• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Aussie dollar in free fall

Dottie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had to pay my maintenance fee in late June. The Aussie dollar was about 92 cents or almost at par to the US dollar once the credit card fees were added. Today the Aussie dollar was 67 cents.

Last edited:

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Yes, I noticed too. The thread about the Africa Ran caused me to look at the conversion rate for Aussie dollars. I was very happy with that, but I don't get it, with the economy as it is right now here in the U.S. :doh:

sernow

TUG Member
Reaction score
The AUD is in freefall because the global economy is in meltdown. I'm glad it helps you, but the smiley face and cheerleader are over the top and in poor taste.

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score
The AUD is in freefall because the global economy is in meltdown. I'm glad it helps you, but the smiley face and cheerleader are over the top and in poor taste.

While I am sure the OP didn't intend any offense, I think your sentiments are correct.

Dottie

TUG Member
Reaction score
You are absolutely correct. My Bad!!! I did not think it out. I will try to edit it out. I certinly am not happy about the world situation.

Last edited:

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own pieces of 6 young racehorses. Three are in the US and three in Australia. Not only are the monthly expenses in Australia lower than in the US in absolute terms, but after taking the exchange rate into account, Australia is really a bargain. With training costs of about $2,000 per horse per month this is not insignificant. I knew this going in but current world events have magnified the difference

George

beanb41

TUG Member
Reaction score
THe currency exchanges over the past year or so have had positives and negatives. Whilst the Kiwi and Aussies dollars were high against other currencies we had cheaper overseass holidays, imported goods etc and now with the exchange rates going the other way the reverse is happening for the other currencies but our exports are getting more dollars so its swings and roundabouts.

Kola

TUG Member
Reaction score
Its all a direct reflection of rapidly falling mineral and energy commodity prices such as iron ore, coal, bauxite, nickel, gold, etc. Australian exports are now worth less in US $ (or Euros ) while their imports have become more expensive. Since resource stock prices have reached unprecedented levels, a substantial correction was unavoidable. There was no way that major mineral consuming countries, such as China, Japan, Korea and, of course, the EU member states could continue paying hugely inflated commodity prices over a long term. Of course, this applies not only to prices of Australian exports but also to Canadian, Brazilian, Russian, etc. That's why we have corresponding rapid decline in the relative values of the Can. $, Russian rubels, and other floating currencies. It will take time for the commodity markets to stabilize as market fundametals for each commodity is different.

K.

Kola

TUG Member
Reaction score
Today, the Austr. dollar is still worth $0.67 US while the Canadian dollar fell rapidly as low as US $0.78 That will make winter travel in the USA for Cdn. snowbirds quite a bit more expensive. What a difference in just a couple of months !

K.