• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Asking for a Cash Discount

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We needed to buy a new refrigerator. I was almost positive of the brand and model we wanted, the new LG French Door with the 12" high water in the door. We went to look for it yesterday. List price is $2598. +/-.

We decided to look at Lowe's, Pacific Sales, and R C Willey (a large furniture and appliance store here). Lowe's didn't have it.

Pacific Sales had several models, including the one we wanted. We were "dressed down," as it was cold. The sales lady immediately offered us 24 months same as cash. We said we could pay cash if there was a discount for it. We got the fridge for $2565. out the door, including tax, delivery and haul away of the old fridge, hookup of the water line, and a 5-year warranty. All we had to do was ask! I'm glad we did.

I've never had a refrigerator this expensive in my life, or any appliance, for that matter. But it is the fridge of my dreams, and how many more am I going to have at my age anyway?

Fern

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yay!

At first it looks like you only saved a tiny amount, but once you factor in the tax, delivery, hook up, etc, you saved a lot more.

I look for appliances that have a small scratch or dent somewhere that won't show - it's always worth a discount.

djs

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm missing something. Are you telling us you received a $33 discount from list price for a cash purchase on a multi-thousand dollar purchase?

The $2,598 price was before tax, delivery, hook-up and removal of the old one. Nevada has different sales tax rates depending on the county, but in Clark County the rate is 7.75% (which is where the NV location of the store is). Sales tax would be approximately $195; I would imagine the other add-ons are probably worth at least $150 more.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I too wondered about what seemed like a paltry discount for cash, but if that's what it is, that's what it is. DW and I have had some 'reefer envy' over that very unit, but our place for it is not wide enough to fit it well. Our 8-year old Amana bottom freezer is still chugging along, and looks just like a new one. The current issue of Consumer Reports said the LG French door was so ineffecient that they wouldn't even rate it. It's still a (pardon the pun) cool reefer.

Jim Ricks

Fern Modena

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
You *are* missing something. Before you add in the tax, service contract and hookup fee, we saved almost $300., and delivery was free and included haul off, which some places don't do.

Fern

I'm missing something. Are you telling us you received a $33 discount from list price for a cash purchase on a multi-thousand dollar purchase?

Keitht

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
What is a 'hookup' fee for a fridge? Don't you just plug it in?

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score

Many refrigerators, including the new one in the original post, have through-the-door water and ice. That means a plumbing hookup, too.

ricoba

TUG Member
Reaction score

I am assuming that it would be the delivery, set up, plugging in and installing the water line for the ice maker. At least that would be my guess.

falmouth3

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
It always pays to ask for more. My former mother in law was quite the wheeler-dealer. I wished that I could have spent more time with her to learn her craft. My attitude is that if I don't ask, I won't get it. And if they say no, I haven't lost anything.

My DH also found out that you can do better on things like our heating oil. He called to ask a question on our annual contract, but not challenging the terms. They immediately offered him a better deal. That was an eye-opener so he calls every year to ask for a better deal and he gets it!

Sue

djs

TUG Member
Reaction score
It always pays to ask for more. My former mother in law was quite the wheeler-dealer. I wished that I could have spent more time with her to learn her craft. My attitude is that if I don't ask, I won't get it. And if they say no, I haven't lost anything.

My DH also found out that you can do better on things like our heating oil. He called to ask a question on our annual contract, but not challenging the terms. They immediately offered him a better deal. That was an eye-opener so he calls every year to ask for a better deal and he gets it!

Sue

I was with a friend in NYC a few years back and she was looking at some earings and asked how much it would cost, the person in the store pulled out a scale and weighed them and then came up with a price. My response was "that's not your best price" and sure enough they then became $25 cheaper. That probably speaks more to the way business is conducted, but nothing ventured, nothing gained. My friend was surprised one could negotiate the price.

MuranoJo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've always been successful negotiating for appliances, cash or credit. My sister was along once when I was buying a washer/dryer unit and was embarrassed, though I handled it very respectfully. She just refuses to do this, even though she has to live very frugally.

Also pays to watch what time of the month and year you go in, as obviously they are more willing to negotiate at certain times.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I bought a car for my daughter in 1996 when she was commuting to Univ of Washinton. I set a budget of $5k before we set foot out the door.

When we got to the dealer (Honda) we saw a small Toyota on the lot, relatively new with low mileage. It was a good car for her but it was stickered at just under $10K; I figured we they would probably go to $8500. But we started talking with the sales person about it anyway.
It was such a good car for her, I decided I could stretch a little bit for it.

I started out at $6k and went up to $6.5k. But that was my limit. The saleslady kept trying to to get me to go higher. So I finally got a bit upset and told her that I was already into this for $15000 more than what I had budgeted before I arrived and, nice as the tar was, I really couldn't go any higher. If $6500 didn't work, then we needed to move on.

She said "OK, let me discuss this with the sales manager." As she walked away I told DD we just bought you a car. She looked at me and saind "No way." I said, "Nope. They're going to sell it to us." About five minutes laater she comes back with the countersigned offer.

As we're leaving DD (who is pretty sharp) looks at me and says, "that was $1000 less than I would have made as my opening offer".

She's now married and DD and SIL are still driving the car. In fact, until earlier this year it was their primary vehicle. They've driven it to Cabo and back, up and down the west coast numerous times, across the country a couple of times. It just keeps going.

Probably the best value in any car purchase I've ever made.

Ann-Marie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Summit @ Massunetten, Sheraton Desert Oasis
Fern, you will love it, love it, love it! We had to quickly buy a new refrig when our old one died. We bought the LG french door with 2 bottom freezer draws in stainless steel. My DH wheels and deals with the local appliance store. We got it for $2850, installed with removal of old one. And, LG was offering a special rebate of $75 for the installation. The scary part was that we only had 1/4 of an inch to spare around the refrig where it had to go. When the delivery people/ installer came, they had to remove my front door, front screen door and basement door to get the refrig in the house. It took them over an hour! We tipped them well! In the end, I really love the refrigerator. I hope you do to.