• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Are there membership fees payable to Summer Bay??

Farm girl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We just returned from a 2-1/2 month vacation today and I noticed from our telephone display that "Summer Bay" had made several attempts to contact us.

Shortly after getting the last of the gear out of our trailer, the phone rang and it was a lady claiming to be calling on behalf of Summer Bay. She told us that our membership fee was delinquent $127.00 and that's why she was calling us. She also said that the fees had gone up from $99.00 - which supposedly we had paid last May. Huh????

We have owned at Summer Bay/Ramada/Grand Flamingo Club etc. for almost 20 years and have never paid a membership fee...just maintenance fees. She also went on to state that we hadn't touched any of the $9000.00 worth of bonus goodies available to us from our purchase/upgrade. Again..huh??? None of this conversation rings any bells for me.

We did purchase a foreclosure Tower studio week last March (to get into points) but I don't recall any mention of membership fees and definitely don't remember any incentive bonus money etc. etc. The lady did have our correct mailing address but I think that can be come by easily.

I got the feeling she was trying to get credit card information over the phone so I told her I wasn't paying anything over the phone at this time and asked her to email me some information. This was a couple of hours ago and I haven't seen anything yet.

Has anybody had a similar experience lately with this type of thing? Am I right in feeling it might be a scam?

Thanks for any input you can give me.

Julie

timeos2

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We just returned from a 2-1/2 month vacation today and I noticed from our telephone display that "Summer Bay" had made several attempts to contact us.

Shortly after getting the last of the gear out of our trailer, the phone rang and it was a lady claiming to be calling on behalf of Summer Bay. She told us that our membership fee was delinquent $127.00 and that's why she was calling us. She also said that the fees had gone up from $99.00 - which supposedly we had paid last May. Huh????

We have owned at Summer Bay/Ramada/Grand Flamingo Club etc. for almost 20 years and have never paid a membership fee...just maintenance fees. She also went on to state that we hadn't touched any of the $9000.00 worth of bonus goodies available to us from our purchase/upgrade. Again..huh??? None of this conversation rings any bells for me.

We did purchase a foreclosure Tower studio week last March (to get into points) but I don't recall any mention of membership fees and definitely don't remember any incentive bonus money etc. etc. The lady did have our correct mailing address but I think that can be come by easily.

I got the feeling she was trying to get credit card information over the phone so I told her I wasn't paying anything over the phone at this time and asked her to email me some information. This was a couple of hours ago and I haven't seen anything yet.

Has anybody had a similar experience lately with this type of thing? Am I right in feeling it might be a scam?

Thanks for any input you can give me.

Julie

Sounds like your annual points membership fee.

abdibile

TUG Member
Reaction score
But the points membership fee should be asked for by RCI, not Summer Bay, correct?

Farm girl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Nope...we were all wrong

Here's an update on my first post.

After going through our purchase materials several times and then making telephone calls to Summer Bay and RCI to make sure our accounts with both were fine, I decided to call that "other" Summer Bay number to try to clarify the matter.

It turned out that the caller was with Summer Bay Vacations and, unknown to us, when we bought the foreclosed week last March, we had been enrolled in the Vacation club and the first year's membership fees were paid for us.

It's too bad that somebody didn't tell us about it when we bought as we had absolutely no idea we'd been enrolled and no ID number had been given to us so that we could access the website. Basically, a year's membership fees and benefits went down the drain because we weren't given that information.

Julie