www.thefreshmarket.com

Riding bikes on the beach is fun.

We have not done a kayak rental or been to Daufauskie Island yet. There are tours in Shelter Cove Marina-3 hr Schooner Welcome(most are not this long). http://www.palmettodunes.com/south-carolina-sailing-charters.php

Crabber J has catch and release tours for families.

We did a dolphin tour with our sons on Commander Zodiac located in the marina area where Salty Dog is in Sea Pines. Commander Zodiac
232 S Sea Pines Dr
Hilton Head Island, SC 29928
(843) 671-3344‎

Last edited:

MikeM132

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am guessing from your posts that the internet is working at Barony? My last time there they were supposed to have it but they didn't yet (they had a weak signal in the lobby). I liked Barony, too, by the way. Thought the beach was much nicer than down at Grande Ocean.