• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

At Newport Coast now, slightly disappointed, any questions?

Cathyb

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We're EOY charter owners and it's been four years since we stayed here -- what a difference (on the downside)! Pandemonium was at Check-in Sunday, 3pm. Outside Lobby road trying to handle many newly arriving guests in cars, bellhops with their mobile golf carts, walking 'residents' everywhere -- all on this narrow street! Confusion at its best.

We attempted to use the Express Check-in, got half done but since our unit wasn't ready we were ushered into a very crowded Lobby. After about 45 minutes :bawl: I waited in line, then asked if we could at least put our defrosting food into the refrigerator in the unit. It was a big secret what unit number we were assigned -- they 'could only tell us the building'. Finally the unit was finished cleaning and a great bellhop took our many suitcases/grocery items to our unit.

Question to Marriott: Why can't there be advanced registration like at Desert Spring Villas I, where you pick up pre-assigned packet at a designated location and proceed to your building at a designated time.

The other confusion was at the inside Check-in desk. There were four employees but is was owner's guess which line would move the fastest. Why not have a single line like banks do?

Now that I got that off my chest ;) , our Unit 2326 was clean, sofabed had signs of wear and a little saggy. Was hoping for 3rd floor but got 2nd, view was peek-aboo between buildings below us. Internet was easy to get going and free. Weather is 75-79, perfect. Pool had zillions of families in it and we were given yellow wristband to wear while in pool. Happy they are trying to control who is in pool :cheer: . Had a good saxophone player for 2 hrs near the pool on Sunday -- nice, relaxing music.

Heading to Welcome Orientation this morning. This wasn't in the Activities brochure, given to owners only -- so we'll see if this is the 'gotcha' sales group using a different tactic.:deadhorse:

Open for questions. :)

Valleykat

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Cathy. I'm sorry you're week has not gotten off to the best start. We stayed there the week of July 18-25 and had a very positive experience overall. I wrote a review with the details in the members section.

I'm curious. Were you trying to check in early? We attempted to check in at around 2:30 on a Friday. There was no wait at the reservation desk. Our room wasn't ready so we headed to Pavilions up the road. We had barely pulled into the parking lot when they called us to say our room was ready. Back to the lobby. Again, no wait. It's about 3:15 by this point. We weren't satisfied with the initial unit they had put us in, so I expressed my dissatisfacion that an owner would be given such a poor location and we were moved to an excellent unit. I think the key is to call ahead at least 2 weeks in advance. At least that's what they told me. Or make a lot of noise like I did (well, not literally). I had researched the units ahead of time and knew what I wanted and didn't want. I was thrilled when they granted it. When I went by the lobby on Sunday afternoon and spotted the girl who had helped us secure a better unit, I wanted to thank her. It was really crowded, but there was only one line formed, so I guess it depends on how it gets going, but they should try to control it themselves. I was scolded by the next person in line when I approached the desk to thank the girl.

You will enjoy the music by the pool. They have live music every night. The sax player should be there again this evening. We didn't attend the orientation. One great benefit we took advantage of was having the shuttle take us to and from dinner. If you call, you can reserve it, and then you don't have to worry about driving around Laguna or Newport looking for a parking spot or having an extra glass of wine with dinner. I hope your stay looks up from here. We had similar lovely weather during our stay.

Bill4728

Reaction score
You will enjoy the music by the pool. They have live music every night. The sax player should be there again this evening.

When we have been there, they said that Norm Douglas (the sax player) would be there only on Sundays. We sure have enjoyed him in our four visits to the resort !

Cathyb

TUG Member
Reaction score
valleykat: Thanks for the thumbs up! We are getting used to it all now -- however for other Tuggers, Bldg. 2300 is a long walk uphill to just about everything. I did request choice of six bldgs right after I got the reservations and again about a month ago, but didn't get any of them.

We are going to the Annual meeting 9/25. I will have some questions of the Board. Didn't I read a policy of not placing towel or magazine on pool lounge and leaving it for hours? As we came back from our meeting, half the lounges were 'reserved' and not one soul around. Hmmmmm?

Still trying to get used to such a large complex. We bought when there was NO building at all -- 8-9 yrs ago?

Cathyb

TUG Member
Reaction score
bill-you are right -- he said Sundays only and the activity sheet supports that too.

Bill4728

Reaction score
RE checkin

We've exchanged into NCV 4 times in the past three years. Have found that if we get there around check in time, the best thing to do is drop off my DW at the lobby then park near the 3800 bldg ( two bldgs over from the main lobby area.)

PS it worked out once that I didn't even have to move the car as we got a room in the 3900 bldg!!

PSS IMHO the 3800 & 3900 bldgs are the best two bldgs at the resort. Close to the main lobby, pool ect, great parking, every room has a full ocean view!!

Don't any of you request that bldg for a Nov 16th checkin since we'll want it for yourselves LOL

Last edited:

Valleykat

TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess we got lucky, because he played on Sunday and Monday nights when we were there. We really enjoyed the steel drums too.

I did request choice of six bldgs right after I got the reservations and again about a month ago, but didn't get any of them.
That is just not right IMO.

On checkout day, we inadvertently were given an invoice for another unit in our building. These guests were charged $600/night plus $50/tax for 2 weeks. They could have bought a timeshare for that!

applegirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I did request choice of six bldgs right after I got the reservations and again about a month ago, but didn't get any of them.

That is terrible! What are they thinking?!?! :eek:
I hope you seriously complained about not having your requests honored. That's just wrong.

I hope you have a terrific week. We will be there in two weeks!

Janna

Par

Reaction score
Newport Coast Villas

We go every year in late August but this year we went from Sept. 27-Oct. 11 and received a nice location. We were respectful and checked out at 9:00am so that the maids could start the cleaning for that next family. It is hard for front desk to give everyone their first choice but they try. One year we traded with someone else in line as they wanted a sunset view and we wanted an ocean view so front desk accommodated us both and all were happy. NCV are now selling for $37,000. We bought in 2002 and wished we had purchased 2 weeks then.