• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Are renters this gullible?

tashamen

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc points (former Club Intrawest), Trapp Family Lodge
I've been looking for a Labor Day week trip - normally I use an AC to book something in II but don't have one available, so have been looking at their Getaways and see some really great prices for that week. Then, just to cover all the bases I looked on the Last minute rental board here on TUG and see that some folks are offering the same exact resorts during that week for more than twice what II is charging for them. I guess just because the maximum is $700 that's what people expect someone will be willing to pay? Why would I pay an individual several hundred dollars more than what II, an established company is charging? it just doesn't make sense to me.

(I don't want to mention the specific resorts because I don't want to take away any potential business that someone might otherwise get from the TUG ads.:D )

DEROS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Not just for II Members

Not everyone is a II member. So, if I am looking for that resort for that particular dates, I might consider $700 a deal compared to a hotel room. For example, I have been looking for rooms in GP Mar Brisa or GP Palisades. I found a rent ad for $1300 for a week. Can I get it cheaper? Yes if I can use my points to book it. (I already paid for the points). However, those resort have no openings for my time frame. As the date comes closer to my vacation, I will have to make a decision on paying rent, converting the points to get a hotel room, etc...

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
To access the Get Aways on II, you have to have a II Acct. - not everyone does.

tashamen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
To access the Get Aways on II, you have to have a II Acct. - not everyone does.

Yes, that's true - however much of that same inventory is available to the general public at condodirect.com - though at slightly higher prices.

BocaBum99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Timesharing is far from an efficient market. I'll bet anything that you have ever gotten in timesharing, someone else could have gotten for cheaper. We could argue why would you ever pay that higher price? Answer: Because you didn't know about it or didn't own or have the right membership.

Same is true for the examples you provided.

sfsailors

TUG Member
Reaction score
Then, just to cover all the bases I looked on the Last minute rental board here on TUG and see that some folks are offering the same exact resorts during that week for more than twice what II is charging for them. I guess just because the maximum is $700 that's what people expect someone will be willing to pay? Why would I pay an individual several hundred dollars more than what II, an established company is charging? it just doesn't make sense to me.

$700 for a Labor week TS is not a bad deal, even it's a studio.

tlsbooks

TUG Member
Reaction score
People renting aren't usually flipping Getaways (because that would be against the rules), they are usually trying to recoup their MF.

Liz Wolf-Spada

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Usually I check Tug rentals for family members looking for a vacation, as I am usually fully booked ahead of time for my vacations. I found my sister a great week at Wavecrest through Tug last minute rentals. I could look at AC availability and sometimes do, Getaways where I want to go seem high, so I guess I don't check them regularly. I see Tug last minute rentals as a courtesy to Tug members and I know $700 is usually less than our maintenance fees for the year. If I saw the same unit for a little less as a Getaway, I would probably email the Tug member and see if they would take less. I see it as a way to support our friends and family here at Tug, which gives me a different take on it, I suppose.
Liz

tashamen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I see Tug last minute rentals as a courtesy to Tug members and I know $700 is usually less than our maintenance fees for the year. If I saw the same unit for a little less as a Getaway, I would probably email the Tug member and see if they would take less. I see it as a way to support our friends and family here at Tug, which gives me a different take on it, I suppose.

I like this idea - I'll remember to do that in the future!