• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Aruba Surf Club and Ocean Club Palapa Situation

Pamplemousse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are there still restaurants up the beach?
I remember a place I think just next door to surf club with good seafood and outdoor tables.
Also a mall area with several restaurants further up the beach.
Are things pretty much back to precovid?

jwalk03

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Are there still restaurants up the beach?
I remember a place I think just next door to surf club with good seafood and outdoor tables.
Also a mall area with several restaurants further up the beach.
Are things pretty much back to precovid?

Yes there is a restaurant and a bar just outside the pool gate for Surf Club on the beach. We never ate at the restaurant but we did go to the upstairs bar which has happy hours from noon-1PM, 5-6PM & 8-9PM everyday. They have $4 Long Island Ice Teas during happy hour which weren't bad and a bunch of other drink specials as well. There are other restaurants you can walk too along the beach as well.

Yes- I would say everything was "normal". We didn't even take masks with us on our trip at all and nowhere ever asked us to wear one. Some places still have floor markings and some signs and glass dividers but all largely ignored. Saw a handful of people wearing masks voluntarily in the airport and stuff, but VERY FEW and far between. We did a Jeep and UTV tour and it was completely full, people packed into the elevators; restaurants were full, etc.

Maple Leaf

Reaction score
Just returned from a fabulous week at Marriott Aruba Surf Club! All of the beach palapas are reserved online now. You just login to the website provided and select the specific palapa number you wish to book. Booking opens at 7AM each morning for that day and you need to visit the beach hut no later than 10AM to get your ticket and sign for the room charge. If you do not pick it up by 10AM they will rent to someone else. Daily charges are:
Row 1: $20
Row 2/3: $15
Row 4-8: $10
Row 9: $5

Each reservation number is limited to one palapa reservation per day.

The online process was very simple. I only reserved one day but logged in at 6:59, grabbed hut #106 that I wanted and checkout- was done by 7:03 or so. Once you put the hut # in your cart its held for you for a few minutes while you complete your info; so no worries someone else can type faster than you and steal it. I tried to click it a few seconds early and no dice- it became available at exactly 7:00:00 on my Apple Watch. I was able to get the exact front row hut I wanted when I tried- but all the first couple rows were certainly filled everyday. I never saw the back rows even close to filled up so at least in the off season it seems you can always get something maybe just not in the first couple of rows unless you do it right at 7AM.

One other unrelated note- Surf Club is offering a complimentary mid-week cleaning as of 6/1/22. They changed all the bed linens, provided all new towels, and loaded the dishwasher. The card said they would empty the trash too; but ours was not emptied for whatever reason. Not a big deal I am use to emptying it and taking it down the hall to the trash chute.

This was my first trip to Surf Club so nothing to compare it to; but I did not find the resort overly crowded. It was busy of course but we were always able to find pool chairs to tag each day. Luckily we are early risers but even the couple days we didn't go down till in the afternoon we found some chairs; just not prime front row ones. They did not seem to be enforcing the two hour rule at all. Maybe they are stricter about it at busier times than they were during this trip?

Champions Sports Bar at the Ocean Club is permanently closed according to the note on the door. There was construction equipment inside so hopefully they are planning for something new and improved in that space.

Happy to try and answer any questions anyone has.
Thank you for the update. Very reassuring!!!!

elked12

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Aruba Surf Club
Does anyone know the website to go to for palapa reservations at the Surf Club? I know I had it when it first started to test it out but I’ve lost it. Thank you.

vol_90

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Phuket Beach Club, Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Canyon Villas, Desert Springs Villas II, Abound & Asia Pacific Points
Thank you for the update. Very reassuring!!!!
Based on our 2 week trip in September everything back to normal in Aruba. Awesome place to beshaka

elked12

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Aruba Surf Club
Has anyone been using the new reservation system at the surf club? I noticed that there are now two more options to book for an advance booking. What are the differences? Thank you

rmclain73

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone been using the new reservation system at the surf club? I noticed that there are now two more options to book for an advance booking. What are the differences? Thank you
They are now allowing half of the inventory on the first 8 rows to be booked from 5:30pm - 6:30pm the day before. Each morning the remaining half can be booked for rows 1-8 starting at 7:00am. Row 9 can now be booked 7 days in advance. Please note that all reservations require a room number so you cannot book the 7 day advance row 9 until you have checked in.

elked12

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Aruba Surf Club
Thank you for the update. Wow, I did a trial run at 5:32 today and they were all gone already. Only row 9 available.

gln60

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriot Harbour Lake
Abound Points
Any updates on the Palapa reservation system at the Ocean Club?