• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

At Ocean Point for the nest two weeks :-)

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
We arrive at Oceana Palms on Saturday. I hope the hurricane stays away from the area, but the weather forecast doesn't look promising. Are any TUG members attending the special seafood buffet next Friday at the Marriott Suites Resort? We are attending as part of a special package and look forward to it.

We love Singer Island and enjoy our visits to both resorts this time of year. It is our final taste of sunshine before the Midwest winter.

sandytoes

TUG Member
Reaction score
Superchief,

My daughter called all worried about the hurricane that was suppose to hit Mexico but has moved toward Florida. My husband is a meteorologist, he is saying it will not be a hurricane but rather a tropical depression with a lot of rain. He said it is quick moving and will hit on Friday into Saturday and then be gone . . . he's not worried . . .but he has been know to be wrong ;) For the record . . I'm not worried and I tend to be a worrier :)

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Superchief,

My daughter called all worried about the hurricane that was suppose to hit Mexico but has moved toward Florida. My husband is a meteorologist, he is saying it will not be a hurricane but rather a tropical depression with a lot of rain. He said it is quick moving and will hit on Friday into Saturday and then be gone . . . he's not worried . . .but he has been know to be wrong ;) For the record . . I'm not worried and I tend to be a worrier :)

Looking at the projections on the National Hurricane Center website, it looks like it will only be over western Cuba on Sunday afternoon.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at3.shtml?5-daynl#contents

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
I will have to disagree with those who do not like the new decor. I tend not to like the retro look and definitely not the 50's look, but I love the new decor. It is light, airy, refreshing and while I would never pick the colors they did, it all works well IMHO. I believe all the soft furniture currently in the buildings are the furniture you see here (kingfish has all the new soft furniture). What is new are the kitchens, ceramic, wall hangings and the dressers. The added desk in the master bedroom is nice and practical, the headboards on the beds make the rooms look taller, especially in the studio, I like the new bathroom showers and the smaller jetted tubs. Seems like they did not purchase the "nick knack" dust collectors like the fake flowers on the kitchen table that were always in the way. Instead we now have a large decorative bowl which is useful if filled with fresh fruit. The only piece of furniture that to me is a bit odd is the "armless" chair in the living room . . .but, the placement is up against the window, a great place to set with a book or a glass of wine while looking out at the ocean . . . the window sill sort of acts like the arm/table. I like the mix of patterns . . makes the unit interesting . . . again, if I were looking at the swatches I would wonder what they thinking when they picked it all out . . . I think you will change you mind on the decor when you see it in person. I love it, seem very upscale.

We were in Kingfish last year after the soft refurbish and new decor (but not the full treatment Sailfish has received or Dolphin should be recieving now). At first, I wasn't thrilled with it but then again, change can be difficult. By the end of the week I was fine with the decor but my wife still prefered the old decor. I think what she really dislike was the new chairs more so than the new color scheme.

By the time it's time for the next 10 year refurbishment, most probably won't want to turn loose of the new look.

One thing is for certain, the HOA/BOD wasn't going to please everyone. We all bought the original decor and everyone was happy with it. Now it's time to change and everyone didn't buy the new look, so there will always be some disagreement. I know the HOA put in a lot of time and, after the original test unit was done, they went back to the drawing board and made changes. It was a tough job to do and I feel sorry if the HOA/BOD takes any flack over the new look.

Vacation1

TUG Member
Reaction score
well stated dougp :) I agree on the odd colors, but they are refreshing. Not what I would pick for my home but I like the units. I also agree you are never going to please everyone.

We've stayed in Kingfish after the soft refurb - it does actually grow on you - light and airy - never stayed in main section so we're trying that this year - if we get Pompano we'll have the old furnishings to compare.

jjluhman

TUG Member
Reaction score
well stated dougp :) I agree on the odd colors, but they are refreshing. Not what I would pick for my home but I like the units. I also agree you are never going to please everyone.

I actually like the colors, it is the straight lines and cold feeling that I get from them that I don't like. It is just my personal preference, and like you said the decor will never please everyone. I like to walk into a resort and feel like I could live there. The old decor did that for me. It felt very warm, but still beachy. I don't get the feeling of home, or beach resort from the "modern" furnishings.

sandytoes

TUG Member
Reaction score
For those who said they will be arriving here this weekend . . . lots of "haunting" stuff going on. The staff came tricker treating tonight dressed in costumes and giving us candy :)

They have a very well done haunted house that will be up and running for the next 5 nights. Everyone is having a fun time. There is a small charge that goes to a local charity Ocean Point is promoting.

This really is a very pleasant resort where they are always trying to do new things for the guest. The staff members are all very friendly. Makes you feel good staying here . . . thanks!

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Last edited:

sandytoes

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've had 20 to 30 MPH winds and at times pouring rain for the past 2 days . . . should be getting better soon . . . I hope. Saturday, early the surf was like a mirror . . perfectly calm . . .winds started picking up and Sunday was extremely rough and I suspect today will be more of the same . . . windly all night. It will get better :)

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Where are you, dioxide? Is it bad?

