• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Assisted Living in Mexico or other countries

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
An interesting idea- for a stand alone resort. I couldn't imagine the appeal of vacationing at a resort that shares it's facility with an assisted living premises.

Similarly, I saw on TV (so it must be true) an adult community (including assisted living) on a cruise ship that travels the world. There are also people who simply pay a monthly rate to live aboard cruise ships. I understand it's a buy-in thing for a million bucks or so and you have to have a net worth of several million more.

The problem would arise- as it eventually will for all of us should we live long enough- when the need for medical care beyond what is considered 'assisted living'.

Now, Puerto Vallarta may well have good enough medical care at private hospitals, but know that it's 100% private pay. Your U.S. or Canadian Gov't health care system won't be of any help, and evacuation and repatriation insurance is fairly dear.

No doubt there is interest in such a product. Baby boomers who have already downsized and abhor winter would be prime candidates.

I'd watch this with some interest.

Jim

spirits

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Banff Rocky Mountain Resort
Thinking about this for years

As our population ages and medical costs become more prohibitive...I am surprised that governments do not consider "outsourcing" aging baby boomers and their medical needs to cheaper countries.
"They should ship us all to Mexico, with their good medically educated doctors, low cost of living , good weather and abundant low cost workers" is something I have mentioned to my long suffering husband over the years. (I just showed him this article and he agrees I was right again....:p) I live in Canada where sunny warm winters have called many of my peers down south to escape our cold ones....we call them snowbirds and many of my friends have turned into them.
Now, I am a contrarian, working part time past retirement because I love my job, love the winters and hate golf:D
I do not want to leave my home for an extended time, love my grown children being close and over for dinner once a week.
But as we age, I wonder if this scenario will actively promoted by governments looking to cut costs. I agree that this might be an interesting topic.

flexible

TUG Member
Reaction score
An interesting idea-

Now, Puerto Vallarta may well have good enough medical care at private hospitals, but know that it's 100% private pay. Your U.S. or Canadian Gov't health care system won't be of any help, and evacuation and repatriation insurance is fairly dear.

Jim

MEDICAL TOURISM IN MEXICO

http://www.hospitalcmq.com/medical-tourism-in-mexico.html
Mexico has more than a dozen destinations specializing in medical tourism, where tourism providers come together with medical care of the highest quality to for care in the specialties of oncology, orthopedics, cardiology, general surgery, plastic surgery and gastroenterology.

The International Joint Commission has accredited many hospitals in our country. In turn, the Federal Ministry of Health has certified 105 hospitals, 98 of which are certified to international standards.

Medical Tourism in Mexico is staffed by highly qualified doctors and nurses to provide quality care and world class service through an extensive hospital infrastructure with cutting-edge medical technology.

Medical checkups, preventive care, specialized surgery and the recovery process of our tourists are fostered and monitored at all times with warmth and professionalism by our specialized tour operators, creating a pleasant and safe stay in our country. To complete the process in an optimal way, we have the best conditions for full recovery: diverse climate depending on the area, from warm to temperate with healthy and regulated environments, hotels and tourist destinations internationally recognized for their diversity and appeal.

Because of this, Mexico is now within the top five countries for medical tourism worldwide. Puerto Vallarta took first place for medical tourism in Mexico in 2012, surpassing even Cancun and the Riviera Maya, and is now looking forward to advancing to first place in all Latin America in 2013.

--------------------
Most private hospitals in PV/NV have employees who will bill Antem/Blue Cross - using their Blue World Card International form which is one of the more common US health insurance companies. I saw Premier's brochures that listed about 15 insurance companies they will bill. Their procedure is to place a hold on the patient's credit card to guarantee their payment. They sometimes receive payment in under a week depending on the insurance policies. I don't know about Canadian insurance.

I was amazed to learn how many new private hospitals have built additional hospitals recently. Most people are aware of San Xavier Hospital in the Marina. San Xavier Hospital now has a larger hospital at Paradise Village in Nuevo Vallarta. Vidanta/Grand Mayan etc arranges free transportation to San Xavier Hospital in NV paid for by the concierge desk at the hospital. Premier Hospital has two facilities, one close to the Marina, one downtown PV and a new one opening in Nuevo Vallarta. Cornerstone Hospital close to the Marina across from Los Tules. There are possibly ten more private hospitals in PV now.

Dori

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think that enabling seniors to go to warmer climes during winter is a fabulous idea. We are snowbirds, spending over three months in Florida during the winter months. When I see the vitality of the older folks at our 55 plus mobile home park, I can't help but think, if they were up north in the cold and snow, they would be in much poorer health.

The social networks are stimulating. The pool and golf course are excellent for exercise and just being out walking in the fresh air (without fear of falling on the ice or snow), promote good health.

We have 90 year-olds who golf every day. Life would be very different for them is they were at home in the cold and snow.

Dori

flexible

TUG Member
Reaction score
Have people seen assisted living companies operating in part of all of some timeshare resorts yet?

http://mexicoassistedliving.com at Las Palmas Hotel (next to Plaza Pelicanos)

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopi...isted_Living_in_Vallarta-Puerto_Vallarta.html

We visited Las Palmas Hotel today. The concierge stated that the program described on http://mexicoassistedliving.comattracted a few people who were interested in touring the property but apparently there was insufficient interest in the program so it does not exist at their hotel.

spirits

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Banff Rocky Mountain Resort
Wait

We visited Las Palmas Hotel today. The concierge stated that the program described on http://mexicoassistedliving.comattracted a few people who were interested in touring the property but apparently there was insufficient interest in the program so it does not exist at their hotel.

This is from a previous post...sorry have not figured out how to copy it....all I have to say is.....wait.......if it can be sold by a salesman...they will figure out how to monetize:eek: it