• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Are you flushing those supposedly "flushable" wipes?

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
You really shouldn't be ....

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Unless you have an unlimited budget for plumbers and Roto-Rooter, DON'T.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Unless you have an unlimited budget for plumbers and Roto-Rooter, DON'T.
Or if you like to pay more fees for discharge to your local sewerage agency or you like to see public sewers plug up and overflow more often.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
People are flushing wipes like crazy these days. Even before the covid 19 toilet paper shortage these wipes have been a problem. I had a call on one of our rentals that the toilet wasn't working. I went over to see what was going on and used a cable to try to unclog the line. First pull was a cable covered in wipes. This didn't clear it. I have a power cable but it wouldn't go through and forcing it usually has bad results. Had to hire out and have the guys dig up the sewer line clean out as the clean out was totally plugged at the baffle. What a mess.

Interesting is that the wipes claim to be flush-able on the package. I know this because I wanted to charge the renters for the clog and they claim these were flush-able because the label said so. The cost was about $500. An amendment was signed to actually state what is permissible to flush, lol.

Bill
wipes.jpg

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
I know this because I wanted to charge the renters for the clog and they claim these were flush-able because the label said so. The cost was about $500. An amendment was signed to actually state what is permissible to flush, lol.

Bill
When they put "flushable" on the label, all that means is that it won't clog the toilet - in other words, that it can be flushed. It indicates nothing about what happens after it leaves the toilet.

Travelers in Latin America should be aware of the difference - in almost all areas TP isn't supposed to go in the toilets either, because of clogging issues.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
If I hadn't seen the clog with my own eyes I would not believe these wipes turn into a big wad of hard paper machete. The wording in the rental contracts says no foreign objects in the toilet and gives some examples which now include all wipes and paper products except regular toilet paper.

The sinks drains have verbiage about what is acceptable and not acceptable going down the drain. We had one guy put paint down a drain and it hardened to cause a clog. Another guy washed Fix All down the drain and it floated up to the bathtub drain. His wife called to tell me there was a white rock in the bathtub drain.

All of these people were and are very good renters. I put these in the s### happens file, lol.

Bill

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

x3 skier

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Had RotoRooter come out for a blockage. “Flushable” wipes and roots both were the culprits. Since it was a fixed price that was probably based just on a root clearance, I suspect they lost on this one since they planned on two hours and were here for four. No more “Flushable” in my plumbing systems.

Cheers

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
No Flushable wipe here. . They are going into a special trash bag. No "Flushable wipes in our septic tank system."

Last edited:

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Our sewer department has said even tissues should not be flushed. They don't dissolve like tp.
Good idea to put this in rental agreements. I'm sure most people have no idea.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score

"“There’s no such thing as a flushable wipe,” says Clean Water Services chief of staff Mark Jockers, “even the ones that say they’re flushable.” "

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
As noted upthread, "flushable" only means that the wipe will not get stuck in the toilet bowl. It doesn't mean that they are compatible with a sewer system.
Congress is starting to take notice. House appropriators this week included language in the fiscal 2022 Financial Services and General Government bill report that calls on the Federal Trade Commission to investigate the marketing claims of flushable wipe manufacturers and make sure companies aren't misrepresenting the nature of their products.

House appropriators noted in the bill that the FTC in 2015 hammered out a consent order with Nice-Pak Products Inc., a maker of wet wipes, in which the company agreed to stop advertising moist toilet tissue as flushable unless it could substantiate that the product is safe to flush.

In addition, Nice-Pak will stop providing trade customers, such as retailers, with information to make such unsubstantiated claims. Costco, CVS, Target, and BJ’s Wholesale Club were Nice-Pak customers that sold the formulation of the company’s moist toilet tissue that was the subject of the complaint under their own private labels.

Nice-Pak logo, 'breaks apart after flushing'
“The evidence didn’t back up Nice-Pak’s claims that their wipes were safe to flush,” said Jessica Rich, Director of the FTC’s Bureau of Consumer Protection. “If you claim a product is flushable, it needs to flush in the real world, without clogging household plumbing or sewer and septic systems.”

According to the FTC’s complaint, Nice-Pak violated the FTC Act by misrepresenting that a certain formulation of its wipes: 1) are safe for sewer systems; 2) are safe for septic systems; 3) break apart shortly after being flushed; and 4) are safe to flush. The FTC also alleges Nice-Pak provided the means and instrumentalities for retailers and others that marketed the product under their own label to make similar misrepresentations. The company’s tests did not reflect, real world household plumbing or septic conditions, the FTC alleged.

Last edited: