• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

At WSJ-should we go to owners update?

Carolyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St John
WJL St Lucia
St James Club Antigua
Charter Club Marco
Sheraton Desert Oasis
We don't really want the $75 or the starpoints so we're signed up for the "quickie" update on the day before we leave. What does this involve? They mentioned something about the renovations which we would be interested in but don't want to buy at Bay vista, although I wouldn't mind seeing them. So far beautiful weather this week! Thanks!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Carolyn - it will be an outright sales presentation. How high pressure it is depends on the salesman. If you don't want the points or $75, skip it and save yourself the hassle.

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you have the time to spare, I would go. The WSJ sales staff has more of a low pressure sales presentation. Just tell them upright that you are not buying nor do you have any plans to buy. Be firm, be direct and don't be wishy washy....if not, enjoy your new week at WSJ!

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
If this is the 1-hour "Owners' Update" - we did this because I wanted to hear about the refurbish plans (prior to the more recent one) - and see the BV units. It was painless and we actually went well over the 1-hour - but that was on us - not them. There was zero pressure to buy anything, but they will go over the BV price structure.

We got 5000 SPs - make sure you keep your receipt - we lost ours and it took until recently (plus lots of phone calls with SVO) to finally get the SPs into my SPG account.

If you do go - please quiz them on the recent notification for the Kitchen/Bathroom refurbish and associated special assessment. For example - why this assessment (over 3 years) is so much higher than the previously proposed assesment (that was voted on, but failed due to lack of response). It is ~3x the amount...!

I have wanted to follow-up on this, but too busy.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
It's good to know that the WSJ Owner's Update is not just a hard-core sales presentation. The last Starwood "Owner's Update" we did was at WKORV and when we told the salesman that we were really only there for an update he said, "Why did you make an appointment if you don't want to buy another week?" and eventually told us we were "wasting his time." We won't ever do another Starwood update...or any other kind for that matter.

Carolyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St John
WJL St Lucia
St James Club Antigua
Charter Club Marco
Sheraton Desert Oasis
If you do go - please quiz them on the recent notification for the Kitchen/Bathroom refurbish and associated special assessment. For example - why this assessment (over 3 years) is so much higher than the previously proposed assesment (that was voted on, but failed due to lack of response). It is ~3x the amount...!

I have wanted to follow-up on this, but too busy.

David,
As a new owner, I am not familiar with with the previous proposed assessment.

Transit

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did the quickie vs the full presentation.We got a voucher for lunch it only lasted about 30 min no pressure.I wanted to see the new units.

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
I did the quickie vs the full presentation.We got a voucher for lunch it only lasted about 30 min no pressure.I wanted to see the new units.
We did the one hour and received $125 - I wanted to see the BV units.

jerseygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
My cell phone has a smilie that sticks its tongue out -- am I just missing it here? Oh ... here it is. :p :p :p

Carolyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St John
WJL St Lucia
St James Club Antigua
Charter Club Marco
Sheraton Desert Oasis

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
And I was only offered $75!!! Maybe because I'm an owner??
Should I hold out for more?

They are probably feeling harder economic times - perhaps.

Pretend you know about the previous refurbish - which is about the same refurbish but 3x more {!!!???} w/ no vote this time - how do they pull this off?

tlpnet

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's really weird that you're only being offered $75. I attended an owner's update (own week 43 3BR pool villa) on 10/28/08 - yes just 2 weeks ago and was offered $125 upfront with no negotiation.

I agree that their sales techniques are not high pressure. Bay Vista is beautiful. I would go.

-tim

tlpnet

TUG Member
Reaction score
They are probably feeling harder economic times - perhaps.

Pretend you know about the previous refurbish - which is about the same refurbish but 3x more {!!!???} w/ no vote this time - how do they pull this off?

I talked to them about refurbs in the VG phase when I was there. It was before we received our letters, and they didn't go into the details. What they did tell me, however, that addresses your question is that the rules (not sure which document) allow them to temporarily raise the MF's by a certain percentage to cover this. I'm at HRA now, but I bought WSJ developer so have the CD-ROM version of the documents and can send them to you when I get home if you don't have them. Just let me know.

-tim

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
You have a CD-ROm version of the WSJ Virgin Grand Owners Manual - I would like to get a copy. I will be at WKORV next week - so when I get back I am going to look into this. I am in favor of a overall refurbish, but... at what price and who is making these decisions????

This cost ,if I read correctly, is in far excess of what was planned (and lacked votes) a couple of years ago - for essentialy the same refurbish.

Enjoy your trip

tlpnet

TUG Member
Reaction score
You have a CD-ROm version of the WSJ Virgin Grand Owners Manual - I would like to get a copy. I will be at WKORV next week - so when I get back I am going to look into this. I am in favor of a overall refurbish, but... at what price and who is making these decisions????

This cost ,if I read correctly, is in far excess of what was planned (and lacked votes) a couple of years ago - for essentialy the same refurbish.

Enjoy your trip

I didn't own there when the vote failed, but from reading the letter, and from my conversations with the folks there, I think the difference may be the new roofs. I'm guessing this wasn't part of the special assessment that owners voted on.

I don't know how big the PDF file(s) on the CD-ROM are, so PM me your email address and the maximum size file that you can receive, and I'll either send the file to you, or via email we can make other arrangements.

Enjoy YOUR trip!
-tim

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Thanks.

Roofs were not mentioned in either - are they discussing roofs in the latest - if so, I missed it.

I will contact you when I get back - I should be able to get any PDF file at my work email. If not - it can be zipped.

tlpnet

TUG Member
Reaction score
It was mentioned in the letter regarding the temporary increase in maintenance fees to cover the cost of the renovations. The buildings are "being fitted with a standing seam metal roof which is stylish, highly durable, fire resistant and long lasting".

-tim

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
It's really weird that you're only being offered $75. I attended an owner's update (own week 43 3BR pool villa) on 10/28/08 - yes just 2 weeks ago and was offered $125 upfront with no negotiation.

I agree that their sales techniques are not high pressure. Bay Vista is beautiful. I would go.

-tim
We attended the week before for $125....10/18 check-in.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
It was mentioned in the letter regarding the temporary increase in maintenance fees to cover the cost of the renovations. The buildings are "being fitted with a standing seam metal roof which is stylish, highly durable, fire resistant and long lasting".

-tim

Been too busy to pay attention - I don't mind paying, but do not want to get ripped off... and want accontability and established timelines.

Loriannf

TUG Member
Reaction score
At WSJ 11/22 - 11/29

We'll be there that week, and I plan on attending an owner's update (if they'll give me the $125). Let me know what questions you want answered, I'll make a list then post the answers I receive.

Lori

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
We'll be there that week, and I plan on attending an owner's update (if they'll give me the $125). Let me know what questions you want answered, I'll make a list then post the answers I receive.

Lori
Good to know - see above.

Like - WHAT!? who determined the cost - why is it higher than the failed vote refurbish, what are the timelines, why so much, why wasn't this voted on, what knid of math was used to spin this as $625 per TS, etc.???

Have a great trip