TUG Review Crew: Expert
- Jun 6, 2005
- Reaction score
- Central NJ
They have now moved us to the Frenchman's Reef hotel since the Cove does not have generators. The power is supposed to be cut off to this area at 6pm EDT. Unfortunately they charged us $179 for the move to the Reef which does have generators.
The aiport closed this morning so we could not get out today. We called Continental and changed our ressies out until tomorrow afternoon but who knows???
The main impact on the island so far is rain. No wind yet but the storm is moving SO slowly it isnt expected to impact us with winds until in the early AM tomorrow morning.
The restaurants are all working but the beach and pool areas are closed. We happened to get a room on the 8th floor facing the ocean but they have locked metal shutters on the slide in windows facing the ocean so we cannot see it!!!
For now its a waiting game. I have never wanted to be home so badly.
We do have plenty of Cruzan Rum to tide us over!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hi Gore95, I can't believe they charged you in order for you to move and keep safe. I think this is disgraceful and so irresponsible on their part. I would send a letter to the CEO, is it Mr. Marriott?, and complain long, hard, and loudly.
I just returned from the Cove and was there this past week. I'll try to answer some of the questions I have seen posted. The weather was interesting this past week. Luckily everything turned out well but we certainly did prepare. We chose not to pay 189/night to move to the Reef hotel but I agree that they should never have charged folks staying at the Cove that rate. Power went off at midnight and was on by morning. No other real issues. Can't believe there is no back up generator at the Cove and may need to be addressed by owners board.
The Pueblo grocery store was fine I think the other food store is a little further and more difficult to get to.
You need to rent a car. Taxis are expensive. 263.00 at dependable car rental for the week for a Corolla - 4 people fit all of our luggage and did fine. Don't really need a Jeep. Can't take corollas over to St John. We rented a Jeep while we were there and it worked out a little better actually.
More flexibility with Ferry schedule.
After the weather week we had we still really had a wonderful time on St.Thomas. Bought some jewelry - missing the island already....I'll try to answer any other questions that might arise.
The handicap issue is tough - there are a lot of steps anywhere you may go- not a really accessible place in general. lots of hills - the resort does have elevators but there can be lots of walking other places.....
Now I am really concerned. Steps kill one of our guests. They are not great for my DH nor I either. Last time we were down by the beach and we requested a truck pull up to the back of the restaurant by the beach and take us to the hotel lobby. There was no way my DH was going to do those steps again.
The new registration center is not yet opened so check-in is still in Bldg. 1. Nothing appears to have changed with the dock and "reef" section.
I am currently on hold with Continental to see about getting out earlier tomorrow...we are currently STT-SJU at 3:50 and then SJU-EWR at 6:05. Omar is forecast to be a strong Tropical Storm or Cat 1 Hurricane hitting tomorrow late afternoon evening!
Hi Gore95, We are doing the Cape Air route to SJU in January and then on CO to EWR as well. I thought I had discovered something myself but obviously others found the fare difference as well. Can you please share your experiences with Cape Air? Did you figure it out yourself or is the fare difference written someplace on the web as a great deal? I'm curious since I didn't find any site that recommended Cape Air.