• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

At Ko'Olina - reporting in

pacheco18

TUG Member
Reaction score
The new building is open and occupied - there is a separate pool bar and pool area (open to all guests) which we will visit later today (after the Swap Meet)

This is the first time I got my exact villa request - one of the coveted rooms in building one that have a dead on view of the water -- and wow. There is an extra room in the front area and two lanais. The view is truly spectacular.

I notice some cutbacks since last year.
No lei greeting in the welcome center
No welcome packet of goodies
No invitation to take a time share tour (we will take one at Waiohai next week anyway)

Then there is the pool bar - prices are up. We had dinner there last night.
Keep in mind that I was born and raised in NYC and I do not get food sticker shock but . . we each had one mai tai and one sandwich (substituted cole slaw for fries) and it was $60 without tip).

Nothing can interfere with paradise - even the price of food. Aloha

Cathyb

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
$60!!! :eek:

pacheco18

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yep

I think for almost that I can have the breakfast buffet at the Royal Hawaiian.
I feel for people who are here with kids -

Good thing we are not big drinkers - at $10 a mai tai it's an expensive habit - except there are all those Marriott points for each drink LOL

I look at this philosophically - we have a week here and a week at Waiohai for free (for the cost of maintenance fees) and free first class airfare with my miles. i traded my Shadow Ridge for Waiohai and got a bonus week.

All in all it's stil a good deal.

thinze3

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the room! What a way to start a vacation in paradise. Truly enjoy your stay.

Terry :D

ciscogizmo1

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Shadow Ridge, Timber Lodge & Waiohai
Westin: Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Villas
Disney: Beach Club Villas & Bay Lake Towers
Curious is the pool slide open? Yikes on the food... Isn't great that you are staying in a timeshare where you can make your own food and drinks. I think, that is a HUGE benefit. We'll be there in November.

Let us know how the rest of your week goes. And, you'll love Waiohai as well.

calberry

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Timber Lodge, Lake Tahoe (2 weeks)
Marriott Ko Olina, Oahu, Hi. EOY
UVC, Villa del Arco, Cabo San Lucas, Mexico.EOY
Is there a BBQ area at the new bldg? That would be a long walk over to the other bldgs. if not.

Thx

Steve

jmatias

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is a barbeque area for the new Nai'a building. If facing the ocean, its at the left side of the building.

Jen

calberry

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Timber Lodge, Lake Tahoe (2 weeks)
Marriott Ko Olina, Oahu, Hi. EOY
UVC, Villa del Arco, Cabo San Lucas, Mexico.EOY
There is a barbeque area for the new Nai'a building. If facing the ocean, its at the left side of the building.

Jen

Great! Plan to ask for that building on our stay in Sept.

Thanks

Steve

pacheco18

TUG Member
Reaction score
I see others answered your questions so I will turn to the economy

FYI - tourism in Hawaii is really suffering.

We hit all our favorite shopping haunts yesterday to get it out of the way and now we can just relax and drink $10 mai tais

The Swap Meet had about 2/3 of the booths and 1/2 the foot traffic. We have a friend who has a booth there and he told us how bad things are.

Lunch at Sam Choy was fabulous - as always - and 1/2 the price of our two sandwiches at the resort LOL

If you have military privileges, the Base Exchange is the best in the country. Do not miss it. Not only do they sell tons of high end stuff but they have big sales on Tommy Bahama, Coach etc. on top of the normal discount (and no tax).

Only the Japanese are buying anything substantial. The yen is strong to the dollar and all the designer merchandise is a bargain for them.

We will spend our last night in Hawaii (after Waiohai) at the Moana Surfrider (our favorite hotel). The price went down $100 a night from the time I originally booked until just before I left (luckily i was able to get a refund and rebook)

Aloha all

Laraine