• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

award seat for minor

slomac

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Ridge Tahoe x2

Grand Pacific Palisades

Marriott Shadow Ridge

SDO

Kauai Beach Villas
I am trying to put on hold an AA award seat for my daughter but it wont let me because she is only 9. I already have a purchased seat for myself on the same flight. Do I have to call them to do this.

Art

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am trying to put on hold an AA award seat for my daughter but it wont let me because she is only 9. I already have a purchased seat for myself on the same flight. Do I have to call them to do this.

The only thing the system sees is a request for an award seat for an unaccompanied minor. Your paid ticket is on its own PNR, and is totally unrelated as far as the booking computer is concerned. I am willing to bet that somewhere in the AAwards software (I couldn't see it in the AAwards T&C's) there is a restriction on seat awards to unaccompanied minors.

Until you identify yourself to AA as the individual accompanying that minor, the award seat probably won't be released. Of course, this is probably going to mean paying the fee for booking over the phone.

I do not know that if this were a revenue ticket for an unaccompanied minor if the unaccompanied minor fee could be paid on line at the time of booking, or if that would also require a phone call.

Art

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is swapping an options? Meaning your daughter gets the paid seat and you get the award seat? We did something similar with one of our November flights.

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
Is swapping an options? Meaning your daughter gets the paid seat and you get the award seat? We did something similar with one of our November flights.

My guess is the OP is booking the "paid seat" for them so that they get the FF miles :) That is how my DH and I travel because he never has enough miles and I can get bonus due to my "elite status" with the airline.

To answer the OP's question, yes, by all means call the airlines to see what a ticketing agent can do for you. You may have to pay a booking fee however, if the agent assists you.

hibbeln

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, you have to call. I found this out when trying to book 4 award tickets (using 3 different accounts) for hubby and myself and our 2 minor sons.

The airlines require you to call. If there is a fee for booking by calling (which many do) ask them to waive the fee because you HAVE to call to book for the minor (and the adults travelling with in our case). It is standard for them to waive the call-in booking fee in this case, but if you don't ask them to waive it they might not????

Anytime you have tickets (award or paid) where you have your kids flying on a separate reservation than yourself (or even different family members), call the airline and have them "link" the reservations. This way if something happens (flight is cancelled and you are rebooked, seats get switched, flights change, etc) they will keep those reservations together. I learned this when my 2 boys (very young at the time) were on a separate reservation than hubby and myself, and the flight was changed so people on the flight were put on 2 different flights. Kids on one and us on the other. I caught the change and called and had them linked and no problems after that. Also learned this the hard way when our flight out of Munich, Germany was cancelled (plane problems) and everyone was rebooked on different flights. My elderly father was put on a flight connecting through Amsterdam and arriving in Detroit 1 hour before us. I hadn't thought to link our reservation to his, so we were put on a flight going through Paris. We VERY NEARLY missed our connection in Paris....and we had the car keys! If my husband hadn't thrown a fit in the Paris airport, we wouldn't have arrived home until a day later....I can't even imagine what my dad would have done!