We are at Ocean Pointe also. The weather since our arrival Saturday afternoon has been pretty awful. We flew in to FLL around noon and then went to see a movie at an AMC theater. We came out of the movie to find a lake in the parking lot in front of the theater. One guy was walking through it and the water was up to his mid calf. Luckily our car was okay, but we had to walk around the lake to get to it.

We stopped at Red Lobster (for Endless Shrimp :) ) and it started to pour rain again as we were getting ready to leave. As Sandytoes indicated, the winds yesterday were very strong, and it was rainy and cloudy all day. The surf is at least six feet. We hope it blows out of here real soon. We cruise on Oasis of the Seas on Saturday, so we want calm waters at least by then.

Smooth Air

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's good to hear that the storm has passed.

I hope Dioxide and Sandytoes have sunny skies for the duration.
And, calm seas for your cruise, Di.

Smooth Air:cool:

jerseyfinn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MMB MVO
. . . I tend not to like the retro look and definitely not the 50's look, but I love the new decor. It is light, airy, refreshing and while I would never pick the colors they did, it all works well IMHO. . . . I think you will change you mind on the decor when you see it in person. I love it, seem very upscale.

Thanks for the picture posts. They really tell the story and I agree that the new look is fresh and invigorating. I can definitely see an influence from Oceana Palms in the sense that they are going for a crisper feel with the colors, headboards, and DR lights etc. This definitely gives Ocean Pointe a new lease on life. The shower is a huge improvement.

We're arriving on Friday for a week long stay which will stretch into the following weekend as well -- never turn down a chance to enjoy the sun and sand ;) . How often are they giving tours of the new Sailfish look?

Barry

sandytoes

TUG Member
Reaction score
Barry, The tours have been once a week as part of the owner's reception with Cheryl Reid or Read (formerly Moore), the General Manager. I think it is usually on a Monday . . at least that is the pattern for the past two Mondays. I love the new deco . . . glad someone else does too. This is such a great resort . . love it here and will be sad to leave on Saturday :-(

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
It looks like there will be a new Publix just across the bridge on Blue Heron Blvd beside the Loggerhead Marina. Huge new building. It doesn't look like it is open yet, but will be closer for those staying at Ocean Pointe and Oceana Palms to get groceries vs. the drive north on 1A to the Publix at the intersection of 1A and US1.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
Carmine's is still great

We just had another great meal at Carmine's La Trattoria last night. They currently are offering a special on most of their beef, veal and lamb chops for $29 with salad and side. The 8 oz. filet was excellent, as were the swordfish and snapper. We plan to return on Saturday when our daughter is here.

From what I've heard, unfortunately Max & Eddie's has continued its decline, and we've been told that even their pizza is no longer good. We had great pizza earlier in the week from Romana Pizza, and they deliver on Singer Island.

We plan to go to City Place tonight. Does anyone have any restaurant recommendations for the family?

Smooth Air

TUG Member
Reaction score
Superchief,
Thanks for the tip about Romana Pizza.
We used to go to Max & Eddie's but not anymore. I cannot believe the place is still open. They have lost so much business in the past 2-3 years.

Did you take a taxi to Carmine's? Or, drive? Even though we always rent a car when we are @ OP, we like to take taxis for dinner. We have not been to Carmine's in a while so shd head back there during our next OP visit.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
Superchief,
Thanks for the tip about Romana Pizza.
We used to go to Max & Eddie's but not anymore. I cannot believe the place is still open. They have lost so much business in the past 2-3 years.

Did you take a taxi to Carmine's? Or, drive? Even though we always rent a car when we are @ OP, we like to take taxis for dinner. We have not been to Carmine's in a while so shd head back there during our next OP visit.

We drove because we usually have a car. In order to find it on Garmin, you have to enter La Trattoria, not Carmine's. If I don't use Garmin, I almost always drive past it. It wan't very crowded last night, but all our meals were good. We have had occasional service lapses there, but the food is always good and prices are fair. We also like to get carryout at Bonefish when we shop at Publix, and then enjoy our meal on the balcony with a good bottle of wine ($12 at Costco, $50 in a restaurant). Life is good.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
What happened to the Pizza Hut Express?

What happened to the Pizza Hut Express? Walked by earlier today and there was no sign, no menu. Peered in and someone was making sandwiches, probably to sell in the Marketplace.

This was a handy onsite quick bite to eat, not happy to see it go.

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sandytoes, great photos, thanks for posting. Quick question; is the room with the couch the 2nd bedroom or the master? If it is the second bedroom, it looks like the square footage is larger than the master. Are the patios connected off the bedrooms?

Thanks!

Lardan

Reaction score
We hope all there have a great time, guess the only hinderance would be the weather. We truly love that resort and looking forward to our next visit this coming June.

With the pizza closing, are you refering to the one actually on the resort? My kids won't like that.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
We hope all there have a great time, guess the only hinderance would be the weather. We truly love that resort and looking forward to our next visit this coming June.

With the pizza closing, are you refering to the one actually on the resort? My kids won't like that.

Yes, the onsite Pizza Hut Express that was located in the clubhouse building by the two main pools.