• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Aruba- deeded or Right-to-use?

WINSLOW

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if Aruba Surf club is deeded or right-to-use? I know it's good until 2030, then what? Are all Aruba timeshares only so many years?
How about St Thomas and St John, are they deeded because part of U.S.?

Also was wondering about St Kitts Beach Club is it also just 20 or 30 years?

I know I should know this, I guess I wasn't paying attention at the time. Other threads have me thinking I should NOW pay attention. Should something happen to us, who has to deal with getting rid of the TS and paying MF's and for how long? Thanks for any help.

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
Both Aruba properties are RTU.
Mine is until 2059 - something like that...

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Ellen- i could be wrong here, but it was my understanding that the Aruba properties, while not deeded, are not the typical RTU wherein there is an expiration date for the ownership (like Disney, etc.) where the property rights return to Marriott.

I was told that the Aruban government does not allow developers to purchase the land; rather, they were given a 60 year lease. The intent is to insure that all properties are maintained. At the end of the lease, the government can either renew the lease (which is considered the likely scenario), in which case the ownership rights of the present owners continue. If the government decides not to renew the lease, it has to pay the Surf Club fair market valuation and the timeshare owners proportionally share the payout.

So, while not a deeded ownership, MOC and MSC owners theoretically are protected, at least to some degree.