• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Atlantis Resort at Ko Olina?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing this clip and article. I agree with Greg that Ko Olina will likely have a feel similar to Kaanapali rather than Waikiki. While there will eventually be a lot more people in the area, I would think MKO will still have a relatively peaceful vibe to it.

Mike

One can only hope that MKO retain its tranquillity. Kaanapali is too crowded for me.

Aviator621

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our experience has been that people pretty much stay on their resort's own lagoon, so I would think the Atlantis would not have too much of a direct impact on the Marriott. Think the bigger threat to our tranquility is if they ever build the proposed shopping area near the Marina. That would drive a lot more traffic our way, both on the roads and the beach walkway.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Big Yellow Taxi
Joni Mitchell

They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot
With a pink hotel, a boutique
And a swinging hot SPOT
Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got
‘Til it's gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot

They took all the trees
And put them in a tree museum
Then they charged the people
A dollar and a half just to see 'em

Joni said this about writing the song to journalist Alan McDougall in the early 1970s:

“I wrote 'Big Yellow Taxi' on my first trip to Hawaii. I took a taxi to the hotel and when I woke up the next morning, I threw back the curtains and saw these beautiful green mountains in the distance. Then, I looked down and there was a parking lot as far as the eye could see, and it broke my heart... this blight on paradise. That's when I sat down and wrote the song.”

The song is known for its environmental concern (from the lyrics "They paved paradise to put up a parking lot", "Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now") and sentimental sound. The line, "Took all the trees, put 'em in a tree museum/And charged the people a dollar and a half just to see 'em" refers to Foster Botanical Garden in downtown Honolulu, which is a living museum of tropical plants, some rare and endangered. ..."

Now, fast forward 50 years. Things are even more paved now than they were then. So while I appreciate the sentiment of the song, I think the "preservation ship" on Oahu has sailed a long time ago. They were trying to get development out around the Kapolei area for a long time. Now it seems they've gotten exactly what they asked for.

Waikiki has "always" been crowded. When I first moved there in 1968, the running joke was that the new Hawaii State Bird was the Construction Crane. The State was putting up welfare families in empty hotel rooms, because there wasn't enough low-rent housing on the island.

Comparing Waikiki and Ko Olina is not really fair. They are very different places. They can build whatever they like out there, they will never be able to offer the appeal Waikiki has for some visitors, starting with name itself. When you say "Waikiki Beach" anywhere in the world, people know exactly what you're talking about, and the visuals that name brings. Surf, sand, Diamond Head views. It's iconic, and ubiquitous.

I like both places, for very different reasons. If Atlantis feels they can build something there that fits in, and serves the tourist demand, then I'm in favor of it. It will never be an overbuilt place like Waikiki, no matter how hard they try.

Dave, sharing my 2 cents. :)

Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Just to clarify - I wasn't try to imply that KoOlina would become Waikiki - I was quoting someone else.

A Travel Agent told me KoOlina was going to be "just like Waikiki" and she was delighted at the idea.

My post was about her comment - I can't imagine why anyone would want KoOlina to become "just like Waikiki."

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score

Joni said this about writing the song to journalist Alan McDougall in the early 1970s:

“I wrote 'Big Yellow Taxi' on my first trip to Hawaii. I took a taxi to the hotel and when I woke up the next morning, I threw back the curtains and saw these beautiful green mountains in the distance. Then, I looked down and there was a parking lot as far as the eye could see, and it broke my heart... this blight on paradise. That's when I sat down and wrote the song.”

The song is known for its environmental concern (from the lyrics "They paved paradise to put up a parking lot", "Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now") and sentimental sound. The line, "Took all the trees, put 'em in a tree museum/And charged the people a dollar and a half just to see 'em" refers to Foster Botanical Garden in downtown Honolulu, which is a living museum of tropical plants, some rare and endangered. ..."

Now, fast forward 50 years. Things are even more paved now than they were then. So while I appreciate the sentiment of the song, I think the "preservation ship" on Oahu has sailed a long time ago. They were trying to get development out around the Kapolei area for a long time. Now it seems they've gotten exactly what they asked for.

Waikiki has "always" been crowded. When I first moved there in 1968, the running joke was that the new Hawaii State Bird was the Construction Crane. The State was putting up welfare families in empty hotel rooms, because there wasn't enough low-rent housing on the island.

Comparing Waikiki and Ko Olina is not really fair. They are very different places. They can build whatever they like out there, they will never be able to offer the appeal Waikiki has for some visitors, starting with name itself. When you say "Waikiki Beach" anywhere in the world, people know exactly what you're talking about, and the visuals that name brings. Surf, sand, Diamond Head views. It's iconic, and ubiquitous.

I like both places, for very different reasons. If Atlantis feels they can build something there that fits in, and serves the tourist demand, then I'm in favor of it. It will never be an overbuilt place like Waikiki, no matter how hard they try.

Dave, sharing my 2 cents. :)

Enjoyed this.

When I was young, I lived in Waikiki in the early '70s. On Kaiulani & Kuhio and the "jungle" on Liliuokalani Ave. Not to mention the North Shore and other towns.

My Ex was born and raised in Ewa with Grandparents who came to cut cane on Ewa Plantation.

I, too, remember the "state bird of Hawaii" as the "Dillingham Crane".

Good memories listening to the "Coconut Wireless" and fun nights at the "Crow's Nest" (Blue Kangaroo) and "The Tahitian Lanai" among favorite watering holes. Oh, Davey Jones' Locker, Captain Nemo's, too.

Mo bettah.

-

Hawaii Calls.

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Enjoyed this.

When I was young, I lived in Waikiki in the early '70s. On Kaiulani & Kuhio and the "jungle" on Liliuokalani Ave. Not to mention the North Shore and other towns.

My Ex was born and raised in Ewa with Grandparents who came to cut cane on Ewa Plantation.

I, too, remember the "state bird of Hawaii" as the "Dillingham Crane".

Good memories listening to the "Coconut Wireless" and fun nights at the "Crow's Nest" (Blue Kangaroo) and "The Tahitian Lanai" among favorite watering holes. Oh, Davey Jones' Locker, Captain Nemo's, too.

Mo bettah.

-

Hawaii Calls.

Very cool to read this. Had my first ever Teriyaki Burger from a cart at the International Marketplace, right near the original Crazy Shirts store. The Zoo was free (is it still?) and there was no sea wall or sand at the makai end of Kapahulu Street. Watched "Checkers and Pogo," the awful Hawaii version of Bozo the Clown, and the original Hawaii 5-0 on TV - which was three channels - 2, 4, and 9, and sometimes 13. (It was always cool seeing McGarrett's big car racing around Diamond Head Cliffs.) I lived in Kailua, and then in Town, at Alewa Heights (off Wyllie Street), and worked at McInerny's in Ala Moana Center, before the remodel of the Center Stage. Ed & Don's ice cream parlor was still there, right near the Chinese Crack Seed store. "Da Bus" cost 25 cents to go anywhere, and the Waikiki #2 route bus stopped right in front of my house. I spent all day Saturday and Sunday on the beach in Waikiki, or snorkeling at Hanauma Bay. "Salisbury Steak" (in name only) plate lunch from the truck at Kuhio Beach Park, before that remodel and the police station was built there. Waikiki has changed a lot, but in many ways, it hasn't changed a bit. :)

Dave

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Very cool to read this. Had my first ever Teriyaki Burger from a cart at the International Marketplace, right near the original Crazy Shirts store. The Zoo was free (is it still?) and there was no sea wall or sand at the makai end of Kapahulu Street. Watched "Checkers and Pogo," the awful Hawaii version of Bozo the Clown, and the original Hawaii 5-0 on TV - which was three channels - 2, 4, and 9, and sometimes 13. (It was always cool seeing McGarrett's big car racing around Diamond Head Cliffs.) I lived in Kailua, and then in Town, at Alewa Heights (off Wyllie Street), and worked at McInerny's in Ala Moana Center, before the remodel of the Center Stage. Ed & Don's ice cream parlor was still there, right near the Chinese Crack Seed store. "Da Bus" cost 25 cents to go anywhere, and the Waikiki #2 route bus stopped right in front of my house. I spent all day Saturday and Sunday on the beach in Waikiki, or snorkeling at Hanauma Bay. "Salisbury Steak" (in name only) plate lunch from the truck at Kuhio Beach Park, before that remodel and the police station was built there. Waikiki has changed a lot, but in many ways, it hasn't changed a bit. :)

Dave

Yick Lung Seeds ! Right near Yumi's . Patti's ! Still have my Liberty House charge card. Used to shop at McInerney's and The Ritz (Fort Street Mall).

