• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

At WKORVN now

tlpnet

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm at WKORVN this week - if anyone has any questions about the resort, I'll do my best to find out what I can. I'm going to an owner's update tomorrow.

-tim

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Enjoy the beach! :)

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I have a question - another Tugger who is there now said he was offered an upgrade for a fee, can you find out how much an upgrade is?

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
I'm jealous. I love Maui and would move there if I could afford an OF property....

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Lisa - I've had my eye on the lot on the other side of the park for several years. It's only 10 Million - wanna go halves on it? :D

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lisa - I've had my eye on the lot on the other side of the park for several years. It's only 10 Million - wanna go halves on it? :D

Sorry, but with the banks tightening up on credit, they'll only lend me $250 now.

The OF condos at the place next door went for, what? $4m? I'd even be willing to slum it by buying one of the privately owned condos at Kaanapali Shores.

Alas, I'm stuck in Ohio, where the nearest ocean is 10 hours away.

tlpnet

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK - so here's what I learned in my sales presentation (er, I mean Owner's Update).

SVO, it seems, doesn't communicate well internally either. The WKORV sales team read in the newspaper that SVO was planning on developing a third phase in Maui.

WKORV is selling limited remaining inventory in Maui and villas at WPORV.

They brought up the subject of the 5* qualification change, and supposedly the change was made to draw out the time period it will take to get a total of 2,000 platinum SPG members from SVO.

I stopped by the front desk and inquired about paying a fee for an upgraded view. The member that reported this was not being swindled. There is such a thing, and it doesn't seem to be a set amount, as I tried to get that info. I gave the person a hypothetical example "say I just arrived and I own and am booked in a 2BR island view. When I check in, I would like an ocean view, what would the fee be?" I was told probably around $300/night, but it varies. This actually makes some sense. If I paid $80-$100K (developer) to get an ocean view, I would like to think I got some value by paying the differential over what an island view owner paid. I know there are people who are unhappy with the classifications here especially in the North section, and being here helps me better understand that thread but that is another thread.

Aloha,
-tim

Cathyb

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
How is the furniture holding up? Are they controlling those people who put towels on chaises and leave for a long time? Any signs of the poor economy thru your eyes? TIA

tlpnet

TUG Member
Reaction score
How is the furniture holding up? Are they controlling those people who put towels on chaises and leave for a long time? Any signs of the poor economy thru your eyes? TIA

I love the furniture - it's definitely my taste, however I did notice some water circles, and despite looking through every drawer, not a coaster to be found. I'm not sure the choice of expensive real wood furniture was the best, but it certainly is beautiful. I was in a Marriott TS a few weeks ago, they had coasters...

I'll combine the next answer - there are plenty of chaises to go around (not that busy), and I haven't really paid attention to them removing people's stuff, but I also haven't been hanging at the pool much. I did read that stuff sitting out to hold chaises would be removed after 60 minutes. I'll try to pay more attention, and will update you if I notice something different.

-tim

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
It's not real wood, at least not in the bedrooms. It's pressboard with a dark wood laminate. I know this because my husband accidentally snapped off a piece of the veneer. :(

Troopers

TUG Member
Reaction score
How's the strip mall with Barnes & Noble just down the road? I assume the doors are open for businees. Any good restaurants there?

Thanks.

tlpnet

TUG Member
Reaction score
How's the strip mall with Barnes & Noble just down the road? I assume the doors are open for businees. Any good restaurants there?

Thanks.

Yes, Lahaina Gateway is open. I didn't go into Barnes & Noble because i brought books with me, but the website boasts it's the largest on the island. There is an OfficeMax there that is really nice but a little small. Lahaina Farms (kind of a cross between a Trader Joes and Whole Foods) is really nice with good selection of organics. The Melting Pot (a fondue restaurant) looks interesting, but I didn't try it. And for the big finale... an Outback Steakhouse. I happen to like Outback (didn't try this one), but don't think that is what you were looking for.

-tim

Vacationlvrs

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN (Annual Island View 2 Weeks)
Westin KORVN (EOY Odd Ocean Front Week
1 week)
We were at WKORVN in mid-August. Finding chaises with shade was sometimes a problem, but the security staff went around periodically and put stickers (with the time written on them) on the chaises that did not have bodies in them. About 60-90 minutes later, they would make the rounds again and have security record and lock up any seemingly abandoned personal belongings for the guest to reclaim later. This system did seem to help make available chaises (at least in sunny areas) any time during the day.

JohnnyGlobal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Owners Update from WKORV-N

Here's the report from my recent Owner's Update:

1) the vacant fields immediately north of WKORV-N were purchased by Starwood and then donated to the county. This is supposed to remain permanent "green space", and Starwood is (supposedly) going to be turning it into a formal park of some sort at some undetermined time in the future. I can confirm that there are sprinklers running each day in the dirt patch immediately north of WKORV-N...so this space should become green in the weeks/months ahead.

2) for lack of a better name, WKORV-III (immediately to the north of the green space just north of WKORV-N) is slowly being developed, although the timeshare staff didn't seem to have any solid details. My sales person speculated that this development will likely become some sort of fractional ownership/higher end development, largely due to the fact that the government mandated that the resort be 90-95% "off of the island's power grid". So (according to the sales person), this resort is going to be largely generating its own power, handling its own waste(?), and desalinizing its own ocean water. These added costs, combined with the inability to sell lock-off units, were the reasons cited for this development probably being structured/sold differently from WKORV and WKORV-N.

