• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

At Marriott Monarch now

pcgirl54

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
The weather has been overcast this week 79-82 degrees and we apparently are at the end of love bug season. They are flying everywhere. This is our first September visit. We normally come in late May-early June or early October.

The beach is nice and wide but at high tide there is little beach and only 10% of the beach is soft sand. There are lots of teeny sugar ants that bite and normal size flies that bite. I have been coming to HHI for 8 years and this is the first time we experienced this. I left the beach today because of the bites. DH found a palmetto bug in the kitchen last night. So it is a buggy week.

Units at Monarch have been redone and upgraded nicely far better than the last refurb. I can see the ocean from our room. This is our first Monarch stay as we normally stay at Barony. There are 3 pools here and one of them is a heated lap pool. Very nice indeed. The gym is nice too and the staff is very friendly.

We rented bikes for 17pp for the week.

bobcat

TUG Member
Reaction score
The weather has been overcast this week 79-82 degrees and we apparently are at the end of love bug season. They are flying everywhere. This is our first September visit. We normally come in late May-early June or early October.

The beach is nice and wide but at high tide there is little beach and only 10% of the beach is soft sand. There are lots of teeny sugar ants that bite and normal size flies that bite. I have been coming to HHI for 8 years and this is the first time we experienced this. I left the beach today because of the bites. DH found a palmetto bug in the kitchen last night. So it is a buggy week.

Units at Monarch have been redone and upgraded nicely far better than the last refurb. I can see the ocean from our room. This is our first Monarch stay as we normally stay at Barony. There are 3 pools here and one of them is a heated lap pool. Very nice indeed. The gym is nice too and the staff is very friendly.

We rented bikes for 17pp for the week.

We were at Surfwatch the first week of Sept. No bug problems. Weather was great. By the middle the of week, several people left to go home. We like the Fri check in. We go this week every year. Next year, same week at the Barony. Enjoy.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
We'll be at Barony on Friday, hope the love bugs are gone by then. Last year we had this week (today's, I mean) and there weren't any bugs, but we did spend a week at Disney one September and those things were annoying!

pcgirl54

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
The locals have said that love bugs are here for 2 weeks and that last week was far worse and we are now at the end of it. It is hard to sit by the pool and keep swatting them.

It's really the ants and flies at the beach that bite that are getting to me. I love the beach.

Bobcat-I decided to try September because of your past comments on visiting then. It made sense that the waters are warmer at summer's end than May when I normally visit.

Everyday DH and I say how much we love it here. I have not found a place like it as yet. I love the foliage and the serenity.

We get so lazy I don't even want to drive 10 miles to visit anywhere.

The sun peaks out later in the afternoon.

applegirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm so sorry you are having so many bug problems! That would certainly put a damper on beach and pool time. I hope you still have a nice time. Any chance you will post pictures of the resort? would love to hear more details aobut it!

Enjoy,
Janna

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
... It's really the ants and flies at the beach that bite that are getting to me. I love the beach. ...

Everyday DH and I say how much we love it here. I have not found a place like it as yet. I love the foliage and the serenity.

We get so lazy I don't even want to drive 10 miles to visit anywhere.

I hope you're having a better beach day today. Have they raked or something recently, to bring up the bugs? We haven't come across them in either September or May. My fingers are crossed that your week finishes bug-free and we'll be the same next week!

Don and I feel the same way as you and your husband do, it gets harder to leave each time we visit. One of these times, if we can manage to drag ourselves a short distance, we'll look for retirement land just off-island. We think there is simply no better peace or relaxing life than the Hilton Head area.

I see you're from MA. Be prepared when you return, it's been quite chilly (40's) in the mornings this week and the sun doesn't warm things up until early afternoon.

Susan

pcgirl54

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
Sue
Did not notice you are from MA also. 40 degrees I want to just cry. We have been riding bikes everyday. Sun comes out late afternoon. Go the the beach early as it is high tide by mid afternoon so you can't ride on the beach.

You have got to try The Sea Shack . The locals eat there and the fish is fresh. Street is parallel to Pope Ave headed toward SP Circle it is on the right. If you drive past The Studio you have passed it.It is not fancy in any way. It's kinda run down but the place has a line for lunch and dinner. It cost us just $23 including tax and of course Sweet Tea.

We met a nice couple there from Memphis who have been coming here for 10 yrs and are closing on a house in Sun City this week. We had a nice chat and they own at GO. OF course I told them about Tug.

The beach bugs bite me at South Beach area today. Bring something with Deet. You may be ok if you buy chairs and not sit on the beach. The brush is all over the place at high tide and I think that is what attracts the flies and ants. Never had this happen on any other trip.

We just want to stay here and never go back. I love this place.

CLIFFTOPS

TUG Member
Reaction score
glad you are enjoying monarch
our favorite hh resort
will be there two weeks in oct and two weeks in nov.
always make the sea shack a once or twice a week eatery.
the food is great.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Is there view categories at the Monarch?

I've never seen any referenced, is there OF and OS designations at the Marriott Monarch?

Regards.
Joe

CLIFFTOPS

TUG Member
Reaction score
all rooms have some view of ocean. the lay out is a horseshoe shape and the further you are on the end of the horseshoe, the better the ocean view. there is one building that has oceanfront units
actually the beat rooms are not oceanfront in my opinion as you have a beautiful garden view on the sides as well as a view of the ocean.
you are never more than a few steps from the beach in any location at monarch.

capstoneds

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyone looked at a Monarch penthouse unit lately?

Curious to know if anyone has seen a penthouse unit lately. Supposedly 3000 square feet ocean front. Not sure if there is just one of these units, or several.

Cathyb

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why do they call those bugs ' Love bugs' and what exactly are they? In Southern California I don't think we have those guys!!!

pcgirl54

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
I forgot to add I am in the Magnolia Bldg on the 4th of 5 floors next to the lobby. We asked for a view and a high floor and got it.

Even though there is a tree in front of the sliders we can see the ocean from two sides. I own a HH Marriott but this was an RCI exchange.

Dogwood and Camelia are the names of the other buildings.

Joe
Azalea is the OF bldg. I wanted to ask about that Penthouse and will do it today. We thought it likely would be in the OF bldg.

I thought these are fixed weeks but I do not know if they all are. I can see why someone would want to stay here. Older than the other OF Marriotts but it suits us just fine.

Someone told me about a place like Sea Shack near Sun City. Anyone know the name?

After 8 yrs I am still discovering little places in hidden pockets.

We rode bikes past Coral Sands and Waterside TS. Waterside looked really nice. Clean like the Marriotts from the outside anyway.

Rode bikes past the beautiful 1st row homes in North Forest Beach past Coligny. Range is 3-5 million. Toward South Beach there are renovations of roofs and a couple of massive new homes on double lots with 3-4 car garages on the lagoon. So although the economy is down we have noticed home improvements on many parts of the island.

Shopped at our favorite Fresh Market for meat and desserts. I love that place. I heard yesterday that is does more volume than it's other locations.

pcgirl54

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach
Penthouse Unit

Curious to know if anyone has seen a penthouse unit lately. Supposedly 3000 square feet ocean front. Not sure if there is just one of these units, or several.

I found out that the penthouse unit is a 3bd unit 3855 in the Azalea Building but not listed on any map of the resort per the front desk. The rep did not have any other info as she is not sales staff.