I used to cut through the International Marketplace every day. Always had ice cream at Farrell's where they banged the drum when someone ordered a humongous sundae.

Loved "The Rose & Crown Pub" right at the end of my street (Kalakaua and Kaiulani).

Lani- Moo ! Pakalolo/Maui Wowie !

Loyal Garner, Emma, the Beamers, John Rowles (I used to waitress at his show now and then), Don Ho, Society of Seven, Buggah-Buggah.

Good time to be young, single and stupid !

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Good time to be young, single and stupid !

Especially the pakalolo part. LOL! :) Everybody I knew had a pupule streak in them. I proudly admit I still do.

I think we're probably about the same age. I was in high school then, and left Oahu in 1972 when I joined the Navy. My life has turned out very well, but I've always wondered "What if?" I had stayed there and gone to the UH, as I'd planned. Uncle Sam and the Draft Lottery had other ideas...

I'm suddenly seriously homesick for Hawaii. We'll be there again the middle of October. Yikes! :)

Dave

komosatp

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm a bit skeptical of this ever materializing, and there's some red-flags in the reporting that make me think this whole thing was a planted rumor.

First, Atlantis is a brand owned by *Kerzner*. The fact that none of the press about this mentions that fact makes me think the reporters all ate a contrived story fed to them by a developer.

Second, I'm not sure Kerzner currently has the standing in the world real estate markets to get the financing for the 'world's most expensive resort' after he defaulted on Atlantis in the Bahamas just a few years ago. Plus, Kerzner's attention is focused on building the next Atlantis in China, and is rumored to be in the running to take over and complete the Bahamar resort in Nassau.

My money is on the owner of the Ko Olina land putting this rumor out there for negotiating purposes. If he threatened to put something like an Atlantis in, when he offers a concession, the hotel that will be built will be twice the size of what had been previously authorized, and will look good by comparison to an Atlantis scale development.

Last edited:

larryallen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
KOBC x6, Westin Kierland x2, and we went to the darkside and bought points!
I'm a bit skeptical of this ever materializing, and there's some red-flags in the reporting that make me think this whole thing was a planted rumor.

First, Atlantis is a brand owned by *Kerzner*. The fact that none of the press about this mentions that fact makes me think the reporters all ate a contrived story fed to them by a developer.

Second, I'm not sure Kerzner currently has the standing in the world real estate markets to get the financing for the 'world's most expensive resort' after he defaulted on Atlantis in the Bahamas just a few years ago. Plus, Kerzner's attention is focused on building the next Atlantis in China, and is rumored to be in the running to take over and complete the Bahamar resort in Nassau.

My money is on the owner of the Ko Olina land putting this rumor out there for negotiating purposes. If he threatened to put something like an Atlantis in, when he offers a concession, the hotel that will be built will be twice the size of what had been previously authorized, and will look good by comparison to an Atlantis scale development.

That's good info/thoughts.

I don't see a full blown "Atlantis" resort being built. Sort of like Aulani is not a full blown Disney mega-resort. The land is only so big. To me, Aulani feels a bit crowded in it's little spot. Whatever the sign says there will be a resort there before too long. Beit Atlantis (or "Pacificis" as my mom suggested), another Marriott, Hyatt, or whatever. It's going to be something! Many of us know how great Ko Olina is and once Disney built there I was fairly confident it would get built out pretty quick. It will never be Waikiki. There isn't enough space so I think we are safe on that. As mentioned above, by someone, a Kaanapali style is possible. I would say a small Kaanapali. I personally still love Ko Olina and am excited to see what is ultimately built. As has been said by others they need a few more decent food options over there so this is good progress in my opinion.