• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Attorney General Question

decadude

TUG Member
Reaction score
What are the odds of a paid off timeshare a friend of mine has never used and paid $5000 of them getting their money back filing an attorney general claim.

They were definitely lied to and deceived, but everyone here knows this because they bought a timeshare from a timeshare salesman.

Jason245

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
.0000000000000000001 percent chance of success.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

decadude

TUG Member
Reaction score
how so

.0000000000000000001 percent chance of success.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I have heard of people getting their money back of coarse it is from online but so is this forum post.

:)

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
What you have read online is bald face lies from "rescue" companies who make false promises to steal your money.

The chances of getting your money back after the rescission period, which is usually no more than 10 days, is 0.

The attorney general is not going to give him his money back.

He would have to win a lawsuit - not happening.

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
For those that are truly scammed, its a no brainer as even .0001% is still a million % greater than 0%...which is the chance of getting the money back if she does nothing =)

nearly all AGs offices these days have an online complaint form to fill out...and even if many years down the road the company is taken down, your only chance of a settlement is if you filed the claim. there is certainly no harm in doing it...and the more people that complain the greater chance the company will be investigated!

now with that said, you have little to no shot of an AG doing much to help someone who has buyers remorse after the legal cancellation period....not to say it hasnt happened in the past...but given the number of folks that make the complaint they were lied to....and those successful in getting their money back....it is certainly some very long odds!

What I would do in your case is become the most annoying owner on earth, write letters, write emails, post on their facebook page all the lies and mistruths that were promised you during the presentation...demand they own up to the promises or let you out. (this of course assumes that the friend was indeed lied to etc during the presentation)

they are under no legal obligation to do so, but many times the "cost" of retaining a very unhappy member is far greater than just parting ways. I certainly wouldnt expect a refund though, at the most you can hope is to be released from further obligations....and even that is a big if!

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
For those that are truly scammed, its a no brainer as even .0001% is still a million % greater than 0%...which is the chance of getting the money back if she does nothing =)

nearly all AGs offices these days have an online complaint form to fill out...and even if many years down the road the company is taken down, your only chance of a settlement is if you filed the claim. there is certainly no harm in doing it...and the more people that complain the greater chance the company will be investigated!

now with that said, you have little to no shot of an AG doing much to help someone who has buyers remorse after the legal cancellation period....not to say it hasnt happened in the past...but given the number of folks that make the complaint they were lied to....and those successful in getting their money back....it is certainly some very long odds!

What I would do in your case is become the most annoying owner on earth, write letters, write emails, post on their facebook page all the lies and mistruths that were promised you during the presentation...demand they own up to the promises or let you out. (this of course assumes that the friend was indeed lied to etc during the presentation)

they are under no legal obligation to do so, but many times the "cost" of retaining a very unhappy member is far greater than just parting ways. I certainly wouldnt expect a refund though, at the most you can hope is to be released from further obligations....and even that is a big if!

I agree! This is always my strategy for any issue I have with a company. It is exhausting. It is a lot of work. But sometimes persistence wins out.

csxjohn

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
..... I certainly wouldnt expect a refund though, at the most you can hope is to be released from further obligations....and even that is a big if!

Even that would be a huge win.