• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Arrived at Timber Lodge yesterday afternoon....

Davey54321

TUG Member
Reaction score
...and looks like a lovely resort but we were surprised at the villa we were assigned in Sierra building:the master bedroom and bath smaller than expected and the entire unit lacks a balcony and much natural light (smaller setback windows overlooking pool area). I guess if we come back we should include balcony room in our request?
Vicki

itchyfeet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did you ask if there was another unit available? If we're not satisfied with a unit (at any resort) we always ask nicely if there is another unit that would meet our wishes. Nine times out of ten we can get another unit. If I recall most of the units here don't have balconies.

Davey54321

TUG Member
Reaction score
We didnt ask for another unit...

It was in the building we requested and top floor as we also requested and i am not saying it isnt adequate -its even nice. Just was surprised that the master was smaller and windows throughout were smaller and setback strangely...we almost threw our daughter out of the studio room as it seemed more spacious :)
And yes not all rooms have balconies, which seems odd as well though maybe because this is also a ski/snow resort?

We are enjoying the resort so far....seems to be a great location and we walked down to the private lake beach earlier this morning and that was beautiful as well though the water is still a bit chilly (unlike the resort pools).

GaryDouglas

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean
Club Suites and Villas
The top floors roof line invades the ceiling space to such a degree that we felt hemmed in. Since then, we always asked for a non-top floor unit. I don't remember what the percentage of units are that have balconies, but it's small.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
I believe the 3BR units at Timber Lodge have very small balconies, but that there are very few (if any) 2BR villas with balconies.

Robert D

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Not many units at TL have balconies. There are some 3BR's and 2BR's with balconies and they are not easy to get. I've heard that the top floor is to be avoided as the ceilings are not as tall. That said, TL is one of our favorite resorts.

cinco777

TUG Member
Reaction score
We prefer the top floor 2BR

We stayed at the Timber Lodge for many years with our children during ski season so we could easily access the Gondola to mid-mountain. We are now owners during the Summer (our daughter is a teacher) and recently stayed in a top floor 2BR unit. Yes, the ceilings are sloped in places but I'm 6' and had no problems. My wife and I liked the furniture arrangement in the top floor unit compared to the prior year's first floor unit. We had a Gondola/Mountain view that we especially appreciated at sunrise and sunset.

During all our years staying at the Timber Lodge in 2BR and 1BR units, we never had a balcony. We don't need one at the TL so don't plan on requesting one.

We have an ocean view 1BR with balcony at the Hyatt Highlands Inn where we thoroughly enjoy sitting on our balcony numerous times each day. At the HHI, having a balcony is a real plus.

Davey54321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Enjoyed our stay at Timber Lodge...

And have to love the heavenly location. We probably would request a non top floor villa if/when we return due to the master bedroom shape primarily (and overly loud air handler in that room/roofline?) but all in all the location couldnt be beat.

In terms of balconies, nine times out of ten, if there is a balcony available in a villa, I would always prefer one during the summertime. When we grill/eat in, which we invariably do at least once each stay, I would prefer to sit outside in nice weather (which we have had here in beautiful South Lake Tahoe). As an early riser, I also miss being able to go outside in the early morning...even with a pool view as we have here I wouldnt mind bundling up for some fresh air (and quiet awakening resort time).

We loved going up on the gondola and going for a lake cruise on the MS Dixie II and just driving around the Lake to see all the different views. And even just hanging at the pool and/or one of the many hot tubs was relaxing and enjoyable!

Fairwinds

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Finishing up a week at Timber Lodge. Great resort. Received the requested villa assignment with gondola/Mtn view. I asked for high floor because I find them quieter and got a room with the sloped ceilings and was not bothered by them at all, although it is noticeable. For me it's worth being on the top floor. As previous posters have said balconies appear to be few and far between and they are small. Look to be adequate for two people sitting out with a drink but not for dinning. If a balcony is important it looks like the Grand Residence Club has more balconies per units.

Southdown13

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just finished a week stay in a 1br at TL using an Interval International exchange. At check in, we were assigned a top floor unit with a sloped ceiling that overlooked the pool area. As an alternative, we were offered a second floor unit overlooking the Transportation Center but we decided to stay in the top floor unit.

For two of us, the room was ok, but since our daughter was joining us on the third day, we decided to move to a second floor unit overlooking the pool area in the Alpine Building. We were glad we made the move because it was nice having a separate shower, extra sink, and a little more room. The unit also had new tvs with Directv programming (installation is almost complete for the entire resort).

We had a great stay as usual, enjoyed hiking and biking around the area and look forward to returning next summer.