• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Attn: Marriott Preferred-Visa Experts

Cruiser Too

TUG Member
Reaction score
I called and booked my Marriott Preferred-Visa's annual 1-free night e-certificate stay.

But... my confirmation email shows that I'm using 25,000 "points" for our 1-night stay !

I called them again and they claim that it always shows these types of stays as "points-based" stays.
The Rep tried (unsuccessfully) to convince me that I will NOT have any "points" deducted for this 1-night stay.

I trust TUG'ers more than Company Reps.

Did your annual "free" night stays show as points-based,
but no points were deducted from your account ?

Thanks Y'all !

Doug

ann824

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am using mine this week. My reservation states that I am using an e-certificate and it states that no points are being deducted. I would go online and make another reservation and see if it uses your free night certificate. If it does then cancel the other reservation.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Have they deducted the points from your account? It seems to me that anytime I've used points to make a reservation, the points have been deducted at the time the reservation was made. If no points have been deducted than I'd say you're in good shape. If they've deducted the points from your account then there's an issue that needs to be straightened out.

DJensen

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Different Promo

I called this weekend to book a one night stay for a summer certicicate that i earned and the rep told me the same thing about points. Also noted that once it updates through the hotel itself it will grab the certificate. Must just be the way the system is currently set up.

Cruiser Too

TUG Member
Reaction score
I called this weekend to book a one night stay for a summer certicicate that i earned and the rep told me the same thing about points. Also noted that once it updates through the hotel itself it will grab the certificate. Must just be the way the system is currently set up.

Your experience duplicates mine.
I can't understand why some shows as an e-certificate stay and others
(like ours) show it as a points-based stay.

I get very uncomfortable with "inconsistency".
Makes Marriott seem like an wishy-washy type of organization.

Cruiser Too

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have they deducted the points from your account? It seems to me that anytime I've used points to make a reservation, the points have been deducted at the time the reservation was made. If no points have been deducted than I'd say you're in good shape. If they've deducted the points from your account then there's an issue that needs to be straightened out.

I'm embarrassed to say I wouldn't notice.
I don't keep that close tab on them.
How can I find out ?

Cruiser Too

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am using mine this week. My reservation states that I am using an e-certificate and it states that no points are being deducted. I would go online and make another reservation and see if it uses your free night certificate. If it does then cancel the other reservation.

Did you book yours online or via phone ?

I tried to book mine online but didn't know the "code" to use for the e-certificate. What I used didn't work so I called them.

What "code" should I use ???

Thanks, Doug

pianodinosaur

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC SeaWorld x 2, HGVC Las Vegas Strip x 2, MVC Mountain Valley Lodge, MVC Legend’s Edge
I used my Visa Premier this year for the Thanksgiving weekend. I had a similar problem as the OP and it was corrected without difficulty over the telephone.

horseman

TUG Member
Reaction score
We recently updgraded to the Marriott Black Card and have yet to attempt to use the free one night stay. How do you go about obtaining the e-certificate in the firat place?

Thanks

KathyPet

TUG Member
Reaction score
WHen I made my last Marriott reservation on line using points at the bottom of the screen there was a check box that I could use to indicate that I wanted to use my "Free night". I just checked the box.

You can see your Marriott Rewards History by logging in and then selecting my account overview when you log in. On the next page at the top click on Transaction History. It will shoiw you the current month but you can change the date range to go back further.

Art

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
WHen I made my last Marriott reservation on line using points at the bottom of the screen there was a check box that I could use to indicate that I wanted to use my "Free night". I just checked the.

I had the same experience.

Art

Michigan Czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club Annual, 2 x Marriott's Maui Ocean Club Odd
WHen I made my last Marriott reservation on line using points at the bottom of the screen there was a check box that I could use to indicate that I wanted to use my "Free night". I just checked the box.

You can see your Marriott Rewards History by logging in and then selecting my account overview when you log in. On the next page at the top click on Transaction History. It will shoiw you the current month but you can change the date range to go back further.

Same here, this is the way I have done it the past couple of years.

Cruiser Too

TUG Member
Reaction score

Hmmm... I MUST have missed that part :rolleyes:

I'll try to test this and hopefully see the same check-box.

You can see your Marriott Rewards History by logging in and then selecting my account overview when you log in. On the next page at the top click on Transaction History. It will show you the current month but you can change the date range to go back further.

Thanks Kathy !!!

Cruiser Too

TUG Member
Reaction score
Issue Resolved... Hopefully !!!

Everyone:

I filled-out the Contact-Us link and posted my concern.

Just received a reply to my inquiry below.
I'll take a copy of their email with me when I check in.

Thank you for contacting Marriott Rewards.

I can confirm the following certificate has been issued from your Marriott Rewards account:

Reward Code: 43J Premier Anniversary Category 1-5
Cost: 0
Reward Description: one night at a Category five property
Confirmation number: 802xxxxx
Hotel: Santa Ynez Valley Marriott
Check-in date: December xx to xx, 2011

Cruiser Too

TUG Member
Reaction score
We recently updgraded to the Marriott Black Card and have yet to attempt to use the free one night stay. How do you go about obtaining the e-certificate in the firat place? Thanks

Hi Horseman !!!

You should receive notification (email?) after your "anniversary date".
Figure a year after you officially became a Black Card member.
The e-certificate is valid for 6-months and valid for Category 1 thru 5 hotels.

Doug

Cruiser Too

TUG Member
Reaction score
I used my Visa Premier this year for the Thanksgiving weekend. I had a similar problem as the OP and it was corrected without difficulty over the telephone.

Thanks for your response pianodinosaur !!!
Truth be told...
we shouldn't have-to call, to have this issue resolved.