• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Are CI rooms rare?

presley

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've tried to book CI Palm Desert a few times and haven't been able to. There was one time where I was able to book it 11 months out, but we ended up changing that reservation to something else.

I was checking on November and December and there is nothing open. She said she looked for someone else a couple days ago and there was nothing for the rest of this year, but looking for me just now, she sees that a few days in October just came available and I should check back frequently.

I have tried to book a summer there in the past and couldn't. The rep was very surprised that there weren't any rooms available because it is the lowest season there. I am wondering if the rooms are very rare and I shouldn't bother trying to booking them. I don't enjoy calling in every day.

tashamen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc points (former Club Intrawest), Trapp Family Lodge
I don't know what kind of arrangement HGVC has with CI, so don't know how much of the inventory is available to you.

I checked the CI owner webpage for availability at PD, and you're definitely late for October and November - there are only a handful of units available for 1 or 2 nights in those months. But beginning with the first week in December, there is plenty of availability in most types of units through the whole month.

clotheshorse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana (VV x 2), Hyatt KW, Hilton (3x), Tahiti Village
I've tried to book CI Palm Desert a few times and haven't been able to. There was one time where I was able to book it 11 months out, but we ended up changing that reservation to something else.

I was checking on November and December and there is nothing open. She said she looked for someone else a couple days ago and there was nothing for the rest of this year, but looking for me just now, she sees that a few days in October just came available and I should check back frequently.

I have tried to book a summer there in the past and couldn't. The rep was very surprised that there weren't any rooms available because it is the lowest season there. I am wondering if the rooms are very rare and I shouldn't bother trying to booking them. I don't enjoy calling in every day.

You have to keep trying and start early as CI has limited properties and they are popular with their owners, leaving limited supply for HGVC members. I was able to get a room the first week in December last year, even theen there was limited availability. It is a great property and I do look forward to going back. Good luck.

tashamen

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Embarc points (former Club Intrawest), Trapp Family Lodge
Another option would be direct exchange

To OP - a suggestion is that you could try a direct exchange with a CI member. One of them could book the CI resort for you through CI, and you could book an HGVC property for them through HGVC. CI doesn't charge anything for members to have someone else use their reservation - we just need to notify the resort before check-in.

Note that this is not an offer from me right now! But there are probably many of us CI members who don't belong to the Extraordinary Escapes program in CI, so HGVC properties are not available to us.

There needs to be a level of trust for this type of transaction, but I've received offers from TUG members to book them CI properties in exchange for one of their own ts resorts.

presley

TUG Member
Reaction score
To OP - a suggestion is that you could try a direct exchange with a CI member.

I'll consider that for the future. This particular try would involve me changing an existing HGVC reservation. So, a trade wouldn't work this time.

I do often see the CI palm desert deposits in II with my Shell, but those are for full weeks and I am usually looking for 3 or 4 night stay.

SLO-Hedger

TUG Member
Reaction score
I tried to make reservations at CI Palm Desert without success this whole summer.
Any chance HGVC would open its own resort in Palm Desert/Palm Spring? Marriott has a big presence there.

clotheshorse

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana (VV x 2), Hyatt KW, Hilton (3x), Tahiti Village
I tried to make reservations at CI Palm Desert without success this whole summer.
Any chance HGVC would open its own resort in Palm Desert/Palm Spring? Marriott has a big presence there.

That would be nice. Given the limited availability of CI, I currently trade into Westin through SVO. For CI, are you trying for a week? I have found success with three or four days when I talk with the HGVC agent. If you are flexible or can combine it with another Timeshare property in the desert, maybe this would be a strategy.

Last edited: