• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Are extra vacation weeks or discounts available?

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
TUG has set up a system for posting of groupings of forums which separates out generic "Timesharing" and the "Exchanging" forum from the specific "Timeshare Resort Systems" and this "Starwood" forum.

The "Timesharing" groupings are for: "Discussions about timesharing and how to get the most out of it."

The "Exchanging" forum is to be used to: "Discuss all aspects of exchanging timeshare intervals here, whether through Exchange Companies (RCI, II and Others), or directly with other owners."

The "Timeshare Resort Systems" groupings are for: "Discussions about individual Timeshare Resort Systems and ownership programs."

The "Starwood" forum is to be used for: "Discussions about the Westin / Sheraton branded TS network"

Some overlap is inevitable within these these groupings. However (and in opposition to TUG posting on the other branded network system forums), very little posting on this Starwood forum is about the Westin / Sheraton branded TS network, the SVN (Starwood Vacation Network). Most of the posting on this forum is dominated by persons who own non-SVN weeks which are outside the Starwood branded TS network.

Sometimes I forget that SVN matters only to network members. I posted what was required by Starwood for SVN network home resort reservation use. In post 3, I stated:

"For a resort where you own a fixed week, no trouble getting the fixed week. But, you usually have to call between 12-10 months of arrival to make the reservation. No call by 10 months and the fixed week turns into a float week. You will generally have 2 more months to reserve in season, but if the resort is all or heavily fixed weeks, you could have very limited availability because most of the reservation pool weeks will already be reserved as fixed weeks."

Correct, but only for SVN use; not for non-SVN use.

Despite separate rules for in network SVN and out of network non-SVN use and most posters not delineating whether they are posting about in or out of SVN use when they post (often me included), confusion can arise if someone posts about what is required for in network, SVN, use and the response is that it's wrong - but never mentions that it's wrong only because the poster's use is not SVN use. Or, vice versa. But, this forum will remain a forum where the posters are mainly non-SVN users posting about non-SVN use.

I posted about what is required in SVN for home resort reservations. By doing that, I caused the confusion. I accept the blame for causing confusion by posting about SVN use without recalling (until jerseygirl posted and the light went on) that those who disagree operate under completely different rules merely because they are non-SVN. Salty

dbmarch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Sunset Harbor
Hyatt Windward Pointe
Lakes works same as Cascades. In either section you can confirm your week. If instead you choose to reserve an alternate week, you can reserve out of Cascades or Lakes (or the Sheraton PGA). After 8 months the fixed week is released and its first come / first served in Cascades/lakes.

When you make your reservation, you definitely want to call. The mystarcentral is just a front end which basically submits an email to a person who will make your reservation. Much better to talk to someone so they work with you to find a unit configuration/week you want.

Jim, since you are reading up on this, can you please check out SVR Lakes for me? Thanks, :) SP

bankr63

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana Resort Orlando (2BR, Deeded Wk10) , Silver Lake Resort Orlando (3BRLO)
Correct. SVN weeks and non-SVN weeks are subject to different reservation procedures. The SVN procedures I quoted are posted on mystarcentral. The non-SVN procedures are found in the various documents recorded against the resort property.

Perhaps that's why the posts here are like two ships passing in the night. Salty

Agree that is probably where the confusion comes in. We are not in SVN but still access all the information about our unit and the resort and pay our MF's in MSC.

You had me very hopeful for a second there. I was really hoping that my unit WOULD go into a float pool as I need one week earlier than our owner week this year (our school district March break only lines up with our week about 90% of the time). That could have saved me an RCI exchange fee just to get back into our own resort...