3) WKORV-N developer pricing: EY IV and OV currently sold out. EY OF $94,900. EOY IV $36,900 ($31,450 for current SVO owners); EOY OV $43,900 ($35,450 for SVO owners); and EOY OF $47,900 ($47,450 for SVO owners).

4) When my wife and I checked in, we were (rightfully) assigned to our studio unit IV (we own EY 2-bedroom lockoff). I asked about a paid upgrade to "a better accommodation". The agent got a very nice manager who typed away in her computer and then presented us with several options. We chose a 1-bedroom, OV unit for the first week, and were then told that because we were owners, there would be no charge. This was a very nice and unexpected offer that we gladly accepted. So just for asking, we upgraded both the size & view of our unit. While this being shoulder season combined with the economic slowdown certainly helped our chances, we appreciated being treated well & recognized for our home resort ownership.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for the update, Johnny. I, for one, am glad that WKORV III will not be another carbon copy of the original two, though I cannot see it being built anytime soon given the economy and "green" restraints. I'm intrigued by the idea of a green development. A park to the north sounds great -- much better than the dirt pile that is there now.

Congratulations on getting a nice upgrade. And welcome to TUG!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Here's the report from my recent Owner's Update:

1) the vacant fields immediately north of WKORV-N were purchased by Starwood and then donated to the county. This is supposed to remain permanent "green space", and Starwood is (supposedly) going to be turning it into a formal park of some sort at some undetermined time in the future. I can confirm that there are sprinklers running each day in the dirt patch immediately north of WKORV-N...so this space should become green in the weeks/months ahead.

I'm sorry, but this just isn't true! That area was already owned by the county and designated a mandatory permanent view area/run-off/green space long before Starwood built a resort there. The original maps of that area before Starwood ever built anything showed it as county owned and a mandatory green belt. If anything, Starwood is being required to repair the damage they did during construction! This is just so much salesman spin...

2) for lack of a better name, WKORV-III (immediately to the north of the green space just north of WKORV-N) is slowly being developed, although the timeshare staff didn't seem to have any solid details. My sales person speculated that this development will likely become some sort of fractional ownership/higher end development, largely due to the fact that the government mandated that the resort be 90-95% "off of the island's power grid". So (according to the sales person), this resort is going to be largely generating its own power, handling its own waste(?), and desalinizing its own ocean water. These added costs, combined with the inability to sell lock-off units, were the reasons cited for this development probably being structured/sold differently from WKORV and WKORV-N.

Again, this is a good example of a salesman not knowing what he's talking about. Not only does this resort have a name, but floor plans have already been released, and not being able to sell lock-offs has nothing to do with anything, because the original floor plans released some time ago, never included any lockoffs! http://www.freewebs.com/denisetravels/newwkorvnnnanea.htm It makes no sense to state that in this economy they don't think they can sell timeshares by the week, but they can sell fractional ownerships at a much higher upfront cost! :rolleyes:

BTW - thanks for your report - I am critisizing your salesman - not you!

Last edited:

Becky2812

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a question about which building you are assigned based on your check-in day. I'm a new Starwood owner and will be taking my first vacation there in May. We have one week at the original property and one week at the north property where we own. Do you know which buildings are designated for Sun. check-in? Also would be interested to know which building are fri and sat check-in for future reference. Interested in these details for both properties as we are staying at both. Thanks a lot. I've learned so much already from these boards.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have a question about which building you are assigned based on your check-in day. I'm a new Starwood owner and will be taking my first vacation there in May. We have one week at the original property and one week at the north property where we own. Do you know which buildings are designated for Sun. check-in? Also would be interested to know which building are fri and sat check-in for future reference. Interested in these details for both properties as we are staying at both. Thanks a lot. I've learned so much already from these boards.

Welcome to TUG! :hi:

I have never heard that there are particular buildings for check-in on certain days, so I don't think there are. At your home resort you should get your deeded view, if you made your Resv. before 8 mos., but at WKORV you could get any view.

Becky2812

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your response. When I made the reservation the person I spoke with at Starwood said the building depended on the check-in day. That is why I was asking. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't know what they were talking about though.

Ågent99

TUG Member
Reaction score
We were at WKORVN in mid-August. Finding chaises with shade was sometimes a problem, but the security staff went around periodically and put stickers (with the time written on them) on the chaises that did not have bodies in them. About 60-90 minutes later, they would make the rounds again and have security record and lock up any seemingly abandoned personal belongings for the guest to reclaim later. This system did seem to help make available chaises (at least in sunny areas) any time during the day.

My family was at WKORV in late July and I'd have to say that there were issues getting chaises as folks would hog them all day long. I ended up laying in the grass on my towel some times but it wasn't any big deal. I didn't see security doing what you saw them doing but it sounds like a decent system to free up seats.

saluki

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your response. When I made the reservation the person I spoke with at Starwood said the building depended on the check-in day. That is why I was asking. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't know what they were talking about though.

There was a post by ciscogizmo1 a while back that detailed the room assignments in relation to check-in days @ WKORV.

JohnnyGlobal

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I asked for the opportunity to purchase an upgraded unit (size, view, or both) at check-in, the manager presented us with about 4 or 5 different options in a range of buildings (we checked in on a Saturday afternoon). We selected the one that we wanted, which was an upgraded size & view to what we had originally purchased. And as I previously mentioned, there was no charge, as our home resort owenership was noted, and the resort is some percentage below maximum capacity. Doesn't seem like there's any particular pattern to check-ins on any particular day.